Pod Your Reef

My first reef build. (Fluval Edge)

Wet_Fretboards

Wet_Fretboards

Well, I was going to start my build thread today, but I made it this far into the unboxing...

IMG_20110622_141203.jpg

Something told me not to order a glass box online... :angry:

Stay tuned...

Randy

Wet_Fretboards
Keep us posted. They should ship you a new one ASAP.

More time to plan

C. Jerome

Well I called PETCO, which is where I ordered it from. According to them I can exchange it at any PETCO location. Thing is, I ordered it online because it was 109 dollars vs. 149 at my local PETCO. I'm curious to see what issues that will cause when I take it in there today...

snowflake ell
Well I called PETCO, which is where I ordered it from. According to them I can exchange it at any PETCO location. Thing is, I ordered it online because it was 109 dollars vs. 149 at my local PETCO. I'm curious to see what issues that will cause when I take it in there today...

thats sucks :(

I certainty would not pay any more. Just go in with a positive attitude and explain to them the phone people said you could do an even exchange for a not broken one.

Good Luck!

There should not be a problem and you should not have to pay anymore. Good luck make sure you take a lot of pics when setting it up.

Wet_Fretboards

Got it exchanged no sweat. Gonna be residing on my nightstand.

IMG_20110623_130147.jpg

Now, this is gonna be a rather modest reef, to say the least. I'm planning on sand, LR, a few easy-to-care-for corals, a small CUC, and of course a couple of fish. Next on the list is the obligatory lighting upgrade. I think I've settled on a couple of MR16 LED bulbs and a couple of blue LED strips. Stay tuned if you like. There'll be lots of questions to follow, I'm sure...

Randy

Wet_Fretboards

Small update. Please excuse the Droid photos...

Two of these arrived today.

IMG_20110630_184645.jpg

Each one has a female barrel plug socket and 6 foot cord. I only want one cord to power them both. (I hate clutter.) :bigeyes:

Here I've cut the cord off of one, and stripped about 3/16" of the wire.

IMG_20110630_184727.jpg

Removed the same amount of insulation from the other.

IMG_20110630_185334.jpg

Soldered the leads of the cut one to these wires (sorry, forgot to take a photo of that.) and heat shrunk it all in place. The photo here shows electrical tape, but I didn't like that, so I re-did it with heat shrink.

IMG_20110630_190750.jpg

Here's the finished product.

IMG_20110630_190736.jpg

Like I said, just a small update. Taking my time here. The "cool white" MR16 bulbs should arrive in a few days.

Thanks for looking!

Randy

Wet_Fretboards
looks great so far. Ill be following along

do you have an plans for corals or fish yet?

I know for sure I want a cleaner shrimp. As for fish, I'm torn between a few. I only want 2 fish max. Maybe a firefish and a Clown. Or a Bi-color dottyback. Not sure yet. Coral wise, I want just some colorful zoas and maybe a green star polyp or two. Would like to have an anenome as well. My wife loves feather dusters, so a couple of those i suppose. And of course a small clean up crew.

*Edit* - The dottyback will eat the shrimp, so, she's out...

Wet_Fretboards

Well, I'm officially a saltwater tank owner!

IMG_20110708_142128.jpg

IMG_20110708_142616.jpg

Please excuse the crappy, dark photos and the unmade bed... ( If my wife knew I put that out for all the world to see she'd shoot me!) :D

ThePhilosopher

Ah, a Fluval Edge. Nice choice. I've seen some pretty nice light modifications on these which feature sufficient LED lighting. Can't wait to see how this will turn out.

Wet_Fretboards

Small update!

Six pounds of Rock!

IMG_20110709_161003.jpg

IMG_20110709_161130.jpg

IMG_20110709_161138.jpg

And this little guy....

IMG_20110709_154125.jpg

I'm assuming it's a brittle or serpent star, which while cool, worries me because A: I know he probably won't survive the cycle. B: If he does, he can't stay in this little tank.

Tank's looking great! I love the way Edge's look as nano reefs, the LFS has one that's really sharp.

Like your coral ideas, this will shape up into an awesome tank!

Sweet tank. I like the rock scape you set up, if that big tube wasn't there (or the lamp) it would look like it could be a bigger tank. I will be following.

Wet_Fretboards
Its a nice set-up. I dont see a heater... Are you going to install one later? If your looking for something that takes little space, I an using a Rena Smartheater with a modified input.

Check out my thread... http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=267708

Yes I'm picking one up sometime. Water's 78 degrees now. But in the winter I'll need one. Also gonna pick up a powerhead this weekend.

Wet_Fretboards
or take the rock out and glue it.

I had to replce my substrate today due to total powerhead incompatability. :D. While I had the rock out I lemon juiced him and super glued his hole shut.

Wet_Fretboards

So here's the new 'scape with the larger substrate. I hope this will still be OK for the goby / shrimp. Everything seems to be fine except the PH is a little low. The substrate is natures ocean aragonite. It's just crushed seashells and coral from the looks of it. I figure I'll give it a couple days to buffer the water and go from there.

IMG_20110711_194513.jpg

IMG_20110711_194458.jpg

Sorry... My phone cant deal with the blue lights...

Wet_Fretboards

How long should it take for the PH to stabilize? Between the reef salt mix, the LR and the crushed seashell substrate, shouldn't my PH be about 8.3 or so? I want to make sure I give it enough time. I'm trying not to have chemical soup adding a bunch of store bought "magic" to the tank, but my PH is measuring about 7.5 right now.

Archived