Top Shelf Aquatics

Kylebeano's 4g Finnex Mixed Reef

Kylebeano

I chose a pico becuase between school and work, I do not have a lot of time and money to dedicate towards water changes and supplies. It also only draws 26 watts, so my electric bill is barely affected by this hobby. Corals will also outgrow the tank quicker, so it could also lead towards a possible source of income at some point (just need to figure out frag tank/position :/)

FTS 02/22/2012

014-12.jpg

Equipment

• Finnex 4g
  • AC70
  • Glazer Overflow Box
  • 2 x Boost Par30 c 2rb, 1b, 1cw, 1nw - I cant tell by my eyes whether or not these new leds look any different than they would had they been 3rb, 2cw - but I like the way it looks over the tank.

Maintenance

• When I wake up and go to bed I top off the overflow box.
  • Every couple days I feed the corals if they look famished
  • I do a one gallon water change every few days if I can, it takes me 5 minutes.
  • I clean the glass after water changes.

Origanal Post

Added snails today and theyre already trying to escape, not a good sign... although reefcleaners did send me extras just in case, big thumbs up to their products. john sent me an army of dwarf ceriths.

001.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

009.jpg

006.jpg

003.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

002.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
Awesome scape. Everyone seems to have trouble with nerites. For some reason mine dont climb out.

Ima send mine to you... :P

Cool Scape

Thank you, I'm not a fan of having such little space to work with though,,, I really like the rock though.

Nerites...not a day goes by when I don't have to put those little bastards back in the tank... :lol:

Haha, I think it's going to keep me pretty busy

Awesome scape. Everyone seems to have trouble with nerites. For some reason mine dont climb out.

Thanks a lot, it was a real challenge for me with such limited real estate.

• 2 weeks later...

First coral was added about a week ago and has already made a new polyp.

002-1.jpg

And i'll be getting a really nice shipment of corals in tomorrow, cant wait!

Got my shipment in from rrcg50 today! His corals are not only generations aquacultured, but are some of the most beautiful and healthy specimins I have come accross. When I placed my order I was expecting small frags for the price I was paying, but he really goes beyond satisfying the customer.

Ponape BN

033.jpg

Sunset

031.jpg

Rainbow

032.jpg

Nuke Green

036.jpg

Purple Death

037.jpg

Green Toad

028.jpg

014.jpg

That also came with 25+ polyps of keds reds (hitch hikers)

045.jpg

Ill get some better shots of everything when they're settled in and all happy :D

i hear you sold my light ;)

awesome little tank man, the montis are sweet

haha, yeah. sorry! that whole tank just never came to be, and im still trying to get rid of the tank/stand from my living room. ugh.

how was your first year?

Thanks for the bump. Those are zombie eyes. I like them better than kedds

lol no problem, how'd the buyer like it? my first year was great, changed majors 3 times :D

Awesome. Get it out of you before you earn too many more credits that would then otherwise be wasted.

I'm unsure about the light, havnt kept in contact with the individual. But I really think he was using it to actually learn 'how to' diy an led light lol, kind of like a template.

Ah, thanks for the ID. Your corals are outstanding. Here are some updated shots! I moved some things around a little, still not final positions though.

003-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

015.jpg

014-1.jpg

And some top down shots

010-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

012-1.jpg

011.jpg

009-1.jpg

Awesome looking tank man. I have been contemplating taking home some sunset monti from my fish store but seeing how awesome yours looks sealed the deal. Im picking some up tomorrow. I really like your scape and livestock so far. Nice work.

Awesome looking tank man. I have been contemplating taking home some sunset monti from my fish store but seeing how awesome yours looks sealed the deal. Im picking some up tomorrow. I really like your scape and livestock so far. Nice work.

Thanks brah, the sunset monti has always been one of my favorite corals, and rrcg50 absolutely has some of the best specimens. With such small tanks, it's easier to fill them with better corals, and that itself is awesome.

The scape isn't final yet, I'm not completely happy with it, and I have a skimmer box coming in the mail that will take up some real estate.

Pods are starting to take over the glass, things will be kicking off soon. Corals are looking great!

looks great man. that monti is still my favortie :) are the LED's bleaching your birdsnest? did you get all those ceriths from reefcleaners?

looks great man. that monti is still my favortie :) are the LED's bleaching your birdsnest? did you get all those ceriths from reefcleaners?

Thanks! Yeah, my snails are reefcleaners. The birdsnest in the middle just didn't unfortunately make the shipping trip. I'm going to try and order another one though, because the ponape birdsnest is doing great, just difficult to photo the colors. I'm going to put the monti on that skeleton and hopefully it can encrust it.

nice kyle

this tank has great potential!

Thank you! Picos are easy to fill up, so I cant wait for the grow out peroid. Here are some updated shots of the tank, everything is doing really well. I also was able to get rid of all the surface scum thanks to glazer's awesome craftsmanship!

002-5.jpg

004-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-1.jpg

025-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

018.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

028-1.jpg