ReefCleaners.org

Pak's 7.5g Rimless Cube

SnakPak

Update 9-7-2012:

My 60-F is no more. Made the decision to switch back to my Mr. Aqua 12" cube. While I loved the 60-F, I didn't like dealing with the hassle of the sump and the many issues I've been having with it lately. So in an effort to get back to the basics, I took it down and set up my cube as my main tank.

Tank.jpg

The 60-F at her former glory. Sadly it seemed to be a downhill battle with algae/cyano, sump issues, etc. I will miss it, but am very eager to get my cube back into shape.

20120210-DSC03227.jpg

Equipment

• Mr. Aqua 7.5gal Cube
  • Vortech MP10
  • Aqua Illumination Sol Blue
  • AC20

Livestock

• Tailspot Blenny
  • Yellow Damsel
  • Maxima Clam
  • 1 Turbo Snail
  • Misc. Hermits & Snails
  • Emerald Crab
  • Pom Pom Crab
  • Maxi-mini Anemone

Corals

• Frogspawn
  • Green Goniopora
  • Red Goniopora
  • Duncan
  • Blue Sympodium
  • Pipe Organ Coral
  • Blue Xenia
  • Acan frag
  • Tubs Blue Zoas
  • Bam Bam Zoas
  • Jumbo Emerald Green Zoas
  • Green Plate Coral
  • Orange Ricordea
  • Green & Red Chalice
  • Montipora Undata
  • Red, Blue & Green Striped Mushroom corals
  • GSP
  • Toadstool Leather
  • Red Digitata

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bobmonkey11

i would watch your parameters as when doing a tank transfer there is a possibility of having mini cycles which can potentially wipe out some of the less hardy coral. On that note, did you use new sand or the same stuff from your cube? disturbing an established sand bed is a bad idea because they tend to be nitrate sinks and disturbing them can spike nitrates.

i have been cycling my 37 semi-cube until it is stable before i do my transfer....given that i run an sps dominant reef this may not be the case for softies and easy LPS

What PAR38 bulb colors are you using? Also I'd suggest going with a Eheim ECCO 2232 filter or any other canister filter, creates a cleaner look imo.

i would watch your parameters as when doing a tank transfer there is a possibility of having mini cycles which can potentially wipe out some of the less hardy coral. On that note, did you use new sand or the same stuff from your cube? disturbing an established sand bed is a bad idea because they tend to be nitrate sinks and disturbing them can spike nitrates.

i have been cycling my 37 semi-cube until it is stable before i do my transfer....given that i run an sps dominant reef this may not be the case for softies and easy LPS

Definitely. This isn't my first tank transfer, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on parameters and doing a few additional water changes. I used the existing sand with some new dry sand. I'm not too worried, but I will be watching everything.

What PAR38 bulb colors are you using? Also I'd suggest going with a Eheim ECCO 2232 filter or any other canister filter, creates a cleaner look imo.

I'm using a 20k and a 12k. I would have preferred both the same temperature, but it looks good right now and I got a great deal on the second bulb.

Will definitely be going with a canister filter, just not right away. The hang on back will have to do temporarily.

bobmonkey11

cool, once i do my transfer i will be starting an led powered (12x3w cree) ada 45-f that is just sitting waiting to be set up. i will definitely be keeping an eye on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking tank. Maybe I did some arithmetic incorrectly, but is that tank only about 8.5 gal? It looks much bigger than that, if so.

Nice looking tank. Maybe I did some arithmetic incorrectly, but is that tank only about 8.5 gal? It looks much bigger than that, if so.

8.6...but who's counting? :P

• 2 weeks later...

my 60f has been sitting dry for months now and this inspires me to get it started soon as my civic motor gets rebuilt. gonna be bonsai sps tank with halide over it tho

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys. I keep forgetting to update this thread. Taken from my pico reef thread..

The before shots. Notice the red cyano in the upper left corner? Yup, I've been battling it for the last few weeks. Not sure what's causing it. Water changes have been regular and everything else seems good.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Changed! No more sandbed! I was really tired of hearing sand get sucked into my new MP10, which caused all kinds of horrific noises. No more sand, no more noises! I'm actually really diggin' the new look. Now I just need to fill it in with corals. Ric/Acan bed? Hmmm...

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

It's very difficult to get accurate top down shots with the lights on..

IMG_0013.JPG

Sorry for the blurry photo of this guy. Had a hard time getting a shot of him since he kept moving around in that corner.

IMG_0009.JPG

What is this? I like it.

Just a macro algae that popped up. It comes and goes. Last time it came up I removed most of it. This time I decided to keep it since it looked so nice.

LOVE the tank dimensions on the 60-F. What kind of camera and settings are you using to take such nice photos of your tank? shooting 20k PAR38s are harder than shooting weddings -_-

LOVE the tank dimensions on the 60-F. What kind of camera and settings are you using to take such nice photos of your tank? shooting 20k PAR38s are harder than shooting weddings -_-

Honestly I'm just using a Canon P&S in macro mode with the white balance adjusted for the tank. I have a Canon Rebel XTi, but we don't have any good macro lenses and I haven't played around with the lenses we do have enough to get good shots. I'll have to try again though.

I do agree though, shooting pics of the tank under the Par38s is nearly impossible.

Archived