Top Shelf Aquatics

apgaug's 2 gallon pico

apgaug

Hey everyone. Picked up a TOMs 2 gallon tank today. This is my second tank and my first pico. I currently have a 29 gallon, but I wanted a tank for the bedroom. The kit came with a mini power filter and a 13 watt power compact lighting fixture (7400k daylight and 14000k actinic). I had a 25 watt heater laying around that I've thrown in for now, but I ordered a new heater, because the one I have is kind of big and the cover won't fit on the tank with it in there. I used 1-2 pounds of sand and 2 pounds of live rock. Right now the plan is to just keep a few softies and maybe a shrimp. Most of my time and money goes into the 29 gallon, so I'm not planning on going crazy with this one. Yet, lol.

pico.jpg

I hope this little guy survives:

pico1.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for lighting upgrades? Also I was thinking about attempting to turn the filter into a mini fuge. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

for now I would just keep the same light and stock with common corals that you like. but dont stock until you know that your mushroom is healthy and opening and the cycle is over.

if you feel like going the fuge route, take a look at El Fab's pico guide. there is a section for that in there.

for now I would just keep the same light and stock with common corals that you like. but dont stock until you know that your mushroom is healthy and opening and the cycle is over.

if you feel like going the fuge route, take a look at El Fab's pico guide. there is a section for that in there.

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Tank has been stable for a while now and I finally added some cuc. Two ceriths and four dwarf ceriths. Also one tiny little hermit and a nassarius. I'm having a bit of a hair algae issue on the tank walls. Once they get things cleaned up a bit I will get started on adding coral.

The pump that comes with the hob filter is crap. It gets jammed up so easily. Woke me up at 4:30 this morning because it was stuck.

Anyway, I think part of my problem is the sand I used. It's an odd texture and floats really easily. I was going to take some sand from my 29 gallon to replace the bad sand. What is the best way to go about this? Since the sand is coming from an established tank can I just move the contents of my pico into a bucket and remove the old sand from the tank, then put my stuff back in followed by the new sand? The only tank inhabitants are cuc and a mushroom.

if you xfer sand it should be rinsed very heavily to remove all organics, it won't remove the filter bacteria they are stuck to each grain. Using sand from an old tank in a pico is not a good idea at all unless whole waste particles are removed. the pico stores enough on its own...a boost in waste must be prevented

Archived