Top Shelf Aquatics

Sweet<3's Clownfish Adventure

sweet<3

So I have been addicted to clownfish for a while and have been hoping to get into the breeding scene. I figured I would share my experience =) I am an EXTREME beginner so beware haha. I currently have nine pairs:

SPAWNING::

• Onyx x Onyx
    IMG_6746.jpg

• Darwin x Extreme Snowflake
    IMG_6753.jpg

First spawn:
    2-28-12.jpg

NON-SPAWNING

• {NEW} Semi-Picasso x Semi-Picasso
    IMG_6801.jpg

• Platinum x {Onyx} Percula (This is one of my babies, look how nicely its coloring up :D )
    IMG_6738.jpg

• Onyx x Platinum
    IMG_6741.jpg

• Misbar/Semi-Onyx x {Possible Onyx} Percula (This girl lost most of her beautiful black coloration. Hoping some of it comes back :( )
    IMG_6790.jpg

• Gold Stripe Maroon x Gold Stripe Maroon (Sorry for the pic on this one, the acrylic isn't the best)
    IMG_6795.jpg

• Darwin x Black Ice
    IMG_6768.jpg

• Naked Ocellaris x Naked Ocellaris
    Nakeds.jpg

• Darwin x Regular Ocellaris
    IMG_6781.jpg

Here is my broodstock system:

Messy as usual:

IMG_6826.jpg

Plumbing:

IMG_6822.jpg

Sump:

IMG_6819.jpg

Rotifers:

IMG_6827.jpg

MY FIRST ATTEMPTS (BACKSTORY)::

Last month (July 2011) my Onyx x Onyx pair laid their first clutch. I of course was on vacation and missed this =( They have laid two more clutches since. Although the male keeps eating most of the eggs, I attempted to raise what was left of the second clutch (around 19 eggs). In all 5 eggs hatched. 4 of the fry died within the first 24 hours. 1 lone survivor made it to about 40 hours. Not quite what I was hoping for, but it happens. The male ate all of the eggs of the latest clutch, so not sure when I will get another chance to try and raise the fry.

Here is the pair with the clutch I tried to raise:

SecondClutch.jpg

This week, my Onyx x Platinum pair laid their first clutch. The male ate all the eggs within the first 24 hours. I know this is common with the first few clutches, but I hope this trend doesn’t continue!

Here is the pair with their first clutch:

pairwitheggs.jpg

This is an exciting new venture for me! Hopefully, I can get the hang of it :lol:

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is awesome I'm a beginner and love clowns too!!! I currently have a drawing with a regular ocellaris, I'm locking forwar to breed some time in the future! I'm exited to see the odd combinations of this hybrid! altho some people disagree with that, +1

Well good luck with your clowns! I figure as long as breeders are open and honest about the lineage of the clowns they are breeding, then to each is their own!

Well good luck with your clowns! I figure as long as breeders are open and honest about the lineage of the clowns they are breeding, then to each is their own!

very nice pairs you got, and yes i understand on the egg eating part,,, argg ihate it lol,,, but hang in there by the time you know it you will have success, takes a couple tries, but once you do it well its papa's from there.. and dont let other breeders tell you otherwise, there's cool breeders like myself and there's breeders out there tht will tell you this and that just so you wont succeed, if you have any questions im here to try and help... welcome to the breeding world!!!

28g nano noob

So cool makes me want to breed then but guppies are 200000 times easier it seems but how many tanks and way size are they?

very nice pairs you got, and yes i understand on the egg eating part,,, argg ihate it lol,,, but hang in there by the time you know it you will have success, takes a couple tries, but once you do it well its papa's from there.. and dont let other breeders tell you otherwise, there's cool breeders like myself and there's breeders out there tht will tell you this and that just so you wont succeed, if you have any questions im here to try and help... welcome to the breeding world!!!

Thank you so much I really appreciate it! I feel a little overwhelmed and like I'm lacking so much knowledge haha. It's good to know that there are people willing to offer help!

So cool makes me want to breed then but guppies are 200000 times easier it seems but how many tanks and way size are they?

Haha I have never bred guppies so I can't comment but hopefully clowns won't be too hard! Right now I just have my broodstock tank set up (which is the picture I posted). It has ten compartments, but its really only two tanks. I have some other tanks to hatch eggs in and raise fry, but they aren't being used yet =(

Awesome :) tracking this!

Great! Welcome along for the ride!!

So I have some kind of awesome news. When I thought that I had lost all of my fry from the first clutch that I attempted to raise, I was so discouraged that I didn't even want to take the tank apart. I just left everything running. This morning, I was looking at it and found my survivor fry! I guess there were enough rotifers that I had added before to keep him alive because he has a big silver belly! I really hope this little guy makes it!

WOW - Certainly off to a nice start with some very nice brood stock - feel free to join un in the breeder lounge thread and don't hesitate to chime in when you have questions or need help.

For a beginner, you certainly seem like you know your stuff! Good luck and I will be following along :)

Haha thanks but I'm all talk :lol: I'm trying to learn all I can!

WOW - Certainly off to a nice start with some very nice brood stock - feel free to join un in the breeder lounge thread and don't hesitate to chime in when you have questions or need help.

Thank you I am a long time stalker of your thread =) The success that you and the other breeders have had is very inspiring!

Did you build your own setup?

I didn't exactly build it, but I have certainly done a lot of modifications haha. In my picture, the tank on the top shelf was a custom "breeder" tank that I purchased from another breeder. I didn't have to do anything to it. The tank on the next shelf down looks like it was a store display tank. It had a divider down the middle that I cut out. I ended up making my own acrylic dividers and sectioning it into five compartments. I had to drill it for plumbing because it wasn't drilled before. It isn't the best looking tank, but it certainly works =) I did all of the plumbing, which I made far more difficult than was necessary. The broodstock tank is plumbed into a 60-some gallon old acrylic tank with an ASM G5 protein skimmer and a ton of bioballs. I don't think the picture shows it but I had to make custom lids for the tanks, because I had a really pretty female snowflake jump out.

I like to think that I have all the kinks worked out of the system, but I'm sure that's just wishful thinking -_-

altolamprologus

Your setup looks really good!! Sorry to hear about the fish that jumped though :( It sucks when they do that, especially if they're pretty.

Your setup looks really good!! Sorry to hear about the fish that jumped though :( It sucks when they do that, especially if they're pretty.

Ya I had a make-shift cover on the tank, but she managed to squeeze through a half-inch gap. So I guess it was just meant to be.

Last night my single remaining Plat/Onyx egg hatched. It's now 24 hours old and still kicking so fingers crossed I can beat my old record of keeping fry alive for 48 hours!

28g nano noob

Haha I have never bred guppies so I can't comment but hopefully clowns won't be too hard! Right now I just have my broodstock tank set up (which is the picture I posted). It has ten compartments, but its really only two tanks. I have some other tanks to hatch eggs in and raise fry, but they aren't being used yet =(

yeah guppies r pretty eazy u let them do there thing wen the femail gets pretty big and has a nice black dot put her in the breeding net after she has them they go into a 10 gal were after 4 weeks i seprate the boys in1 10 gal girls in another but sw just is so much more intresting maby ill breed my clowns im getting here soon

• 2 weeks later...

The babies are from my Onyx pair.

Tomorrow my Onyx x platinum pair should lay =)

Crossing my fingers they don't eat them all again!

altolamprologus
The babies are from my Onyx pair.

Tomorrow my Onyx x platinum pair should lay =)

Crossing my fingers they don't eat them all again!

Make sure to take pics :)

Make sure to take pics :)

I will definitely try. I took pics and video of my Onyx pair laying another clutch today so I will post those soon :happy:

Archived