Cultivated Reef

Overgrown and neglected

sprinterpd

So the one thing that I didn't expect was that the LED light kit would cause so much crazy growth that I would have difficulty keeping up. So I have these brown corals that seemed to have gone into breeding and have taken over the entire tank. they are taller than everything else, so they are blocking out the light.

_MG_3229.jpg

I've got a bunch of angles, but it's pretty much all the same, brown over-growing and stifling the rest.

_MG_3234.jpg

Additionally, I can't seem to get rid of the red algae. Should I care?

_MG_3240.jpg

Finally, I recently started seeing this fern-like plant growing up from the middle. What is it???? I like it, but is it going to cause problems?

_MG_3237.jpg

In this shot, you can't even see my RIC underneath. what do you suggest? Just an Xacto knife??

_MG_3232.jpg

Tank is 10-gal with 3 nassarius and a few turbos. I have a peppermint shrimp and 2 clowns.

Cheers,

Michael

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well...... is it just me or do those look like apitasia?

edit:

beat to the punch again. i think ive seen only one or two other tanks that were more infested.

one was at the memphis zoo :lol:

well...... is it just me or do those look like apitasia?

edit:

beat to the punch again. i think ive seen only one or two other tanks that were more infested.

one was at the memphis zoo :lol:

Amen to those zoo tanks. I once saw a tank at Discovery Place in Charlotte that was full of aiptasia the size of my hand!! No lie..it was freakin' huge..didn't even know they got that big until then. :D

yea those are the biggest aiptasia i have ever seen. impressive really.

my vote...trash it and start over...

edit: by that i mean tear down the tank, cook the rock to a crisp and re-cycle

Okay, so where did these Aiptasia come from and do I have to start over and lose all the other stuff I've grown? I hate to have to trash the whole tank....

Michael

guess ill say it....

REDO THE TANK

new rock, new sand.

set everything else on fire and walk away

clean the tank and start over.

edit: @#$@#$??!!! beat again

Whoa! That's an insane aiptasia infestation!!! Drop like 20 peppermint shrimp in there and document it. =). That's kinda neat, but as long as it's not in my tank.

Drop like 10 Berghia Nudibranch in there as well.

The memphis zoo aquarium section is horrible. I wanted to take all the fish home. I couldnt believe that no one takes care of the part of the zoo.

i have an old friend that is a zoo keeper there, i just sent him some hate mail

i have an old friend that is a zoo keeper there, i just sent him some hate mail

Please do, I took a friend there that was starting a tank and said look at this. Youre tank should never look like this. She now understands how horrible that place is after looking at tanks on NR

guess ill say it....

REDO THE TANK

new rock, new sand.

LOL. Okay. So, DON'T give a few to a friend as a "gift". I'm getting that pretty clear. DON'T continue to purchase rocks from that store. DO use it as a chance to get a BIGGER TANK!!!!

Glad I could cheer everyone up....

MD

(increasing my hours of light. If it's a wash anyway, I may as well see how much I can get it to grow. I had to scrape out my Korillea Nano because it was so covered that the water stopped)

guess ill say it....

REDO THE TANK

new rock, new sand.

don't burn the fish lol

and at this point i would try peppermint shrimp. get like 5 or 7.

Please do, I took a friend there that was starting a tank and said look at this. Youre tank should never look like this. She now understands how horrible that place is after looking at tanks on NR

he says they are very underfunded and that 10 million would make it all better. i think they should have just given me the job when i put my application in 5 years ago

don't burn the fish lol

and at this point i would try peppermint shrimp. get like 5 or 7.

why so the apitasia can eat the shrimp? they clearly will out number them.....its too far gone,

there is a chance you can profit from this, find someone who is breeding the nuidibranchs and sell them to that person, use the cash to buy rock, guns, ammo and tattoos....

chance you can profit from this, find someone who is breeding the nuidibranchs and sell them to that person, use the cash to buy rock, guns, ammo and tattoos....

Getting the Tatt on the 27th, but there is a Fender bass I have my eye on......

Michael

NoChikenStrips

i'd say keep it and start a new tank. That is one amazing aiptasia dominant tank(aka pest tank).

That's impressive! In a wrong way.....but still impressive.

i'd say keep it and start a new tank. That is one amazing aiptasia dominant tank(aka pest tank).

That's impressive! In a wrong way.....but still impressive.

Pleeeease get a bunch of pep shrimp and nudibranch :wub: ... wanna see the aptasia come to an end :owned: ahah, might be neat to see..

This is insaneeeeeee!!!! I thought I had problems when I had like 30 of those guys...

I'd say you might want to invest in like 234892734982374923847 peppermint shrimp :lol:

Archived