Innovative Marine Aquariums

Solana³: The Remix ft. Hydronaut

Hydronaut

Current FTS | (9/25/2011)

Solana_FTS%20%289-25-11%29.jpg

Intro

I originally purchased this tank in May 2011 in order to house a mated pair of F1 'Rio Monga' Amatitlania sp. ‘Honduran red point’ cichlids in a planted setting. I had always planned on moving on to reefing when I got around to buying a house, however shortly after setting this tank up I just couldn't resist the temptation to setup a reef system. And, being a design engineer by trade, I also could not resist the urge to tinker. Thus I have now ripped out the rear filtration system, installed an overflow, built a custom "display-style" sump/refugium in order to take advantage of the glass front on the stand, and packed the drawer full of all kinds of electronic gadgetry. So now it is August, 2011 - the construction is nearly complete and the last of the equipment is on the way. Cycling to commence in roughly 3 weeks. Thanks for stopping by!

P.S. The HRPs now reside in my 125g freshwater CA/SA tank across the room.

Tank Specs

• Display: 20"x20"x20" 34g Solana Cube modded with Glass-holes.com Super Nano Con Dientes overflow kit
  • Sump: 15"x15"x15" 14.6g custom built "display-style" sump/refugium, lit by a 6W 8000k Ecoxotic Stunner Strip
  • Lighting: Current USA Solana Pendant retrofitted with 250W Blue Wave MH Ballast
  • Circulation: Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10 EcoSmart | Hydor Koralia Nano 425
  • Return: Eheim Compact+ 3000
  • Skimmer: SWC Xtreme 120 Cone
  • Heating: CA 150 watt Titanium Reef Heater
  • Cooling: Azoo Quad Cooling Fan Unit
  • Controller: Neptune Apex Lite
  • RO/DI: BRS 75gpd 5 Stage *PLUS* System w/ Dual TDS Meter

Parameters

• Temperature: 78-79°F
  • Ph: 8.1
  • Specific Gravity: 1.026 (35ppt)
  • Alkalinity: 12 dKH

Livestock

• Coral Banded Shrimp
  • Pipe Organ Coral (Tubipora musica)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the tank when I first bought it. The original owner has already retrofitted a 250 watt metal halide in place of the stock 150 watt.

empty.jpg

front_left-freshwater.jpg

After filling the tank up with freshwater, I noticed the stand leaned a bit to the left. Nothing a few strategically placed decking screws couldn't fix. See the lean here:

FTS-freshwater.jpg

While fixing the lean, I also went ahead and refinished the top of the stand by sanding it glass smooth and adding a fresh coat of paint.

Nicee! Can't wait to see the sump and how everything is set up! Let's see some more pics!

Thanks! Here's a pic of the big pile of stuff that has been accumulating on my floor for the past 3 months:

pile_of_stuff.jpg

Seano Hermano

This looks like it is going to be good. :) I love the rimless tanks, especially cubes. I'll be following along with the build.

Seano Hermano

...lookin' good. ;) Is there a reason you had the box below the top edge of the tank rather than at the same hight?

...lookin' good. ;) Is there a reason you had the box below the top edge of the tank rather than at the same hight?

I'm shooting for a water level between 1/2" and 1" below the rim. The overflow box also came with a lid which adds another 1/8".

Seano Hermano
I'm shooting for a water level between 1/2" and 1" below the rim. The overflow box also came with a lid which adds another 1/8".

Ah, I see. ;) Sounds good.

I got the box without the lid. I wish I had gotten the lid. Though, I still have room to add it if I want one.

kevin-spacey-john-doe.jpg

Become vengeance, David. Become wrath.

Seriously though, what's in it? :lol:

Wait for it...

IMAG0167.jpg

Rocks!

IMAG0169.jpg

Marco rocks that is.

this is so epic! so nice to see someone to attemp to drill the solana.. looks great!

Thanks! The drilling went off without a hitch. I also had an entertaining exchange with the girl working the front office in my building when picking up this past shipment:

Me: I believe I had a package come in today

Her: Yes, you did. Hold on just a minute...[walks to back, and returns awkwardly carrying a heavy box]

Her: What's in the box, bricks??

Me: Rocks, actually...

Her: *laughs* (obviously thinks I'm joking)

Me: Actually, there really are rocks in the box. [points to shipping label with "Marco Rocks" printed on it]

Me: It's for the reef tank (since I have a constant stream of packages coming in, incl. a 60lb box of salt, they all know what the deal is)

Archived