Top Shelf Aquatics

ScubaRyan's BC14

ScubaRyan

Hey guys! Been researching tanks and saltwater for months and reading nano-reef and reef central for months ontop of that. I finally took the plunge and ordered a Biocube 14 and it will be here Thursday.

I also ordered 10lbs of dry rock from John at reef cleaners and got it today and it looks aweome! I ordered 12lbs of live rock from Sea Life which will be here Friday so hopefully that is just as nice as John's dry rock.

13370154.jpg

d7ab6884.jpg

Plans

StevieT intank media basket

maxi-jet 900

Hydor Koralia Nano Evolution 240 GPH

50-75w Heater (not really sure on type yet - which would be better? 50 or 75?

Knock out false floors in chamber 1/Remove sponge

JBJ ATO (eventually)

Reefkeeper Lite (eventually)

Light upgrade (maybe/sometime)

Stocking

2 True Percula Clownfish, Tank Bred

1 Cleaner Shrimp

One question, would I eventually be able to add a pistol shrimp/yellow watchmen goby with the above or would I be overstocked?

Looking forward to getting into this hobby! I'll try to keep the thread updated as much as possible!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good start, i just started my bio14 i had the same stock list as you do but i think 3 fish is a lil to much but thats my 2 cents they say 3 is the max. I get my media basket from steviet on tuesday of next week and ill be ready to stock. It funny to see just how many other members have started the same tanks itll be fun to see everyones tank progress

Yea, ive seen several starting and have read a lot of established ones. I was originally going for a BC29 but decided to go smaller and put it on my dresser.

Only reason I think the Goby/shrimp combo would be good is because they arent active swimmers like clowns and spend all their time in one other, or so i've read. Hopefully somebody with anlot of experience will chime in.

I dont want to post without some pic so here's a dive pic i took, my favorite one of a blenny.

ac404d89.jpg

fd404de6.jpg

e7407ccf.jpg

76259116.jpg

457215b7.jpg

No bioballs!!!

b1ae5f91.jpg

Only thing that isnt working is the led moonlights so i guess ill need to contact oceanic

you can have my bioballs lol no but really no one uses them you should get stevieT's media basket i get mine tuesday. ill post pics up once i get it

Yup, I am planning on getting it. Filter floss, chaeto, ??.. I orginally was going to use LR rubble on the bottom, but have been thinkin otherwise after reading about it being a nitrate factory. So I am unsure of that

Just ordered:

Biocube 14 Media Basket

Filter Floss

Maxi Jet 900

Chemi-Pure

Still have a bunch of stuff to buy, perhaps next month...have awhile to cycle anyway...lol

I got the very same order i also added purigen to my order. StevieT is a great guy i had to do some changes to my order i emailed him and wasnt expecting a reply till the next day, he emailed my back 5 min later.

Got my LR from Sea Life and I think it's pretty good looking! I also only used 1 piece of dryrock, i may change up the scape, but I'll see it after it settles in the tank.

Pics! Some of them are a little blurry, i took them in a hurry with my iphone. Shoulda grabbed the DSLR, but I wanted them in the tank :)

c5b84c1e.jpg

2e706ff5.jpg

a44b4945.jpg

19522930.jpg

b6ceab6e.jpg

33643085.jpg

8cb135ea.jpg

Yea i will. Ill be in St. Augustine till Monday so it'll be when I get back. I was looking at the LR and a crab came out of one of the holes so hopefully he'll make it through the cycle.

I snapped 3 quick ones before I left..

Front:

d7a3aa96.jpg

Left:

464ac376.jpg

Right:

2540bb75.jpg

There is a little swim through area in the middle but the rock in front blocks it when looking straight at it.. Ill take some more when I get back home!

I may also add a small piece of dry rock towards the big open area in front... Not sure yet

Here's a little update:

The morning I was coming back from my trip my mom called me and said the pump was making a noise. So i told her to add a little bit of RODI water to the tank until it stopped. She said the noise started when the lights went on, I asked if it stopped when it went off. She said they did, so i told her it was the fan and not the pump and not to add any water. Well she added 4 cups of RODI water. Thankfully it's not a huge deal, but it did lower the salinity I believe. I never got to check what the salinity of the water was before I left as I bought the oceanic mini-hydrometer until my refractometer gets here.

My first tests:

Temp 77.6-79.8 it gradually goes down to 77.6 during the night

salinity -> 1.023

pH - 8.0

Amonia - 1.0-2.0ppm

Nitrite - 0.0-0.25ppm

Nitrate - 0-5.0ppm

Nitrite/Nitrate are between the 2 and not near the 0.0 colors so I'm assuming there are some levels, just not ones listed on the test. I'm using the API saltwater test kit.

There's a little bit of life in the tank, I found some pods and 2 crabs. 1 is incredibly small while the other is quite big. I found his hiding spot during the day today in one of the pieces of live rock, no clue how he gets in and out of it as he's bigger than any hole that I can see, but whatever. I can never get a good pic of him as he only comes out at night. And have only seen the little crab once when he came out of the live rock when i first put it in before the sand/water and once yesterday night. There is also 1 feather duster and 1 either very small feather duster that closes up when I get close to the side of the glass.

Is the pH a little low? Could it be due to my mom adding a lot of RODI water to the tank? I'm waiting for water to evaporate so I can add a little bit of salt water to raise the salinity to 1.025-1.026. I'm aware of the hydrometers are not as accurate, but need to wait a little before I can get the refractometer. I need to wait for the tank to cycle so I don't see it as a huge problem at this point.

Comments, suggestions?

Get a hold of the manufactor they should senda new fan i belive. And hydrometers are weird and never accurate. I need to pick up a refractometer

She said the noise started when the lights went on, I asked if it stopped when it went off. She said they did, so i told her it was the fan and not the pump and not to add any water.

BC14 fans don't last long. I'd contact the company for some replacements and save them for a rainy day.

Talk to these guys about upgrading: http://www.nanotuners.com

Your ph is fine.

New rock looks good. Just sit back and enjoy the cycle. ...and ditch those stock fans while you wait.

Get a hold of the manufactor they should senda new fan i belive. And hydrometers are weird and never accurate. I need to pick up a refractometer

I already had an issue with the led transformer and received it, however it wasnt a real issue, the led connector became unplugged and i just needed to plug it back in behind the reflector. The replacement fan is otw.

BC14 fans don't last long. I'd contact the company for some replacements and save them for a rainy day.

Talk to these guys about upgrading: http://www.nanotuners.com

Your ph is fine.

New rock looks good. Just sit back and enjoy the cycle. ...and ditch those stock fans while you wait.

Yeah ive looked at their site quite a bit. Ill eventually switch to leds as thats the more sensible option moneywise.

Do you think I could add a frogspawn to the top rock eventually with stock lighting?

Do you think I could add a frogspawn to the top rock eventually with stock lighting?

Yes, absolutely.

I had (still have it) frogspawn under stock lighting (no longer have the stock lighting) in the middle of the tank and it was thriving. You can keep all kinds of LPS and softies with the stock lighting.

Yes, absolutely.

I had (still have it) frogspawn under stock lighting (no longer have the stock lighting) in the middle of the tank and it was thriving. You can keep all kinds of LPS and softies with the stock lighting.

That's great to hear. I really like the hammer, frogspawn and torch.. May not have enough room for all 3 though... We'll see!

Lol yeah, it did. I caught him and set him free in the ocean. He came off the florida coast and that's where he was sent back :)

IMG_1254.jpg

Archived