SaltCritters.com

East1's 7G Truly Mixed Reef

East1

So I don't really like documenting progress, because I suck at it

But here it is, it's a 30cm cube holding 8ish gallons I believe. I've got it running a DIY biopellet reactor and a Deltec MCE600 which keeps the water super clear and all my levels at damn near 0.

Stocking wise I've got some S. hystrix and M. digitata and M. capricornis as well as some random Acropora, a bunch of LPS and some Xenia and ricordeas just for flavor. I'm a big fan of the natural look so some calerupa is dotted around.

in terms of fish I'm ridiculously overstocked but fear not as the skimmer and pearls handle this and there is an abundance of pods (somehow) that keep them fed plus some mysis every second day.

I've got a Trimma Cana, two false perc clowns and a yasha goby I never see, as well as a small Fairy Wrasse (I know, it dosen't behave like it's cramped, will upgrade as she grows)

Without further ado

Latest FTS

298464_10150781986900287_695125286_20547049_6583157_n.jpg

bwoodward0012

thats a lot of fish in there good luck with that. what kind of light are you running to be keeping all that sps? i have one sans sps because i don't trust my 12k par38 with the task of supporting sps

thats a lot of fish in there good luck with that. what kind of light are you running to be keeping all that sps? i have one sans sps because i don't trust my 12k par38 with the task of supporting sps

I've got a par 38 it's 27w I think, Its got 3 white 1 warm white 1 UV purple and 4 blue if I remember,

Since I switched from a TMC aquabeam tile I've managed to get my red montipora digitata to turn superman, and it bleached some ric floridas that where under 250w Metal Halides, so I think they are def up to task

Yeah the fish count is quite high, but the pearls and the skimmer perform fine and I added them very slowly, I do find nitrates start to rise if I don't clean my skimmer collection cup every few days though.

So I'm going to strive to keep this thread updated more often than I usually do.

I've got a Stylophora pisillata "Milka" on order as well as a nice green digitata which I can't wait for, I want to build the rockwork a little higher and make full use of it's cubey goodness.

Anyone have any idea how to entice my yasha goby to hang out in the open more?

bwoodward0012

where did you get your par38 from and what optics does it have? mine is only 5x3w overdriven to 21w. i would be worried about the wrasse jumping, i've been slow to add a fish to mine as im afraid most choices would jump.

Really nice tank, got to love TMC and there led's.

cheers mate! I miss my old one, It's just a par38 now :(

where did you get your par38 from and what optics does it have? mine is only 5x3w overdriven to 21w. i would be worried about the wrasse jumping, i've been slow to add a fish to mine as im afraid most choices would jump.

I got it off one of the guys on my local forum here, I'm not sure the wattage or so, it's running at 27 I believe but I want to get a Vertex illumina or something.

I've ordered a piece of custom cut acrylic the day I bought him, It's in the post should arrive tomorrow or the day after, as my glass lid couldn't accommodate the skimmer haha.

did the usual water tests

0ppm Nitrate

8.1pH

0.00phosphate according to API

Awh man what you doing messing around with them :P haha.

It took me ages to decide lighting to go for haha. Eventually decided to go with the aquabeam and i love it. The decision for me was the controller I now have sunrise and sunset :)

How does your biopellet reactor perform then?

Awh man what you doing messing around with them :P haha.

It took me ages to decide lighting to go for haha. Eventually decided to go with the aquabeam and i love it. The decision for me was the controller I now have sunrise and sunset :)

How does your biopellet reactor perform then?

I had the 1000HD marine white and it lit the tank up like a firework, but it didn't have enough blue and my sps where mostly brown :P when I switched to bluer light I got my digi to go superman and get color out of my granulosa etc, and the green plate to green up, I want the vertex for the sunrise sunset

it's intense!

the pellet reactor does it's job, you can see it simmering in the back, I get constant skimmate even with the huge skimmer, and my levels are the "ULNS" (hate that term) that everyone strives for.

I also get absolute tons of pods, it feeds the clowns and gobies almost entirely.

Is the sunrise controller worth it? It looks pretty good but I love the color controllability of the vertex, at a huge cost ! :(

Just updated my thread man, iv rescaped so i suggest you go have another look haha :). Thankyou for your comments mate.

That is proper sick watched it afew times to get my head round it haha.

Hummmm yeh the controller is really good, but its basically 1-100% over and hour or so you can change that mines set for like 2hours or something, and to be honest thats it, it doesn't do anything else haha.

Just updated my thread man, iv rescaped so i suggest you go have another look haha :). Thankyou for your comments mate.

That is proper sick watched it afew times to get my head round it haha.

Hummmm yeh the controller is really good, but its basically 1-100% over and hour or so you can change that mines set for like 2hours or something, and to be honest thats it, it doesn't do anything else haha.

I definately love the island look! and I'm glad someone else appreciates macro algae like I do! I'm assuming you're in the UK somewhere?

what are your stocking plans for that tank?

Cheers mate, Yeh its cool to have it mixed up abit haha. Yeh im in the UK mate, you?

Im not too sure really my local fish stores are not brilliant so it depends what they get in. Im going to be taking it to uni in a few weeks so i think its going to stay pretty much the same. I need to get a shrimp in there and apart from that i dont know. See how it grows.

You got any plans for your tank?

Cheers mate, Yeh its cool to have it mixed up abit haha. Yeh im in the UK mate, you?

Im not too sure really my local fish stores are not brilliant so it depends what they get in. Im going to be taking it to uni in a few weeks so i think its going to stay pretty much the same. I need to get a shrimp in there and apart from that i dont know. See how it grows.

You got any plans for your tank?

Yeah I'm in London, PM me, me and a mate have secured a supplier so we're getting in some nice big corals for not too much to share the love.

I dunno really I wanna get some rare aussie corals for the lower rocks and some nice colorful sps to add to the top bommie I think, perhaps a pistol shrimp to get the yasha to come out a bit. I used to take mine to uni and back but I'm going to live at home for a while now :P

I think fish wise I'm set though, considering i've got 5 in there now hehe.

Ah well then I think we will have to sort out abit of a deal then haha. I'm up north mate outside hull area.

Yeh to be fair mate you have quite abit of stock haha.

Ah well then I think we will have to sort out abit of a deal then haha. I'm up north mate outside hull area.

Yeh to be fair mate you have quite abit of stock haha.

Yeah I was expecting a flaming session, I think if my pearls or reactor pack up I don't have much of a window to fix things, but I'm happy with the way things are going

we're thinking of setting up a mail order site though, are you on UR?

Yeh, well if you did that I would definatly be interested in some new corals etc. Its hard with a pico as mostly round here as the corals are bigger/grown more here and I'm after buying frags to add diversity to my tank etc...

How did you make the reactor then? Any pictures haha. I quite fancy trying something new. I was thinking maybe in the return from my canister filter for carbon but not sure how this would effect the flow.

I'm not on nr mate but might have to sort that out.

Yeh, well if you did that I would definatly be interested in some new corals etc. Its hard with a pico as mostly round here the corals are bigger were as I'm after buying frags to add diversity to my tank etc...

How did you make the reactor then? Any pictures haha. I quite fancy trying something new. I was thinking maybe in the return from my canister filter for carbon but not sure how this would effect the flow.

I'm not on nr mate but might have to sort that out.

I'll post a build for it tomorrow, bascially it was a pico 200l/h pump and a bottle for airplane liquid from boots, and a pipe, drill a hole in the bottle and insert the pump, cut a hole in the lid for the pipe to return the water and fill with pellets, and a strainer if needed ( i didn't to save having to clean it, and my pellets don't go higher than half way ) all in all cost me under a tenner without the pellets.

Ah fair enough then I might have to look into making something like that. Does it restrict much flow maybe to much for my canister filter? What do you think mate?

Ah fair enough then I might have to look into making something like that. Does it restrict much flow maybe to much for my canister filter? What do you think mate?

I've got the 200l/h running at practically closed lol it needs to not be too much to not shear off all of the biofilm

Ah fair enough then, I think I might be alright running something like carbon then. I might just have to put a close tap at each end so that I can easily romove it to chance the media every few days.

I forgot to mention, all the kit on here is either home made or second hand from other reefers, wanted to see if something awesome can be done on a tight budget :D

Archived