Pod Your Reef

HDreef's ADA 60-P Build

HDreef

Hey Guys,

Here's my ADA 60-P running since October. I switched over to the ADA after caring for a JBJ nano cube for 4 years. It was showing its age and limitations so I decided to build a new reef from scratch using better components which allowed me the system to be more flexible and upgradeable and most of all allowed me to now grow SPS along with softies, which I couldn't do with the JBJ power compact. I love the flexibility of having a sump. Thanks to the folks on Nano-Reef I was able to acquire the knowledge to build this set-up which I am really enjoying and just getting started.

Equipment List:

• ADA 60-P Rimless Tank
  • AI Sol Super Blue Light Fixture
  • Vortech MP-10
  • Reef Octopus 4 (100 Gallon) In Sump Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer
  • Tunze Osmolator
  • Custom Built ATO Reservoir (advanced acrylics)
  • Precision Marine Sump
  • Sicce Syncra 2.0 Pump

Livestock:

• Lyretail Anthias (pair)
  • Peppermint Shrimp
  • Yashia Shrimp Goby Paired with Red Banded Pistol Shrimp

Corals:

• Australian Invader

• Montipora Undata
  • Vivid Purple Monti Cap
  • Aussie Green Duncan
  • Orange Ricordia Yuma
  • Eagle Eye Zoanthids
  • Radioactive Zoanthids
  • Armor of God Zoanthids
  • Lunar Eclipse Palys
  • Magicians Palys
  • Blue Ricordia Mushroom

UPDATED FTS 1/20/12

FTS-1-20-12_sm.jpg

Any tips and advice is surely welcome as this will be the first time I'm drilling a tank and using a sump. It can be a little intimidating but I'm up for the challenge.

Here is a list of items I still need to do:

Customize a bathroom vanity from our showroom for the stand

Order a skimmer for the sump

Build a Turf Algae Scrubber

Use a drill with a clutch, so you can put it on soft so if the drill bit catches on the glass, it won't try and continue drilling through, which could crack the tank. Just take your time, and DON'T put pressure on the drill, just let the drill do the work. It's very simple. Try practicing on some spare pieces of glass if you have any though so you can get the hang of it. Only a couple times though because you don't want to grind down the diamond drill bit too much.

Hey Zer0 thanks so much for the advice! I think to be safe I'm having my LFS drill my tank ($30.00 per hole). Although they don't want responsibility if it breaks but they guy told me in the 20 years he's been drilling tanks he's never broken one.

The part that will be the biggest challenge is the the plumbing aspect. I've never had experience with PVC and all the 100's of different fittings to use.

Alright that's good then. Always better to have someone with experience drill the holes. Don't get too caught up on the plumbing, it really isn't as hard as you may think. Just make sure if you are using rigid pvc hose that you use hose clamps and barbed fittings. It was too late for me before someone told me I should have been using those fittings and clamps. I'm not worried about it, but it would have been much better if I had used them.

Just ask any questions you have and I'm sure you will find answers quick. :)

Should be an exciting build. I'm looking to upgrade next year and trying to acquire ideas. Hanging around to watch this tank!

Jon

Jeeze, these 60-P's are popping up all over the place. :lol:

Looks great!

I'll be starting my build thread tomorrow. :D i have the 60p on the floor with rock and some sw in it. i get the stand tomorrow!

good luck HDreef!

i just realized, you're a ny'er! i'm just across the hudson in downtown jersey city.

I'll be starting my build thread tomorrow. :D i have the 60p on the floor with rock and some sw in it. i get the stand tomorrow!

good luck HDreef!

i just realized, you're a ny'er! i'm just across the hudson in downtown jersey city.

I checked out your thread. Very nice tank good luck with it!

I gots lots of family in NJ and go there all the time for work. You know any good fish stores you can recommend. The ones near me don't carry any nice corals anymore. Every time I go in there the selection is thin. I might have to start ordering online when my tank is ready.

I'll def be following your build :)

I checked out your thread. Very nice tank good luck with it!

I gots lots of family in NJ and go there all the time for work. You know any good fish stores you can recommend. The ones near me don't carry any nice corals anymore. Every time I go in there the selection is thin. I might have to start ordering online when my tank is ready.

I'll def be following your build :)

Check out these places if you're ever in NJ.

Red Sand

Ocean Gallery II

Aquatic Obsessions

Absolutely Fish

These are all excellent stores with lots and lots of coral selections. Red Sand has mostly SPS frags with the largest only at $30. He does have LPS/sofites etc.. but he has much more SPS.

Just ordered a new toy:

NWb110-gatevalve.jpg

Anyone have experience with Reef Octopus Skimmers?

I've read that these units are beasts and the price was very good considering.

Once my sump and skimmer arrive I can start plumbing my tank. I also ordered a nano overflow box from glass-holes dot com.

Red Sand

Ocean Gallery II

Aquatic Obsessions

Absolutely Fish

These are all excellent stores with lots and lots of coral selections. Red Sand has mostly SPS frags with the largest only at $30. He does have LPS/sofites etc.. but he has much more SPS.

Thanks Zer0 :) i'm gonna swing by and check these out. I found this place online in Conn called Greenwich Aquaria Looks really nice and only about 40 mins from where I live.

Should be an exciting build. I'm looking to upgrade next year and trying to acquire ideas. Hanging around to watch this tank!

Jon

Thanks Jon! good luck with your tank. I'll keep posting updates as I get stuff done. So far I still need to customize my stand, a bathroom vanity from our showroom. I'm going to make a custom contertop with glass tiles from DirecTile.com. I'm gonna use these blue glass tiles:

3002_nieblas_azul.jpg

Red Sand

Ocean Gallery II

Aquatic Obsessions

Absolutely Fish

thanks for the suggestions! i'm in NJ and only knew of ocean gallery and absolutely fish. i haven't checked either out. unfortunately all the places are a good 30-40min drive from me. oh well.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody know of any good fish stores near NYC? the ones close to me just don't have a great selection of coral or fish for that matter...

• 9 months later...

Archived