inTank Media Baskets

SoCal's 60g Cube (Dismantled)

Arkayology

Arkayology

So this build will be coming together over the next few months. I will not be setting it up until September-October when I get back from doing research over the summer. The plan is to do a SPS cube with a few fish that I have been wanting to keep for some time. The 60 cube (2'x2'x2') was ordered via my LFS and has a custom overflow and comes predrilled with a 1.5'' drain and .5'' return hole.

The List:

60g Visio (24"x24"x24") cube with black stand

10g Visio glass aquarium as sump

Ecotech Radion XR30w

x2 Vortech Ecosmart mp10w

200w heater

mag 7 return

x2 BRS Doser (1.1 mL/min) for use with b-ionic 2-part

JNS biopellet reactor with NP Biopellets

Super Reef Octopus 1000int skimmer

TLF 150 reactor powered by MJ600 with GFO/Carbon

JBJ ATO

50lbs LR (30lbs marcorocks with 20lb of choice LR from my previous 20h)

40lbs marcorocks coarse sand

Livestock:

x1 perc clown

x1 possum wrasse

x1 pink bar goby

x1 flame angel

x1 mccosker's flasher wrasse

x1 ornate leopard wrasse

x1 leopard wrasse (meleagris)

x1 yellow coris wrasse

x1 crocea clam

x1 cleaner shrimp

x1 acropora crab

x1 porcelain crab

x1 orange starfish (Echinaster sp)

and a ton of snails, some hermits

Coral:

SPS and zoas

Tank Progression:

4/18/12

IMG_1033.jpg

3/29/2012

IMG_0995.jpg

2/23/2012

IMG_0918.jpg

11/16/2011

IMG_0214.jpg

10/21/11:

IMG_0085-1.jpg

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply
latteslave

Great plan. This should be a killer setup.

Not much help from me on the skimmer, but if the jbj ato is more reliable, I would go that route. Better to spend up front and with what you already have... Well you know.

Arkayology
also, JBJ ato? I usually DIY my own float switches or get one off autotopoff.com for way cheaper

I already have the JBJ so I might as well use it. You are right though that a DIY would be more cost effective.

Great plan. This should be a killer setup.

Not much help from me on the skimmer, but if the jbj ato is more reliable, I would go that route. Better to spend up front and with what you already have... Well you know.

Thanks man.

Cant wait to see it filled.

Me either :)

This would be great..

Thanks. The idea is currently evolving, but it will be up and running by the end of this summer or early fall :happydance:

Arkayology
Jealous as ####, and following closely...

I think you should upgrade so I have something to look at in your tank :P I jest...

Decided on ordering a mag 7 pump for the return as well as a BRS 5 stage RO/DI maker.

Still kicking ideas for the skimmer back and forth... It is between either a Reef Octo 150 or possibly a Bubble Magus NAC7. Tough call.

till the end of summer!?!? you're killing me!

guess i'll have to wait ;)

i have no personal experience with either of those 2 skimmers, but i think i'm set on a magus nac6. it's gotten great reviews and i found some online for $130. but in any case, let us know which you decide on.

Arkayology
till the end of summer!?!? you're killing me!

guess i'll have to wait ;)

i have no personal experience with either of those 2 skimmers, but i think i'm set on a magus nac6. it's gotten great reviews and i found some online for $130. but in any case, let us know which you decide on.

It's killing me too! All that equipment and the new big tank sitting their dry as a bone. But, it will give me something to look forward too.

squirrelieygrrrl

huzzah!

fantastic. its almost agonizing isnt it? looking at empty glass with all sorts of ideas for what to do with it. following for sure. :)

huzzah!

fantastic. its almost agonizing isnt it? looking at empty glass with all sorts of ideas for what to do with it. following for sure. :)

Thanks! I cannot wait for September so I can build thing thing. My plan is to do a pillar/mountain zen scape. I will get about 50lb of dry rock and some aquarium mortar and build the scape later on. It will be pretty epic. Going for the minimalist look like all the other cool kids with cubes.

boosted chemist
Thanks! I cannot wait for September so I can build thing thing. My plan is to do a pillar/mountain zen scape. I will get about 50lb of dry rock and some aquarium mortar and build the scape later on. It will be pretty epic. Going for the minimalist look like all the other cool kids with cubes.

I dig less rock tbh, too much rock looks ghetto. Its all about the zen.

I dig less rock tbh, too much rock looks ghetto. Its all about the zen.

Ya, I think 40 or 50 lbs will be ok

boosted chemist
Ya, I think 40 or 50 lbs will be ok

IMO try to get bigger pieces, the mass doesnt matter as much as the number of pieces, I need a bigger piece for my new tank so i can toss a couple little one.s

In Peru and Germany until further notice. Will be back in September to get this build started. Cheers!

Have a blast. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Thanks!

This is gonna be sex!

This is gonna be anal!
You

know it! B)

• 1 month later...
Want. So jelly...

You can reef vicariously through my thread :lol:

I am currently researching plumbing ideas for my tank while I am abroad so I can start right away when I return to the states in a month. Also, I am considering a SWC 160 cone skimmer over the BM NAC7. Thoughts?

Archived