Coral Vue Hydros

ShaqDan's 65g Rimless

shaqdan

I figured it was time to make my own thread regarding my little tank. I'm definitely no pro, but I am not looking to be one. The hobby is pretty relaxing, even if it can be expensive. In college (around 1991), I had a 55 gallon saltwater setup that was ghetto compared to today's standards. Back then, I knew nothing about flow, or the importance of water changes (and just clean water in general), or even the very basics, now that I think about it. It was simple. I had a tank, I had some fish (Yellow Tang, Naso Tang, a few others), and that was pretty much it. I ended up moving and tearing down the tank, and never set it up again.

Fast foward many years later, and I finally decided to get back into the hobby in January of this year. I bought a 29 gallon tank and stand (which I immediately regretted - it was too damn small!) and all of the trimmings. I set the tank up with live rock and sand, waited out the cycling process, and started adding fish. Of course, I was a little too impatient and lost a fish along the way (only one fish, though), but overall, things went pretty smoothly.

In May, I decided to get rid of the 29 gallon (sold to a friend), upgrade to the 65 gallon rimless tank in this thread, and transfer everything over. And I couldn't be happier. It is DEFINITELY still a work in progress ( I hate the current rockscape), but I keep reminding myself that it's not a race. Anyway, here are the details:

Tank Specs

Lighting:
Hagen 36" GLO Dual T5 HO 2 x 39W Lighting System (x2) w/
(2),
; TrueLumen LED Lunar Lights (Blue)

Protein Skimmer:
CPR Bak-Pak 2R+ Reef Ready Protein Skimmer

Filtration:
55 lbs Live Rock (more soon), Eheim 2217 Classic Canister Filter with Filter Floss, Seachem Purigen 100mL (2), & Chemi-Pure Elite Aquarium Filter Media (2)

Substrate:
Tropic Eden Miniflakes Aragonite Sand

Equipment:
Jager 150W Heater

Circulation:
Hydor Koralia Evolution 1050 Aquarium Circulation Pump, Hydor Koralia Evolution 750 Aquarium Circulation Pump

Cooling:
AQAUTEK ChillMaster Aquarium Cooling Fan 4 Fan Model

Water Purifier:
Mighty Mite 50GPD with DI Added

Fish

Blue Hippo Tang
(Paracanthurus Hepatus)

Kole Tang
(Ctenochaetus strigosus)

Lyretail Anthias x2
(Male & Female)
(Pseudanthias squamipinnis)

Melanurus Wrasse
(Halichoeres melanurus)

ORA Grade B Picasso

Yellow Tang
(Zebrasoma flavescens)

Invertebrates

Cleaner Shrimp

Dwarf Cerith (20+)

Florida Cerith (50+)

Nassarius Vibex (15)

Turban Snail (7)

Turbo Snail (2)

Corals

Acropora Millepora Coral

Bali Green Slimer Acropora

Daisy Polyps

Duncan Coral

Euphylia Torch Coral

Frogspawn

Green Palys

Green Pocillopora

Orange Tube Coral

Pink Star Polyps

Toadstool

Random Zoanthids

Maintenance Routine

Clean glass daily

Top off with RO water as needed

10gallon water change every 2 weeks

Clean Canister Filter & replace Filter Floss at the time of water change

Replace 2x Chemi-Pure Elite & Purigen every 6 months

Latest FTS

(8/2/2011) New rock recently added from Reefcleaners, which explains the bright white rocks you see.

110802dsc00651.jpg

Pictures

ORA Grade B Picasso

110718dsc00451.jpg

Lyretail Anthias (male)

110729dsc00251.jpg

Lyretail Anthias (male& female)

110729dsc01141.jpg

Kole Tang

110729dsc00811.jpg

110729dsc00831.jpg

Love that anthias! I had a squareback pair with my first saltwater tank. I also really love the look of these rimless tanks, very sharp looking.

Thanks for the comments, folks. It still needs quite a bit of work, but if there's one thing I have (allegedly), it's time.

Great job! I love the Kole tang. I'm thinking about getting one for my 40breeder ;)

I really dig the Kole as well. He is always scrounging for algae in the tank (as you can see in the picture I took). The Yellow Tang rarely does it, in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting frustrated with the noise of my overflow/sump setup. Coming from a freshwater aquarist background I am really comfortable with canister filters. I also have a fluval 205. Are there drawbacks to using a canister filter as opposed to a sump? Does it matter that I basically dont have refugium? Yours seems to be working very well.

I definitely couldn't answer that, since I have never owned a sump. I'd say the one drawback would be if you were lazy and didn't take care of the canister. I make sure to clean mine every 2 weeks, replacing the filter foam sponges in it, the filter floss, etc. I went the canister route because when I had the tank made, I didn't have him drill it. It was a choice I made and I can live with it. Perhaps I'll add a sump one day, but for now, I see no reason to fix what ain't broke.

I definitely couldn't answer that, since I have never owned a sump. I'd say the one drawback would be if you were lazy and didn't take care of the canister. I make sure to clean mine every 2 weeks, replacing the filter foam sponges in it, the filter floss, etc. I went the canister route because when I had the tank made, I didn't have him drill it. It was a choice I made and I can live with it. Perhaps I'll add a sump one day, but for now, I see no reason to fix what ain't broke.

I see that you are located in Houston. Where did you get your tank from? I am in the market for a new tank (in Houston) and like the look of yours...

-Bryan

I got it from a LFS called Fishland on Westheimer (love the staff there). They have a guy who makes them. Rimless, you can get it reef-ready (drilled with an overflow) or without the overflow. Stand included for around $325 (costs a little more if it has the overflow). You can pick the color of the stand (cherry red, black, etc).

Thats a steal at that price... With the stand too?!? I just paid 500 for a 75, tank only. And its only rimless on the top. Still has the ugly rim around the bottom lol.

I got it from a LFS called Fishland on Westheimer (love the staff there). They have a guy who makes them. Rimless, you can get it reef-ready (drilled with an overflow) or without the overflow. Stand included for around $325 (costs a little more if it has the overflow). You can pick the color of the stand (cherry red, black, etc).

What I would do to live in a place with a store like that. I was talking to my lfs about upgrading tanks and they weren't even positive they could get a 40 breeder lol.

Here is it on the stand. I opted for the Cherry Wood to match the rest of my furniture. It doesn't have tons of bells and whistles, but it's perfect for what I use it for (holding a tank and storing crap under it).

110825dsc00141.jpg

A few new pics:

Picasso

110812dsc01141.jpg

Radioactive Dragon Eyes, maybe?

110824dsc00361.jpg

Pink/Purple Palys

110824dsc00101.jpg

Dasies

110808dsc00621.jpg

Frogspawn

111007dsc00151.jpg

Pink Millepora

111007dsc00091.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Added a Blue Hippo Tang because my tank needed COLOR! Here he is being cleaned by the cleaner shrimp:

110901dsc00341.jpg

110901dsc00351.jpg

And here's another of the Picasso, just because.

110901dsc00291.jpg

Great pictures mate and nice tank. Everyones tank is a work in progress ;) haha.

Just wondering how do you find the canister on such a big tank? Iv always thought this would be to little filtration... obviously not :) haha

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, the canister works pretty well. I clean it every 2 weeks, changing out the filter floss. My fish seem happy and the corals are doing good (although they don't grow as fast as I would like, but I have no previous experience to know if they are "slow" or "normal". I'm pretty content with how things are at the moment. The only thing I'd like to change is to get a new light fixture with 6 bulbs instead of my current 4. Maybe when I buy a house, I'll invest in something fancier. There's plenty of inspiration out there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks! I actually bought the Picasso from another person on these boards. He had 2 and one had died, so he sold the one I got. I paid $65 (shipping included) for it. It's a great fish.

Archived