ReefCleaners.org

Tech 45 LED build

Cheetos

We wanted to bring the 45 gal upstairs where there is no air conditioning and didn't want to deal with the tank getting too hot this summer from the existing halide so I gave in and built another LED setup for this tank. Now all three tanks are running diy builds. I also wanted to keep the existing Aqualight fixture that goes so well with this tank so I had to do a few modifications to get this to work. I removed the original 150w halide and reflector and added a heatsink the exact same size to take it's place. This new light is running on Meanwell P drivers and the new light controller from rapidled. Enjoy!

The heatsink drilled, tapped, and polished

DSC_0268.jpg

LEDs mounted

DSC_0287.jpg

Testing them with 60 degree optics

DSC_0300.jpg

The Aqualight fixture

DSC_0303.jpg

The light gutted

DSC_0309.jpg

LEDs installed

DSC_0310.jpg

Back together and another test

DSC_0312.jpg

And the final product

DSC_0325.jpg

An all blue shot

DSC_0331.jpg

Nice Build- I am going to be building something similar to my setup- But I am going to do a 45 Cube with an 18" heat sink pre-drilled and tapped bur not from rapidled.

Very nice build. Really clean.

Thanks!

Nice Build- I am going to be building something similar to my setup- But I am going to do a 45 Cube with an 18" heat sink pre-drilled and tapped bur not from rapidled.

How many LEDs will you be using. I thought about gutting the whole fixture and using a larger heatsink to accommodate 36 LEDs. Actually, I'm glad I didn't . The 24 give great coverage and it saved me a few bucks.

Great Job. Would love to know how the PWN controller is working out for you.

Thanks! The controller is pretty cool. I was originally going to use the D driver and build my own dimmer but for the new price of the controller it was a no brainer. Manual mode is great because you can set the intensity on each channel individually to get the right color. The daylight modes are pretty cool too with the sunrise and sunset. It would have been nice if they added the individual intensity control in the daylight modes too. But all in all can't complain!

Nice. Don't forget to add it to the list.

Done! Thanks!

nice work - real clean!

you should retro in some t5's and pull the pc's out.

Thanks! Might be something to think about. Right now I'm not running the PCs and I'm not sure if T5s would be overpowered by the LEDs.

nice job cheetos

Thanks Doc!

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I just added two 3 watt red LEDs to the fixture. Some of the corals were looking a little off color. The reds definitely make a huge difference in bringing out those colors again!

nice tank. Cheetos.

How is the red doing ? It is too red or spotted red or a hint of red when you turn them on with other? Do you every try to get the red and the Blue going together? How is the color like ?

nice tank. Cheetos.

How is the red doing ? It is too red or spotted red or a hint of red when you turn them on with other? Do you every try to get the red and the Blue going together? How is the color like ?

I added one red at first and I really couldn't see a difference with it on or off so I added a second. There is no spotting and it is barely noticeable but does add some extra colors to the corals.

Archived