Coral Vue Hydros

QF's 33 gallon long

quickfinger

quickfinger

So after lots of dreaming and reading and measuring, I decided to replace my Nanocube 12DX with a 33 gallon long. I have drawn lots of technical inspiration from plainrt's 30 gallon breeder TOTM, one of my favorites of all time.

Here is the most recent FTS, which I will try to update reasonably often:

IMG_0396.jpg

The main feature I copied from plainrt's setup are the use of the Subcurrent filter coupled with an autotopoff.com dual ATO (painted black). One key difference is that he didn't use a skimmer, but I went with a Tunze 9002. It's about the same size of the Subcurrent, and with them stuck in opposing corners, they basically look like overflows would. Why no sump? I live in an old apartment building and am horrified of flooding/overflows/leaky plumbing, etc.

Here's a basic equipment list:

• Aqueon 33L (48" x 12" x 12")
  • Aquactinics TX5 T5 light (5x 54w)
  • Vortech MP10W
  • Korallia 475(?)
  • autotopoff.com ATO w/aqualifter
  • Subcurrent filter, running either CPE, Purigen or carbon
  • Tunze 9002 skimmer with Stevie T skinny cup (light is too fat)
  • Reefkeeper lite with MLC (still on old tank)
  • Tropic Eden substrate

Livestock at the moment:

• False perc
  • Skunk cleaner shrimp
  • Emerald mithrax
  • Snails, hermits + 1 chiton who snuck in there somehow
  • Micromussa
  • War coral
  • Toadstool leather (clown hosts it)
  • Acans
  • Dendro
  • Frogspawn
  • Shrooms, zoas

I will be loading the tank up with more LPS and clams in due course.

On my fish wish list, at least some of the following:

• Yellow coris wrasse
  • Some kind of flasher wrasse
  • Blue/green chromis
  • Purple firefish
  • Gobies--had a YWG I loved, but he kicked it after about a year
  • +Pistol?

Oh, yeah, and I have to re-hang those paintings above the tank...

quickfinger
thats all the LR you are putting in there??

Thanks! No, I am going to add some more. That's what I had in my NC12.

Thanks! No, I am going to add some more. That's what I had in my NC12.

I actually think it's pretty nice with that much LR.

Was thinking the same thing. Just a really chill minimal design. Or if OP added more, adding it only in those two areas LR is already and keep a lot of open space.

quickfinger

Yeah, I definitely want to keep a good bit of open space, in the middle (off-center) and at the ends. I might need more LR filtration capacity, tho. I may just add a bit more and let the rest fill in with coral-attached rocks. BTW, thanks for the compliments! Suggestions always welcome...

quickfinger

Just some more pics of the setup so far...

Tank sitting on the floor:

IMG_0378.jpg

Put it here?

IMG_0380-1.jpg

No, here (the first spot might have been better, in retrospect):

IMG_0386-1.jpg

I painted the back with 3 coats of black low-VOC latex paint using a small roller. Came out great! This is the first coat. By the third, light didn't shine through:

IMG_0383-1.jpg

Looking down the length of the tank. I love the dimensions, personally.

IMG_0388-1.jpg

Back left. Note InTank skimmer cup:

IMG_5016.jpg

Back right. Starting in the foreground, you have the Subcurrent, then the dual ATO float switches with snail guards (painted black with Krylon). The airline tubing is the temporary outflow from the ATO pump, held in place by a mag-clip.

IMG_5015.jpg

Emma the cleaner shrimp, named after my spic-and-span mother in law:

IMG_5019.jpg

Emily the clownfish in her bed. Despite her docile appearance, she is actually a vicious apex predator. One of the chromis tried to "school" with her. She ripped him in half.

IMG_5012.jpg

Wider view of the leather. It rapidly took over my NC12, and I almost got rid of it. But Emily that crazy psycho probably would have shanked me in my sleep for that.

IMG_5007.jpg

Dendros and micromussa:

IMG_5014.jpg

Frogspawn bommie:

IMG_5013.jpg

Acan frags. As in all of these pics, the true colors are much nicer. I have to learn how to use the old PowerShot better:

IMG_5010.jpg

Some zoas:

IMG_5008.jpg

War coral:

IMG_5009.jpg

quickfinger
Nice tank. Really like the long and shallow look.a nice showpiece fish that swims a lot would be cool.

I'm thinking TANG.

Just kidding. That job will fall to the wrasse, unless anyone has a better suggestion...the chromis add some nice movement too.

quickfinger

Found these stars in the fuge of my NC12. I put them in a cup so my kid could have a look, and then we put them in the new tank...

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

wow ive never even seen a 33L. what are the dimensions? sweet platform

EDIT- nevermind, just re read your original post. sweet tank still!

quickfinger
Styrofoam Cup Nano, now you're thinking :lol:

Well, the cup is going to be plumbed to a 270 gallon sump/fuge/dsb/cryptic zone/turf scrubber with a Bubble King Deluxe 250. Now I just need to find a tiny, tiny vortech and I'll be all set :D

quickfinger
wow ive never even seen a 33L. what are the dimensions? sweet platform

EDIT- nevermind, just re read your original post. sweet tank still!

Thanks!

Always liked this size tank, almost got it instead of my 40br. Looking good man

Appreciate it...I love the 40B. I think my stand was built for a 40B, so now it just has a handy shelf in front of the glass. But I could definitely see myself moving to a 40B at some point in the future.....they have one key thing the 33L lacks, visual front/back depth....

If you ever frag those micros let me know please :)

I surely will, but to be honest I doubt I'll ever frag them....they grow pretty slowly

• 2 weeks later...
quickfinger

Just a quick update....got some new purple acans and some more micromussas (I think)...will post pics asap. I also came back yesterday from a biz trip to find all the lights and pumps off--everything. I'm thinking it was at least a couple of days. And yet, the tank actually looks better than before. Go figure.

• 4 months later...
Haven't updated in a while, so here's a little video. I got a new african midas blenny....really gorgeous fish!

Awesome! I'm starting my 33 build shortly. Thanks for the inspiration. I really love the dims.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, yeah, low and long FTW! I wish I had gone with a sump tho. The system works fine as I have it set up, but a sump would look nicer. I am thinking maybe a lifereef overflow....

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
quickfinger
I never even knew 33L existed... hmmmm time to upgrade my 20L? LOL

Dooo eeet! 33L is a great size :D

Archived