Coral Vue Hydros

zoa hydrogen peroxide treatment worked for me!

cgambrell

Hey Guys!

Hope everybody is doing well. Just wanted to share this success with you guys. A couple of days ago i noticed some white patches on one of my zoa colonies. It has about 4 polyps with long tentacles that extend from the outer ring. Anyway the patches looked like a blemish on said outer ring. Well the day after i noticed this white stringy material on those patches(O crap). I picked up the colony and brushed some of it off only to find under the fugus the live tissue was being eaten away(DOUBLE SH##). Well i researched online and found a treatment involving hydrogen peroxide. Im a total noob tank has only been up a month so beginner doesnt even being to describe me. I said to myself hey it was only a 9 dollar frag if i loose it i loose it. So i gave the treatment a whirl. I used 75% fresh water and 25% hydrogen peroxide. Shook the polyps around in that solution then let them sit in it for about 13 minutes. I washed them off with fresh water and returned to the tank. This was about three days ago. Yesterday i noticed one of the smaller polyps wide open looking as happy as can be then today i find that all polyps are open including the biggest which was the most affected!!!!! I spot fed some crushed up mysis and all the polyps grabbed it. Seems to be making a full recovery. Just thought i would share.

Thanks,

Cody

I did this exact same treatment on coral that had nuisance algae issues and POOF, corals were fine and all algae gone within 24 hours. Only left in for 5 minutes though.

Yea Chuck i thought it was a little long but hey whatever works right? Adam yea ive heard of the algae treatment as well! Who knew?

glad that worked so well u didnt happen to snap any pics? Cuz I was wondering if what you are describing were barnacles just wondering

I wish i had now that i think back on it. Ill try and locate a picture online of what it looked like. I dont think it was barnacles.

That was very educational, I hadn't heard of that zoanthid disease. This is worth linking to the peroxide thread in case they drift apart, one thing is for sure-if peroxide works for this ailment its 100x more preferable than adding furan to an aquatic system. I didn't notice in that article what happens to filter bacteria, but it said the furan was a wide spectrum antibiotic against both gram neg and gram pos thats a huge range of bacteria

That was very educational, I hadn't heard of that zoanthid disease. This is worth linking to the peroxide thread in case they drift apart, one thing is for sure-if peroxide works for this ailment its 100x more preferable than adding furan to an aquatic system. I didn't notice in that article what happens to filter bacteria, but it said the furan was a wide spectrum antibiotic against both gram neg and gram pos thats a huge range of bacteria

%25 sounds pretty strong IMO.

Ive found most zoa's dont mind h202 much. One type I have (coco pink) will lose all their pink coloration and turn black. although they will otherwise be open and "happy" looking. After 3-4 days they regain color.

All my soft corals gets 50/50 treatment when i get it from another tank...then dip them in revive. Normally they recovered within a few days

Archived