Innovative Marine Aquariums

SStuckey's 3 year late BC14 tank thread

sstuckey

Better late than never?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. (1.)Better late? or (2.)Better Never?

• Yeah it is, bout time man
    • Dude, I could care less... seen 1 BC14, seen'em all

Ok, so here is the progress of my tank over the past 3 years. Better late then never...

I'll start with a current FTS and then go back to the beginning in 08.

Please excuse the current pix, I'm still experimenting shooting LEDs...

post-36182-1307482379_thumb.jpg

Here is the beginning, around the end of April 2008. Goofy heater in the display that was way too big and too strong. Returned it for a stealth (recently replaced with a Jager). Note how you can see the stock BC14 carbon thingy. I had the blue sponge and bio balls runnin. To top it all off, thats 50% tap water in there. Live and learn. Better yet, research and learn...

post-36182-1306623220_thumb.jpg

July 2008 end of cycle:

My first trip to Premium Aquatics in Indy. Picked up some excellent additional "cured" LR. Got a clown, purple fire fish, and neon goby in there. CUC was 3 blue leg hermits, two margarita snails, and two mexican red leg hermits. Out of this crew, I still have the clown and all the hermits.

Check out those diatoms. I wasn't using tap but still wasn't good water.

April 2009, a year into it. Lots of nano-reef.com browsing later. Got the water quality under control. Test kits. Success with a couple Florida Ricordia. So I decide to check out the INDMAS frag swap... and here are the results.

post-36182-1306623649_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306623935_thumb.jpg

some more shots of that era...

The inhabitants of that time...

Found my first hitchhiker. Took me about 6 months to catch him/her/it/whatever.

post-36182-1306624815_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306624878_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306624984_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306624996_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306625033_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306625261_thumb.jpg

That'll take me up to current day. I'll post some current pix and give the equipment and inhabitant details.

So currently:

MJ900 return pump

Koralia Evo 425

50watt Jager heater

nanocustoms 3.6 LED 2 50/50s and 1 RB

inTank media basket running floss/purigen/cheato/ chemi-pure elite

JBJ nano Glo

CUC:

3 blue leg hermits

2 mexican red legs

1 scarlet hermit

2 cerith snails

3 nerite

1 astrea

Fish:

Clown

Banded goby

Inverts:

Tiger pistol shrimp

various corals-

zoas

rics

frogspawn (few blue heads, few green)

monti cap

BOP

candy cane

toadstool

palys

acans

maxi mini

shrooms

and a few more pix...

post-36182-1306631941_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306632015_thumb.jpg

Your BC14 is ass...

JK!

Awesome tank dude! The scape is freakin awesome and that hammer is crazy! More pics!

Your BC14 is ass...

Lol :lol:

Thanks. I saw that and though. Oh... one like, one dislike, I can live with that.

JK!

Awesome tank dude! The scape is freakin awesome and that hammer is crazy! More pics!

Thanks, I will. I've got a photographer friend coming out in a couple weeks. I'm hoping I can get some tips on shooting under LEDs. Even tweeking my white balance, I get this weird contrast in the sand and rocks. I loose a lot of color over compensating for the color cast.

I'll mess around some more and post what I come up with. Thanks a lot.

A side and corner shot. I like how you can see the zoas in the reflection of the opposite side on the corner shot. Color and contrast still suck though.

post-36182-1306675409_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1306675418_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And just incase anyone cares or is following along...

My goby and pistol.

The pistol is dancing with himself.

post-36182-1307631225_thumb.jpg

Your question is awesome :lol:

ha ha, thanks. It gets overwhelming response LOL. I thought I'd get a few sarcastic "could care less" votes, but not so much.

• 4 months later...
Please tell me you named that pistol Billy Idol...

:lol: Nice.

The pistol was named back when I got the yasha. So the two were named together, "Flotsam & Jetsam."

Well, Flotsam died and I got the high fin which my son name Rudolf.

BIlly Idol would be far more fitting, but instead I have "Rudolf & Jetsam."

• 2 weeks later...

Sometime over the weekend, it looks like I lost Rudolf.

No sign of illness. There one day, gone the next few.

Only had him about a year.smiley-cries.gif

RIP little buddy...

post-36182-1321321339_thumb.jpg

Holy smokes!

So, yesterday I was headed to the LFS to pick up some filter floss. I was out, and needed some new stuff and was getting ready to do a WC and some weekly maintenance.

When I got to the LFS they had a nice looking Orange Spotted Goby. I figured hey, my pistol needs a new partner. So I got him. Brought him home, acclimated while doing my WC, and dropped him in.

As I was cleaning everything up, I thought... "I should clean the return pump." So I pulled it out, and there was Rudolf's (the Hi-fin) body. I went to scoop it out and it moved.

RUDOLF IS ALIVE!

Apparently he has been hiding under the pump for 5 days.

So I put him back in.

Now I have two similar fish.

I moved some scenery around to even the playing field.

I'm hopping the two get along, or at least live peacefully on opposite sides of the tank. So far it's the latter.

TIme will tell I suppose. I like them both, we'll see what happens.

3 days in and while the lights were on, I saw no sign of agression. They even came within a few inches of one another and could care less (at least that is what it looked like.) Rudolf the hi-fin met right back up with the pistol shrimp and the orange spot picked another tunnel entrance to guard and hung out alone. Thing were looking good

Today is day 4 and the hi-fin is MIA again. This time I immediately checked the back chambers. I feed the tank and he did not show up. Now the pistol is hanging out with the orange spot.

Is it possible they fought at night or in the tunnels out of sight?

I feel pretty bad about it. ... again.

Live Aquaria said that the hi-fin might even share a burrow with similar species so I had a little hope.

Maybe he'll show up tomorrow. I doubt it though. It seemed weird that the pistol changed partners.

Holy smokes!

As I was cleaning everything up, I thought... "I should clean the return pump." So I pulled it out, and there was Rudolf's (the Hi-fin) body. I went to scoop it out and it moved.

RUDOLF IS ALIVE!

Apparently he has been hiding under the pump for 5 days.

So I put him back in.

Now I have two similar fish.

That's amazing! Go Rudolf! Hopefully he shows back up. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi-fin is a goner again. I'm to blame for that one.

I'll try to get a FTS asap. My daughter takes a nap (the tank is in the kid's room) right when the light kick on. THen by the time she's up, I get tied up doing other things. I'll see if I can make it happen today.

Ok, here is the current FTS. I snapped a pic of the new guy acting tough. (just some iPhone pix)

I've got this green film-like algae popping up in spots. I'm sure it doesn't help to have a recently deceased in there under a rock. He was pretty small. Nothing the CUC, a couple WCs, some Phos Ban, and a little patients won't cure...

post-36182-1322528565_thumb.jpg

post-36182-1322528576_thumb.jpg

Archived