SaltCritters.com

RSM 250 AI Sol Blue D.I.Y

uxdesigner

Inspired by the Aqua Illuminations (AI) Sol Blue modules. I decided to build my own retrofit into my existing Red Sea Max 250 hood.

Specs:

48 3 Watt Cree LED's

16 Cool White

16 Royal Blue

8 Blue

8 Neutral White

4 Meanwell Drivers running 12 LED's each

Dimmable on a blue and white channel

Package Arrives:

7BF1031A-orig.jpg

Wiring and layout specs complete. I will be building 2 of these 16 x 6 (24 LED) modules.

RSM_SolBlue_Wiring.png

Carefully gutted the hood. (Available for sale, PM if interested)

B4CAC16C-orig.jpg

Installed the horizontal aluminum brace that will be used for mounting the modules. (You can also see I upgraded the fans to the Silenx)

A39A7E1E-orig.jpg

Used connector bolts attached with epoxy to create the mounting hardware.

7851F92C-orig.jpg

LED's attached (Thermal Adhesive)

0CB307F1-orig.jpg

71B01D26-orig.jpg

All wired up. Lit them up to test and damn these are bright!

CC88DF19-orig.jpg

Was able to fit the 4 Meanwell drivers in the hood and retain the stock LED moon lights.

6A9EA04C-orig.jpg

Installed the dimmer potentiometers under the timer lid (1 controls white, 1 controls blue). I really like the ability to mix the colors as well as slowly acclimate the tank.

70690C89-orig.jpg

Shot of the hood without optics for now as I still have a few things to clean up but needed to get some light on my corals that have been deprived for 3 days

69179528-orig.jpg

All I can say is wow these things are bright! Really happy I decided to go LED, the shimmer is awesome! This is a FTS with the LED's running at 15%% without optics and they are equal to the 6 stock T5's in brightness. Next I'll be adding the optics.

9E72EE9F-orig.jpg

I've heard of people burning their corals so I'm going to be safe and slowly acclimate. To be honest I don't think I will ever be able to run them at full brightness but we will have to see. Heat is zero, the air coming out of the side fans is cool compared to hot when the T5's were running. It's a great design as the fans blow air through the heat-sink fins from left to right.

Edited by uxdesigner
Nice job! Congrats. What did the whole build cost you?

Thanks! Everything was roughly around $500.

That is sweet! What ma are you running the leds at?

Thanks! The XP-E's can handle the drivers max but with the dimmers I'm at around half. The XP-G's are rated at 1000man max and I set the limit to 990mah and run those also at about half.

• 2 months later...

I did a 38 led upgrade in the hood as well. I used the kit from aquastyle leds. The colors really pop over the stock lights. So far everything has been opening bigger then ever. There was plenty of room in the hood for everything after you remove the stock lighting. I keep the stock moon lights, just had to move them in front of the heatsink.

post-66914-1326938551_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Looks great! I built something like this too for my 40b. Well done
Looks awesome! Makes me wish I did a diy build!
Very clean looking, nice work!
Your LED's rock.

Thansks everyone!

• 6 years later...