Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Noobs 10 gal nano

nano noob

Hello everyone!

This is my first saltwater tank but I have been keeping aquariums for almost 10 years now. Right now I have a 20 gal high low tech planted (might turn into high tech) and a 55 gal discus only with driftwood (once grown out I will add plants, etc). So I am not entirely new at keeping aquariums but have to say that saltwater is definitely keeping me on my toes :)

This 10 gal used to be a high tech planted tank until I tore it down and decided months later to turn it into saltwater, so I already had the tank, light fixture, heater, and filter. For now I will keep everything that I have and then when I decide to get corals, etc I will most likely upgrade my light fixture and turn the AC30 into a small refugium with just chaeto?

Tank Specs:

20"-24" 36w power compact fixture with 50/50 bulb

Hydor 100w heater Ebo Jager 50w

2x 1x Koralia nano 240 GPH

AquaClear 30 w/foam and bio max filter floss (cleaned couple times a week)

13 pounds of Fiji cured live rock

CaribSea Arag-Alive live sand (about 1" deep)

Tank is at the three week mark right now. First day I added 11 pounds of LR and the LS, a wek later I added another two pounds of LR and rearranged the tank to give it more caves and crevices.

The LR I got from my LFS and it came with a blue leg hermit crab, a bunch of feather dusters, Stomatellas, sponges, and some Asteriniid stars, and I am sure a bunch of other stuff :)

Yesterday I went to my LFS and picked up a red leg hermit crab and three Nassarius snails. Was looking to get more but the LFS was out of Cerith and Nerites :(

Here are some pics I took yesterday. Enjoy! :)

FTS!

6179517044_7f8620c95b_z.jpg

Nano Reef FTS (week 3) by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Blue leg hermit!

6178991561_f3cbbfd238_z.jpg

Blue leg hermit crab by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Red leg hermit

6179516806_0503ca4e8e_z.jpg

Red leg hermit crab by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Can anyone tell me what this is? Thought it was a feather duster but it has been growing?

6179517880_9546f46f6d_z.jpg

Coral? by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing! :)

Nice LR. That unidentified thing looks more like coral to me. Kind of looks like a white version of my sympodium.

Thanks!

Got really lucky with the LR it used to be in one of the show tanks at the LFS and was already covered in coralline algae. Thanks for the ID, still a noob so I googled sympodium lol and it does look very similar to what I have.

I wouldn't call that an ID :lol: I suck at that kind of thing, my best guess is it's in that same general family. But yeah I agree your LR is top notch.

Would like to see your discus tank, they are so cool.

That scape looks really awesome, i love that you have the rock with the coralline algae on it. im doing the same thing, im just surprised they sold me pieces from a show tank. lol

any stocking plans?

I wouldn't call that an ID :lol: I suck at that kind of thing, my best guess is it's in that same general family. But yeah I agree your LR is top notch.

Would like to see your discus tank, they are so cool.

Thanks! Here is my thread for my discus it has pics from day one up until a month or so ago and toward the end there are two videos.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.p...Santarem-Discus!

That scape looks really awesome, i love that you have the rock with the coralline algae on it. im doing the same thing, im just surprised they sold me pieces from a show tank. lol

any stocking plans?

Thanks! I was surprised too!

As for stocking I am not really sure yet.. Prob wait a week or so before I get any fish. I was thinking of getting a black and white ocellaris clownfish (maybe a regular clownfish?)and either a goby, damsel, or a royal gramma. Overall I will prob only have two fish, add some to my cleaning crew, and then when I think I am ready will start looking into soft corals. I would really like an anemone or some other coral that the clownfish can host in.

So clean! but love the scape, +1 to stocking plans?

Thanks! Hopefully I can keep it that way lol. Stocking plans are above :)

I've got a pair of black ocellaris clowns in my 12 gallon and they seem happy and have ample room for now, plus it adds some nice contrast colors to the corals with the black and white streaking across the tank all the time!

I've got a pair of black ocellaris clowns in my 12 gallon and they seem happy and have ample room for now, plus it adds some nice contrast colors to the corals with the black and white streaking across the tank all the time!

I agree. Plus I feel like everyone has a normal orange/red and white ocellaris clownfish. They have one at my LFS for $100 though! Not sure if this is normal price or not but before I spend that kind of money I am going to make sure the tank is 100% stable.

Here are a couple more pics I took today. Got more hermit crab pics and another tank shot, a little angled this time.

Angled FTS

6184318214_fa22a17abb_z.jpg

Angled FTS by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Blue leg hermit chowing down

6184318868_58de2f0bda_z.jpg

Blue leg hermit chowing down by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Red leg hermit

6184323618_1c35194de5_z.jpg

Red leg hermit on the move by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Red leg hermit, a little closer this time

6183808445_27b67b1bf0_z.jpg

Red leg hermit chillin by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Blue leg hermit on the sand (exposure a little off on this one)

6183800197_0a0be95fe9_z.jpg

Blue leg hermit on the beach by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

You can get B/W usually for $40-$50, $100 sounds way too much IMO. Are you sure it's for one fish and not for a mated pair? Or they are some fancy smancy design clown :P

hitch hiker looks like some kind of leather coral IMO

nice tank!

Thanks! Glad its a coral! Hopefully in the next month or so it will continue to grow and I will be able to get a better idea of exactly what it is.

Nice pics and a solid start :)

Thanks! :)

You can get B/W usually for $40-$50, $100 sounds way too much IMO. Are you sure it's for one fish and not for a mated pair? Or they are some fancy smancy design clown :P

Thats the price I see them for online, so when I saw it for $100 I was surprised. The sticker said nothing about a pair and there was only one in the tank? This LFS is expensive when it comes to certain items and livestock so I guess I am really not that surprised after all lol. Good to know that is not the normal price though.

Your tank is fantastic and your pic's are totally awesome. I'll be following your thread. I just started a set up very similar to yours and started a thread for it. Check it out if you get a chance.

Rob

from the Sunshine State.

Hitch hiker looks like a hydroid to me = BAD!!! Someone else may verify.. I had some in my tank and I just threw out the LR that has them.. They sting and irritate corals..

Your tank is fantastic and your pic's are totally awesome. I'll be following your thread. I just started a set up very similar to yours and started a thread for it. Check it out if you get a chance.

Rob

from the Sunshine State.

Thanks! Finally upgraded my camera to a DSLR a few months ago from a 35mm SLR that I have had for like 10 years lol. Such a big difference!

Hitch hiker looks like a hydroid to me = BAD!!! Someone else may verify.. I had some in my tank and I just threw out the LR that has them.. They sting and irritate corals..

I looked that up and it doesnt seem to be hydroid to me? If it is its only in that one spot and its been there for almost a month now so if I had to remove it I dont think it would be that big of an issue. Thanks!

i have a 10 gal thread too! nice start to your tank :)

Thanks! Seems like a lot of people have 10 gal nano's :D Its nice seeing what our tanks have in common and what issues or success people have had.. Its a good learning experience. ;)

Update!

Went to my local LFS over the weekend looking to get a fish. They still had the black and white clownfish for $100! I asked one of the employees why he was soo much since it is almost double the price that I have seen everywhere else? He said that the supplier that they receive them from are of a higher quality than most other LFS's. Dont know if this is true or not? After looking at the fish I realized that both pelvic fins were torn!? I asked the guy and he said that he came in damaged.. So much for having a good supplier?! Also told me that they received him two weeks ago. After all that I left!

Went down the street to a Reef Aquarium Store that I forgot was even there and found black and whites for $40! and they were in good condition. Also had some mocha clownfish which I guess are half black and white and half normal? Anyways they had a cool little guy for $17 so I ended up getting him! Pictures are below.

6206678252_bbe6fbd3d4_z.jpg

Mocha Ocellaris Clownfish by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

6206162191_9c18dc2f55_z.jpg

Mocha Ocellaris Clownfish by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Also here is a cool pick of my crabs just chillin together. Threw some food in there for them and the blue leg got to it first. So after a while the scarlet came over and pretty much took over and was moving the blue leg all over the place lol..

6206161823_57d1bd8ea2_z.jpg

Team hermit by Bradley Costa, on Flickr

Pretty clown, get him a partner. They like that :)

I know the whole thing about all clownfish being males then one will be dominant and become the female but there is no guarantee that they will pair right? So my question is if I have two in a 10 gal isnt there a chance they will always fight?

Also is it ok that I add one a week later if it is around the same size?

Thanks!

Archived