fts9311.jpg

FTS 8/31/2011

fts83111.jpg

FTS 7/26/2011

fts72611.jpg

Original Post:

firstfts.jpg

Tank Details:

Mr Aqua 17.4g Rectangle Frameless tank (24 x 12 x 14.4)

Aqueon 20g long DIY sump

Vortech MP10 powerhead

Ecoxotic Par38 led bulbs x2 (12k)

Fluval heater 40g

Marineland Maxi-Jet 1100 return pump

Filtration:

AquaticLife Mini skimmer 115

AC 20 with Chemipure elite

Chaeto algae in the sump

Filter floss changed every 5 days roughly

15 lbs. live sand

25 lbs. live rock (roughly)

2 stage RO/DI water filter

Current Livestock:

1 6 line wrasse

2 Pajima cardinal fish

1 Clown

1 Fire Shrimp

2 Hermit Crabs

2 Astra snails

2 Emrald Crab

Current Corals:

Trumpet Coral (green and purple)

Cup Coral

Bunch of zoa colonys

Purple tip frogspawn

Red & Purple Acan

Red & Blue Acan lord

Orange acropora

Purple & Green Chalice

Pink & Purple chalice

Encrusting Hydnophora

Green Star Pollyp

Few Green Paly's

Blue Kenya Tree Leather

Pom Pom Xenia

Pink Birdsnest

Dendro coral

Red Ball Sponge

Meat Coral

Mushrooms (multi colored)

Orange Plate coral

This is my 3rd try at a nano reef. The first 2 tanks where great for learning but finally i made a reef that im proud of. The tank has been up and running for a little over 3 months now and ive finally got a few corals stocked along with some fish and inverts. The tank has been doing verry well so far and algae is almost non existant. Im currently feeding the tank with frozen (Rods Food) every 3 days along with dosing phyto plankton on those same days. Every night i dose with Kents liquid calcium reactor after the lights go out for the night. My friend and i built the tank stand and plumbed everything up ourselves. We also built the sump out of a 20g long tank with our own baffles and sealing job. Overall im verry happy with it so far and cant wait to see how it looks a few months from now after some of these corals take over. Anyways thanks for checking out my thread, here are some pics of the tank.

Full shot of tank and stand

1000699c.jpg

Bright Yellow Rim Zoa's ( id anyone? )

yellowzoa.jpg

Tank from the right side

rightsideview.jpg

Pink Japonese Zoa's

jappinkzoa.jpg

Purple Tip Frogspawn

updatedfrogspawn.jpg

Copper Fire Zoa's

copperfirezoa.jpg

Random Zoa's in the zoa garden

zoagarden.jpg

Purple and Green Chalice

chalicek.jpg

Orange acro, tan gargonian, and Encrusting Hydnophora

bothacrochalice.jpg

Red and Purple Acan

recentacan.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I got some new stuff a few days ago, hopefully i can get some deacent pics tomorow when i get home. Got a blue kenya tree that looks really cool, and a few others.

An update of a few things ive added recently.

Green Paly's

greenpaly.jpg

2 Ricordea's

ricordeav.jpg

Pink and Grey zoa's

pinkgreyzoa.jpg

Xenia

xenagoby.jpg

Had to rearange the zoa garden a bit but i think i like it more now,

updatedzoagarden.jpg

I have some more pics ill post later tomorow after i get a chance to go through all the ones i have and maybe i can get an updated FTS.

Got a few new corals and took some pic's. Also did a bit of rearanging to acomodate the new stuff.

FTS 7-26-2011

fts72611.jpg

A pink acan frag i got for a few bucks, i know it looks bad but i didnt mind paying $3 for a frag to see if it can recover.

pinkacan.jpg

Pic of a Christmas Tree Worm that came on one of my zoa colonies.

christmastreeworm.jpg

Blue Kenya Tree Leather

bluekenyatree.jpg

got a few more ricordea and moved them because i think it was too much light where it was before.

ricandxenia.jpg

pic of the tank from the right side

sideshot.jpg

And last but not least i have seen this thing crawling around my tank, It moves around like a snail but has no shell. It has a bunch of fleshy looking tenticales sticking out of its body and since i have last seen him the tenticles have turned a bright green color. Sorry the pic is poor quality its hard to get a closeup of this tiny guy. Anyone know what it is?

nudibranchcircled.jpg

OMG you need to find it and take it out and kill it ASAP! it's a nudi eating zoa machine. It can kill all your zoas and sps.

Can someone correct me if i am wrong. thanks! i hate those things.. it wipe out 2 of my colonies. :(

bwoodward0012

I agree that it is most likely a zoa eating nudibranch, but it shouldn't affect your sps due to the fact that nudibranches tend to have very specific diets. if you see it around your zoas and you find eggs on your zoas (tiny clear sticky egg sacks, you would have to see a pic to really picture them) then you should remove it immediately. i had these things a couple times (now i always dip corals before adding them) and they are really a P.I.T.A. to get rid of. manually remove any you can find from your tank. you will also want to dip all of your zoas and palys and manually remove the eggs before returning to the tank. there is a good zoa dip guide somewhere on this site involving lugols and ro. since it's "tentacles" turned green, it has probably been munching on zoas or palys that have green color somewhere, these little bass turds blend in really well when on corals, so keep an eye out. multiple treatments and eradication attempts may be needed to destroy them but keep at it until you haven't seen signs of them for a long time.

good luck.

brandon

bwoodward0012

looking at your pics again, there appears to be one in the pic above it too, almost in the middle to the right of the xenia. act fast because they populate very rapidly

thanks for the input guys, next time i see him, its getting flushed.

looking at your pics again, there appears to be one in the pic above it too, almost in the middle to the right of the xenia. act fast because they populate very rapidly

Good eyes there, thats the same one. the pic below is just a few mins after.

bwoodward0012

Gotcha. yea flush him and keep a sharp eye on your tank. if your zoas and palys start closing randomly or look to be losing health or you see another nudi, you are gonna need to do the dip thing. trust me, these things suck and will show up again just when you think you've eradicated them. if you go to hrrc.us and check out the second pinned topic in the Reef Keeping Problem Solving forum, you'll find the dip i used and some info about zoa eating nudis. sorry i couldnt link it for some reason. there are also other types, like montipora eating nudis, so keep a close watch.

Upon further review, i found another nudi and what i think where eggs, i was able to remove both. I really hope this doesnt turn to a big problem as i have a lot of zoa's and they are some of my fav things in the tank.

So i dipped all my corals and found a few more nudi's dead in the bucket i used to dip them. Im going to let the tank sit for about a week and observe closely, to see if i can spot any more nudi's. Also im thinking next water change ill dip everything 1 more time just to be safe even if i dont see any more of them. Since i had all my corals out in a bucket i also rearanged the aquascape just a bit, ill put some pics up in a day or 2 when i get back in town.

Another thing.... I have a uv steralizer sitting around that was given to me with a 60g s/w setup. Ive heard good and bad things about them. Anyone think adding this to my nano setup would be beneficial or overkill?

bwoodward0012

if you do that dip again, take some tweezers and check all of your closed up zoa and paly polyps for egg sacks. pull them off with the tweezers and rinse the corals before returning them to the tank. make sure you wear gloves and eye wear, palytoxin is nasty stuff. that should help insure this problem doesnt return.

pics of rescape?

thanks for the advice bwoodward, ill put up some new pics on wed when i get home from this buisness trip. the rescape isnt verry drastic, more of rearangeing of some of the corals, made some room for some more in the future etc. Also i picked up a trumpet coral before i left that was looking real nice, has 5 heads on it, snagged it for $20. Seemed like a good deal.

• 5 weeks later...

its been a while since i updated so here are some new photos i took today

Current FTS 8-31-11

fts83111.jpg

Shot of the tank from the left side

left83111.jpg

Front Right side of the tank

front283111.jpg

Front Left side of the tank

front183111.jpg

Some of the things ive added

Maxima clam

Dendro coral 1 head

cup coral

pink birdsnest

blue and red lord acan

red ball sponge

meat coral

and a few zoa's

Looks awsome. Im going to follow this thread

Thx for checking out my thread and for the kind words addinali. Just browsed through your thread and i gotta say your tank is looking pretty nice as well.

Thx for checking out my thread and for the kind words addinali. Just browsed through your thread and i gotta say your tank is looking pretty nice as well.

Thanks alot andbyour welcome. I need to post a new fts its been awile and my tank has so many more corals.

Looks very nice. Can't wait to see this tank a couple of months down the road.

same with yours bud! mr aqua club elite!

Rearanged a few things and got a new cup coral so i snapped a few pictures....

Updated FTS 9-3-2011

fts9311.jpg

Pic of my dendro coral

dendrocoral.jpg

New cup coral i added

cupcoral.jpg

And heres just a pic i thought looked cool

coolshot.jpg

let me know what ya think :P. Also just found some nudis on my monti cap this morning, not happy about that gunna be a pita ><.

Archived