SaltCritters.com

Bug's Do!Aqua 60f (inventing tank names..)

Bug

It's a slow build.. mostly cos i'm super busy with work atm, but hayyy we'll get there eventually :)

and.. I like to use smilies. a lot.

Here's my list for you guys to take a squizz at:

Equipments and what not

Display: Do!Aqua 60-F (....frankly I have no idea what these are called but it's like an ADA 60-F)

Lighting: EcoTech Radion xr30W :wub:

Filtration: Eheim Ecco Pro 2034

Currently running:

1. Pre-filter

2. Filter Floss

3. Zeovit (Korallenzucht) activated carbon

4. Purigen

Circulation: Vortech MP10ES

Heater: Hydor eth 200W

Top-Off + Container: Tunze Osmolator 3155

Dosing/Supplements: AquaVitro by Seachem range: fuel (once a week) and vibrance (once a week)

No skimmer, no sump, keeping it real simple and using NSW (I live in Australia) 10-20% weekly water changes :)

Livestock

So far it looks like this:

Fish/Inverts:

- 2x black ocellaris clowns (Charlie and Stripes - errr stripes doesn't have a middle stripe :blush: )

- Jacques my cleaner shrimp

- 3 blue legged hermits (from my last tank)

- 6 nassarius snails

- tongan conch snail "Elephant"

Corals/Others:

- 10 x various zoas (no idea what sort)

- 3 x acans (no idea what sort)

- frogspawn

- short tentacled orange fungia plate

- some sort of ric

- green mushie

Here's my current FTS

01/05/2012

04b26c15.jpg

06/04/2012 (awkwardddd super blue.. might try and take a daytime shot tomorrow and upload that instead..)

cd640643-1.jpg

02/02/2012 :lol:

IMG_5959.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey a fellow Melbournian! All sounds great and look forward to seeing some tank shots.

Any fish stores you recommend? I am just setting up a couple of picos, heading to Bunarong in Frankston tomorrow =0)

Hey a fellow Melbournian! All sounds great and look forward to seeing some tank shots.

Any fish stores you recommend? I am just setting up a couple of picos, heading to Bunarong in Frankston tomorrow =0)

YAY someone from melbourne! how did bunarong go? (i havent checked it out yet). I hang around Reeflections (nepean hwy, near moorabbin station) that place is insane! the guys there are awesome too, they know what they're talking about :P) ..ima keep a close eye on your build now heh

YAY someone from melbourne! how did bunarong go? (i havent checked it out yet). I hang around Reeflections (nepean hwy, near moorabbin station) that place is insane! the guys there are awesome too, they know what they're talking about :P) ..ima keep a close eye on your build now heh

Bunarong was excellent. It's where I got my LIVE live rock from =0)

I'll have to check out Reeflections - I think there are a few other aquariums around there, yeah?

• 3 weeks later...

so it's been awhile… still no water - booooooo!! but I thought I should update this thread and let you guys know what's been happening.. a little has changed, but not too much. this time I actually have some photos for you guys :happy:

i'm going to thailand/hawaii in the next coming months, so i needed the cleaning regime to be fairly straightforward and maintenance to be easy for whoever's looking after the tank whilst i'm gone (plus perfect opportunity to keep the costs down :lol: ) this means, out with the zeovit method (sorta crushed about that) might do it next year when tank is established and i'm not on holiday so much.. depends on how the tank performs on what it's on atm.

decided to change it up to this:

- no skimmer (change)

- no sump (no change)

- eheim 2213 filter running activated carbon, eheim substrate pro and filter floss

as for dosing, it's going to look like this - if you can call it dosing… lol... all products are from the aquavitro range:

- calcification

- ions

- fuel

- vibrance

- balance (…maybe)

all of the above will be in moderation, depending on the needs of the corals and the results i get from the test kits… i do plan on trying out SPS with this regime… just to see how it goes

the only reason i chose to go with seachems aquavitro range is because i used it prior to trying out zeovit method. i really liked the results i got from it, and it was straightforward and easier to use (plus you can pretty much dose them simultaneously, without any of the bad affects)

anyway… onto the pictures :happy:

here's the tank - with my fake lily pipes..

IMG_1966.jpg

gots mah eheim 2213 and epoxy :happy:

IMG_1837.jpg

hydor eth 200W (12mm) = check!

IMG_2117.jpg

Vortech mp10es + beer in background = CHECK!!

IMG_2116.jpg

sexy ATO with magnety goody type thing = check

IMG_2096.jpg

other than that - still need to finish off my DIY light stand - should be finished up tomorrow and we'll see how that one turns out…..

Sounds like a good start! Be sure to include lot of pictures :D

hehe thanks heaps :) absolutely love your tank!!! sat for a good few hours on my iphone flicking through it on the train haha :lol:

hehe thanks heaps :) absolutely love your tank!!! sat for a good few hours on my iphone flicking through it on the train haha :lol:

I like your ATO Switch Holder, Did you make that?

I like your ATO Switch Holder, Did you make that?

I was going to - but found a sweet deal online… something like AU$30 for the ATO switch and the pump altogether - I took a photo of the whole thing for you if you wanted to check it out and track it down :)

It's of solid build and works perfectly, I'm definitely happy with it :happy:

IMG_2144-1.jpg

Not sure if you guys perved at my other thread in the bio filtration part of the forums click here to see it (i put in pictures too..YAY) where my ex (who i used to live with) decided it'd be an awesome idea to put all my live rock in a bucket with a lid and no powerhead, just for giggles <_<

Saturday was spent sifting through egg water looking for rock. It's now been sitting in my bathroom (its on the floor in a spare tank :lol:) on the bright side, smells less and its not so grey, its actually got a bit of colour in it. took some tests yesterday, I'll test it again on Tuesday to see where it's at.

I would put it straight into the tank and get everything set up. But its in my bedroom and I learnt about the rancid-fishy-"it smells like im at the beach" smell with the curing process. So I'm going to do it in a seperate tank and wait till its done round 1 of curing, ill take it out aquascape and put it in the new tank with sand and water - sahhhhhhh excited!

Anyway, here's the photos

IMG_2137-1.jpg

IMG_2140-1.jpg

IMG_2135-1.jpg

Hopefully it's on it's well on its way...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I was going to - but found a sweet deal online… something like AU$30 for the ATO switch and the pump altogether - I took a photo of the whole thing for you if you wanted to check it out and track it down :)

It's of solid build and works perfectly, I'm definitely happy with it :happy:

IMG_2144-1.jpg

id love to have that. possible to get that in the us?

id love to have that. possible to get that in the us?

I'm not sure if you can get it in us (I'm from Australia) having said that... it's called the "wavereef auto top off"

Here are the links to where you can get them in Aus :) I'm sure if you email them, they'll ship them out to you :)

Single Float Assembly

Two float assembly

so...a few days later... I get there with finally getting around to it..

I have "instagram" "@buglovesleaves* if anyone on here has one and wants to follow.. so all my pics are iPhone edited goodies. I know you guys don't read the text here so uhhhh here's a bunch of photos :happy:

I reckon it turned out well :) it's literally right next to my bed and all I need now is to get my light stand figured out lol

finally putting it into position!

fa8f6b41.jpg

Filled with LR - then decided LHS was wayyyyy too packed with rock..

4fb4a7fa.jpg

After the sand settled yesterday :) (07/02/2012)

470b723c.jpg

Meet Jacques, I've had him for over a year :lol:

44b9152d.jpg

Charlie :wub:

1fa0547a.jpg

Err.... Charlie again

281232cb.jpg

Random $5 mushie I picked up lol that's exactly the colour it puts out under my light

2913d9a5.jpg

I didn't grab any other shots of corals - it's my birthday today (yay I'm 22 :D ) so I'll get round to stocking it slowly over the next few months/year etc lol :)

I got a surprise "orange dash goby" from my parents this morning - he's sitting in another tank for today till I get home at work (hehehe yes I'm typing this up at work) although I honestly don't think its a dash goby.. its a solid straight orange line from head to tail... so mm any thoughts? lol

he's eating though and seems super happy in his tank, so as long as that's ok he should be fine right? :huh:

i love the look of rimless tanks...nice looking build, i'll definitely be following this.

awww thanks heaps :happy:

still learning for sure, so hopefully this tank turns out alright lol def stick around and follow :D

Happy birfday! Looks great

yayaya! :lol: thankyou

...must invest in new camera...

so this is the guy I got for my birthday - his name is Cyril... :lol: probably easier not to ask about that

my parents said he was labeled as an "orange dash goby" but after some googling he's not an orange dash goby LOL

he's sorta destroyed my aquascaping with his extreme sand sifting skills <_<

any help on identification please ??

not too fussed on what he is, hes bright, healthy, eating like a pig and swimming around, would just be nice to know what he is lol

293706db.jpg

6e7abad2.jpg

• 1 month later...
any help on identification please ??

I am thinking Cyril is an Valenciennea longipinnis but it is really hard to tell from your pictures. Might be a Amblygobius decussatus too. Hard to tell for sure from those shots.

I am thinking Cyril is an Valenciennea longipinnis but it is really hard to tell from your pictures. Might be a Amblygobius decussatus too. Hard to tell for sure from those shots.

:happy:

thankyou for the ID :D

i ended up posting the question in the id thread as well just in case. i think he might be a hybrid.. i spoke to my LFS and they agreed, and then said he'd grow up to 5-6inches and then errr i panicked... cos i dont have that sort of space - that's what she said.

ended up donating him back today - sad but he looked happy in their big tank lol so all good in the end :)

updates! :lol:

so last weekend i picked up three acan.. (..id like to say frags here but umm its more like colonies)

anyway, havent quite figured out where i'm going to put them/if i'm going to get them fragged and then sell the rest on? decisions, decisions.

oh and i had the biggest ugliest diatoms outbreak. seems to be okay at the moment, im hoping its subsided...

who reads this stuff anyway? ;)

PICTURES PICTURES PICTURES (err all iPhone4, so excuse the quality of AWESOME)

Micromussa

48d6f1da.png

top-down of charlie (and elephant..)

e0702edd.png

frogspawn

7116ddea.png

mah zoas

11712a1d.png

3d384611.png

acans <3 (doesn't do them justice at all.. must get a camera..)

58fe2226.png

ELEPHANT (my tongan fighting conch, i am actually in love with him, he's the coolest little guy)

ead5ac93.png

This tank is sweet!! Where do you by the Do! Aquas in aus?. What do you think about the radion??

neonstingray

Sorry if it was mentioned in your thread? But where is that tank stand from? Is there any way you can make the same one appear 3 feet to my left, so I can skip attempting to build an ADA style diy one for my 60-P?

Austin

Archived