Coral Vue Hydros

fifty50's ADA 60P

fifty50

Current FTS 3/6/12

P1040077.JPG

=========================================================

Hey everyone. After a ~5yr hiatus from the hobby, I'm back! One day I randomly started browsing the NR forums again. One day turned into a few days. During this time I saw all these beautiful ADA tanks many on here have. It gave me the itch to start another tank and I decided to go with the 60P. This time around I'm going the KISS route. In the past I've had a 20H SPS tank with a fuge; before that was a custom acrylic 10g with fuge; before that was a 5.5g tank (my first try at the hobby). For the 60P I'll be relying on biological filtration and routine water changes.

Now enough with the history, here comes the next endeavor!

• Tank: ADA 60P
  • Lighting: 24" Aquaticlife 4x24w T5
  • Controller: Apex Jr
  • Water Movement: Tunze 6025 Vortech MP10es
  • Water Movement: AC50 with inTank basket (filter floss and purigen)
  • Heater: Jager 50W
  • 20lb of Live Rock
  • 20lb of Fiji Pink Live Sand

• Black Ice Clownfish pair
  • Midas Blenny
  • Fire Shrimp
  • Hammer Coral
  • Zoanthids - vivid rainbows, candy apple reds, captain americas, red hornets, PPE's, nuclear greens, purple deaths
  • 10gal CUC from ReefCleaners.org

It begins!

P1030536.JPG

P1030545.JPG

less than 24hr's later; less cloudy

P1030550.JPG

Monthly FTS Pic History ======================================

FTS 7/24/11

P1030555.JPG

FTS 8/16

P1030614.JPG

FTS 9/28

P1030771.JPG

FTS 10/21 - 3mo Anniversary!

P1030795.JPG

FTS 11/23 - 4mo

P1030839.JPG

FTS 1/23/12

P1030969.JPG

As always, questions/critique are welcome!

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks awesome. I really like the rockscape! Good luck with the cycle and everything. I just started putting coral in my 60-P

It looks awesome. I really like the rockscape! Good luck with the cycle and everything. I just started putting coral in my 60-P

Thanks! Good luck with yours!

Looks good!. Where did you find a nice looking stand at?

It's actually the Casa Moda sofa table from American Signature Furniture.

Looking good! Definitely interested in seeing how the biological filtration works out.

thanks! i don't see why it wouldn't work :D

Nice tank! I really like your aquascape :) what do you plan on filling it with?

thanks! i think aquascaping is my least favorite part of this hobby!

in the past i had a pair of clown fish, along with a yasha goby and pistol shrimp pair. i'm thinking of going down this route again. as for coral, i'm going for color! exotic/colorful zoa's and SPS! i can't wait!

so i'm really tempted to pull the trigger on a MP10es to replace the tunze 6025. been having some issues the past few days with placement of the tunze so i don't get small sand storms in the corners.

how does the MP10 work with surface scum since it would be the only water movement for the tank?

nice. wb

Thanks adin, i'm excited to be back!

cycle is basically over, will do a WC tomorrow. ordered the CUC for delivery early this week. ended up ordering the 10gal quick crew plus 5 assorted hermits from reefcleaners.org. have heard nothing but good things, and that they usually throw in extra so i went with the 10gal crew instead of getting a 20gal crew and have way too much.

i decided to hold out on the mp10 (for as long as i can at least). seems i have the tunze dialed in where it's not blowing sand out from anywhere. i visited a LFS to browse this afternoon and was tempted to get one if they had. 1) they were out of stock, 2) they sell the mp10es for $299 :o i'll obviously order online when i'm ready.

CUC was shipped yesterday. Guess I'll get it tomorrow since I didn't get any boxes today. Also another 2 goodies (hardware) which I should get soon. Stay tuned!

Update: ordered some new hardware. ended up getting a mp10es to replace the tunze. so far so good, but not enough surface agitation so i'm getting some surface skum (ugh). also pulled the trigger on a used remora nano. i'll see how well it works with the tank and if it's not too much of an eye sore i'll keep it.

got my CUC from John at reefcleaners.org on Thursday just in time for a bloom of hair algae. what a pleasure to deal with John; i'd definitely recommend ordering from him!

also noticed some sort of macro algae (?) growing on one of the rocks. this was a piece of LR i got from a LFS to seed the rest of the rock i had. it's in the first pic; anyone able to ID?

thanks for looking!

need ID:

P1030571.JPG

Left Side:

P1030580.jpg

Right Side:

P1030576.jpg

FTS 8/7:

P1030563.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

updates! the 'hall of fame zoa' pack was delivered from joeknowsreefs.com last friday. pleasure to deal with this vendor! also ended up getting a fire shrimp and hammer from a LFS on sunday. everything looks to be doing well. shrimp ended up molting yesterday. was going to wait a few days to mount the zoa's to LR to keep from stressing them any further after the shipment, but will now be waiting a bit longer. ended up getting stitches on my right index finger last night! battle with a knife when cleaning it, and the knife won! -_-

anyways, enjoy the pics!

vivid rainbow

P1030584.JPG

captain america

P1030588.JPG

jen dub yellow jacket

P1030589.JPG

red hornet

P1030592.JPG

ppe

P1030594.JPG

tubs blue

P1030597.JPG

candy apple red

P1030601.JPG

purple deaths and nuclear greens

P1030602.JPG

hammer

P1030607.JPG

fts 8/16

P1030614.JPG

Not to copy everyone else but...

I really like your scape!!! How many gallons is it? I'm not up on my ADA lingo, don't know what a 60P is :blush:

nice scape

Not to copy everyone else but...

I really like your scape!!! How many gallons is it? I'm not up on my ADA lingo, don't know what a 60P is :blush:

Thanks everyone!

The 60p is about 18 gallons.

i want to do the same exact thing, how are you dealing with the surface scum?

Good question. I'm still trying to figure that out. I picked up a used remora nano but just didn't like the noise and aesthetic. Kinda thing about an ac fuge with intank media basket and run some sort of media to help out with it. Right nownive been doing weekly water changes but I still get the scum. May also raise the mp10 an inch or two. I tried running it at 100% constant flow for a few minutes but it didn't do much.

Suggestions are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

update:

tank has been up for a bit over a month now! nothing really new except for adding an AC50 with surface skimmer attachment. i got tired of surface scum and bit the bullet. the tank isn't as 'clean' anymore but i can tolerate it for a crystal clear surface. currently just running the stock basket with filter and carbon. will eventually get the inTank media basket. not sure if i'll set it up as a fuge or go with some combination of media. suggestions?

no new additions either. zoa's were all glued to LR; the PPE is budding another head! going on vacation for a week starting this weekend. once i get back i'll be adding a pair of clowns. not sure what type yet, but i sure do like the look of the black ice kind.

thanks for looking!

Hey, you achieved a great aquascape. I also like the fact that you are going to run this set up without all the fancy equipment. My 50g tank ran in a similar way for over 6 years and my current set up (Solana 34g) runs pretty much in the same.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

• 3 weeks later...

added a pair of black ice clownfish to the tank the other day. so vibrant in color and doing well in the tank. the wife named them juice and vitamin (vitamin pronounced bear grylls style!).

juice on the left, <bear grylls> vitamin </bear grylls> on the left!

P1030683.JPG

FTS 9/15

P1030651.JPG

enjoy!

Me want.

Amazing clowns.

definitely are. i've had a pair of ocellaris in the past and the differences are night and day. but then again, so is the price difference! :tear:

haha. love the bear grylls name

lol, yea. i'm not into the whole naming thing, so whatever makes the wife happy. especially if it distracts her from all the receipts for the tank! ;)

Archived