Innovative Marine Aquariums

Eclipse 12 - Having Trouble....need advice

pufferboy

Well, it begins. I had a Eclipse 6 reef tank about 10 years ago, but have since decided to get back into the hobby. This time I am going with an Eclipse 12. I am setting out to do this in a very simple way and after a good amount of reading and research over the past couple months....thank you Nano-Reef.com and friends....I have come up with this plan, starting with my goals.

So Here Are My Goals

1. Simplicity.

(I work over 50 hours min. a week, have a beautiful wife and three beautiful girls five years or younger.)

2. Quality.

(I have perfectionistic tendencies....so we will see how this works.)

3. Inexpensive.

(I work a lot, but that does not mean I get paid a lot.)

Equipment for Now

Eclipse 12g (stripped down) (New $84, but had it already)

This is one that my 5 year old has been keeping Neons in. The screws in the hood have rusted and the pump has over heated. So....I am not using the hood at all. I am also going to not use the black structure ring at the top. Little concerned about structural integrity, but did some tests and I think it will be ok. Things still to do: Make plexiglass lid that will lift the light and paint the back with flat black paint.

post-68428-1315248529_thumb.jpg

Fluval 305 Canister Filter (New $110, but had it already)

I know....some out there are going to say that I should not use one. But, just chill for a second. I am not using it as a filter really. May add some carbon, will occasionally place in floss to clear water and then remove it. Truth is, I had it already and I like its versatility. Feel free to give suggestions on wise things to place in it, that may help overall.

Odyssea T5-20 (New $50 Shipped)

I know...few years back had some issues, but has been doing better since. Ballast are a cheaper version, and may have to replace those in time. But if you think about it. I am getting 72 W of lighting (2x18 10000k and 2x18 Actinic Blue) with LED moon lights for $50 shipped. I like that, and it fits my plan for how I am going to mount it.

post-68428-1315248586_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1315248634_thumb.jpg

Underwater Heater (New $11, but already had it)

Just a basic one used for a small tank. I may have to upgrade this later.

No Skimmer

Does not fit in with SIMPLICITY or INEXPENSIVE.

Stand, amish made coffee table. (New $200, but already had it)

For now this will do. It fits our decor, and sits at a height that our girls can see into. However, I am having to get creative to hide the canister filter. We are looking for the perfect set up to replace this.

So, for those keeping score. That is a cost of $50 for me, so far. New, without our unique amish stand, would be $255. So far hitting all three goals.

Now to the Live Stuff

Live Sand 20lbs ($27)

Went with 20lbs of the Carib Sea Oolite. This is really fine. Not going to lie, I wish i would have picked the Original Grade. The cloudiness is crazy. Going to pick up some filter floss to help. This is giving me a 4" bed. Will have to get some sand sifters for sure.

Live Rock 17.5 lbs ($105)

This is what I debated the most. Ultimately, INEXPENSIVE and SIMPLE won. Picked up some Fiji live rock from LFS (not really local, closest one is 35 minutes away.) It is fully cured and looks solid. Hoping for good growth and may pick up a seed rock from some place soon. Almost went with a Nano-Pack from one of two florida direct dealers because I liked the idea of the free creatures....but, the bad ones that can come with it scared me off. Plus, my LPS gave me a good deal that made the decision for me and I have no shipping cost involved. In the end, I saved money.....however, there is a part of me that wishes I would have spent more to get something better.

post-68428-1315248660_thumb.jpg

Extras

50lb bucket of salt ($50)

Test Kit ($50)

Dual Timer Power Cord ($50)

Total Current Costs

Live Cost $132

Equipment Cost $50

Extras $150

Total $332 (If I did not have the some things already: $537)

Set Up Plan

Specific Gravity 1.24

Temp is at 78

I lost my test kit, so I am going to need to pick a reef one up.

Please feel free to comment or add suggestions.

But, on all suggestions weight my goals into those thoughts. Hope this is fun to follow and maybe even helpful. I am getting ready to learn a lot.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have done some aquascaping. To say that I am unimpressed with my rock color would be an understatement. It is looking a little bleak. However, I am going to order 10 lbs from Gulf Live Rock. I will use the current rock that I have for base and seed with the new crazy live stuff. The extra I will place in my filter.

post-68428-1315703591_thumb.jpg

I need to buy a test kit. What should I be looking for? I don't want to test everything under the Sun, just the essentials. What company is the best for the money and what things are essential to keep track of?

The most cost effective route for testing is the API reef master kit, then supplement that with individual tests for ph ammonia and nitrite. You could also buy both the reef master and the ocean master kits, but that's slightly more expensive, and results in a couple duplicate kits.

+1 for API. Or just have your LFS do it if you are ever around there.

I lik the new scape! A little moe rock may be too much, although i see why you'd want something a little different.

Additives? I have heard add almost nothing.....I have also read post where people are adding 10 things a day. To be honest, not a 10 things a day kinda guy. So, what are the MUST have additives?

Also, what should I be placing in my canister filter if anything?

So, what are the MUST have additives?
For softies and regular water changes, nothing. Even one or two small LPS might be OK with water changes only. However, if you add a bunch of LPS or any SPS (or a clam), they will suck all the calcium/magnesium out of your water with surprising speed. That's when you need to start dosing alk, calc, and mag.

Since you don't have anything live corals, fish. Test your water all parameters then post em before adding anything live, iam gonna guess with that much rock your calcium is gonna be high....iam just curious as to water parameters with nothing in the tank to answer some questions

Thanks for the replies guys. I will be getting my new test kit soon (lost my last one). I will post those numbers. Also, this week will be getting my rock from Gulf Live Rock. I will be posting picks from package to tank and maybe a video. Then updating as it seeds the tank. I am being patient with this. So, that will allow me to really capture how the tank seeds over time. Gotta say.....I am pretty pumped.

Here are more pics of my tank. Under the LED moon lights.

I made a plexiglass top. Cut holes for the pluming and heater cord. Also left "wings" so that the light fixture can sit even (the eclipse bows in on the ends). Also, painted the back black.

post-68428-1315873839_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1315873881_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1315873953_thumb.jpg

I've not used them but everyone here raves about reefcleaners. I got mine from liveaquaria because I'm pretty loyal to them, they've done nothing but take the best care of me over the years (since around 2002 was when I first bought from them).

I just got an order in from reefcleaners. I order the quick crew for a JBJ 3 gallon (8 snails total) and got way more than that, about 50+ snails. I gave some to a buddy cause I couldn't fit all of them in my tank.

Ok...first hurdle. Only a day away from my seed rock coming in from Gulf Live Rock. I HAVE ALGAE. REEF CLEANERS, johnmaloney, man has been awesome. He has earned my business for sure. He is in the midst of looking at the following pics to help identify my little issue. I think it may be Hairy Algae based on his forum post on the subject. So, we will see where this takes me. Just added a new Plexiglass top and wondering if that could be a part of the issue or just a by-product of cycling.

post-68428-1315967546_thumb.jpg

post-68428-1315967588_thumb.jpg

In a related question. I am thinking of adding some of the following to my canister filter.....give me your educated thoughts. Purigen, Phosban, and Chemi-pure. If you know something else that I should have let me know. I know that these may overlap, but that is why I am asking. Fire away.

Here are my parameters. These are the things I tested for and what I came up with. I don't know that I am supremely confident in my abilities...

Calcium 480 ppm

KH 170 ppm

Phosphate .5 ppm

Nitrate 10 mg/L

Ammonia 0 ppm (was very surprised on this one)

Well those are the numbers...Help me know if that is good or bad.

I am about a week and a half into the tank being set up.

Is there anything else that I need to test for?

Thanks for you help.

Got the rock today from GULF LIVE ROCK. Dan was good to work with and I took pictures all the way through. I also took video and will try to put it together tonight.

I have some cool things that i will need help identifying. Pretty nervous about die-off. I found remains of brittle star and a really cool looking crab. Overall I am very impressed. I will likely need to rescape it a couple times, but we will just have to wait and see.

I think I have about 22 lbs of live rock right now. I know that it is high, but can't hurt can it? If I would do it again I would just buy the Gulf Live Rock nano pack that he offers. For $80 I think you get about 17lbs of rock with free delivery. Live and learn I guess. Well here are the pictures. Feel free to ask questions. I will update on things that I find, good and bad.

post-68428-1316135233_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1316135253_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1316135266_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1316135685_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1316135695_thumb.jpg post-68428-1316135449_thumb.jpg post-68428-1316135293_thumb.jpgpost-68428-1316135281_thumb.jpg post-68428-1316135724_thumb.jpg

post-68428-1316135713_thumb.jpg

Don't attach them to your post. You want to embed them via bbcode. First you need to upload your photo to imgur or photobucket. I will be using imgur for the example. Then you need to find your "direct link" it should look something like this: http://i.imgur.com/ViciP.jpg a direct link has the image file type (jpg, png, gif, etc.) at the end. Then you come here and you paste it between [ i m g ]*direct link*[ / i m g] (no spaces). And when you do that you get this:

ViciP.jpg

Well here are my test numbers. To say that this is has been a tough cycle is an understatement. Some small anenomes and some small clams have survived, but I have lost my Brain Coral and I am super bummed. I have diatoms and algae everywhere, think it may be time for REEFCLEANERS.com order. The owner has been awesome in helping me and deserves your business.

Here are my test numbers. Feel free to give me your thoughts.

Calcium - above 520 ppm

KH - 214 ppm

Ammonia - 0 ppm

PH - 7.8

Phosphate - .25 ppm

Nitrate - 10 ppm

Archived