Innovative Marine Aquariums

Brian's Fluval Edge Pico

streakr22

streakr22

Hey guys. I've had a Fluval Edge aquarium sitting in my closet for a few months after I took down the freshwater setup I had going in there. I still really like the sleek looks of the Edge so I've recently decided to set it up as a small reef tank.

Here's what I have setup so far:

FTS (no flash)

DSCN0600.JPG

FTS (with flash)

DSCN0601.JPG

Current Equipment:

• Fluval Edge 6.6gal Aquarium
  • stock AquaClear 20 HOB filter (AC30 upgrade in near future)
  • Fluval Edge heater (will upgrade with filter)
  • 2x MR11 GU4 Base 10 LEDs SMD 5050 LED Bulb Wide Angle Cool White 6000K bulbs
  • Filter floss (Purigen and CPE once cycle is complete)
  • 5lbs dry reef rock from ReefCleaners.org
  • 5lbs dry reef sand

Current light setup will be replaced by NanoCustoms Edge fixture that I ordered April 12th. LED arrangement will be Cool White, Royal Blue, Cool White.

Potential Stocklist:

Fish (2-3 max)

• Blue Head Combtooth Blenny purchased
  • Helfrichi Firefish purchased
  • Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
  • Neon Goby

Invertebrates

• Maxi Mini Carpet Anemones
  • Sexy Shrimp trio
  • Micro Brittle Stars
  • Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • Virgin Nerite Snails
  • Blood Shrimp

Corals - LPS and Softies

• Purple Frogspawn
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Zoanthids
  • Ricordea Florida

So, let me know what you think. Any suggestions for stocking or equipment ideas? Thanks for any advice!

brandon429

Those lights are sick man didn't know you could get that wide of coverage and the low heat LED is just sharp.

I thought the lights were stock and then I read about the LED's, it preserves the intended look of that setup greatly, its really sharp.

streakr22
Those lights are sick man didn't know you could get that wide of coverage and the low heat LED is just sharp.

I thought the lights were stock and then I read about the LED's, it preserves the intended look of that setup greatly, its really sharp.

Thanks! I must admit... I may or may not have edited the photos to look better as these lights are still kind of blah. Nevertheless, the nanotuners fixture is really what I'm truly eager for and will junk these bulbs as soon as it comes in :).

streakr22
That nanotuner fixture for these is pure sex!

I know! Right? Its only been 2-1/2 weeks and the wait is already killing me. I am SO stoked to get that fixture over my tank. I hope its worth it because that light cost more than 3x as much as the tank itself!

That nanotuner fixture for these is pure sex!

HAHA... it does look sweet.

I'll be watching this thread closely as these tanks do look awesome. Good luck!

you may want maxi mini carpets instead of the tiny mini minis. the ones you chose are extremely small..

Got my Dr. Tim's One and Only live nitrifying bacteria and Ammonium Chloride in the mail today.

DSCN0619.JPG

And here are the test results after 3 hours in the tank:

DSCN0618.JPG

Day #1:

Salinity: 1.024

Temp: 78F

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0.5-1 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Im not sure if I would go for the Linkia. Starfish in general dont do too hot in nanos

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=266328

Also I looked up the measurements for an AC50 and Im pretty sure there is no way to fit it in. I think it is an inch too long front->back? I removed the stock fixture and the little tabs so I have maximum room in the back but Im pretty sure it just wont fit. I dont remember about the AC30. My ultimate plan is to make a custom acrylic filter/fuge to go in the back area.

And +1 to the nanotuners fixture. Pure sex is right, youre going to love it :) What configuration did you go for?

Im not sure if I would go for the Linkia. Starfish in general dont do too hot in nanos

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=266328

Maybe you're right. I'm not completely set on the linkia. Any starfish that doesn't hide all the time, isn't ugly, and doesn't eat corals/inverts will be fine with me.

Also I looked up the measurements for an AC50 and Im pretty sure there is no way to fit it in. I think it is an inch too long front->back? I removed the stock fixture and the little tabs so I have maximum room in the back but Im pretty sure it just wont fit. I dont remember about the AC30. My ultimate plan is to make a custom acrylic filter/fuge to go in the back area.

Ah thanks. I think I've read from ElFab and others that an AC30 can fit. Too bad on the AC50 though. Maybe I can sell it on the classifieds forum.

And +1 to the nanotuners fixture. Pure sex is right, youre going to love it :) What configuration did you go for?

++ Pure sex is definitely right! Currently their orders are being held up as they wait for their shipment of LEDs to come in. I went for CW | RB | CW .

*whistles Jeopardy theme music*

Maybe you're right. I'm not completely set on the linkia. Any starfish that doesn't hide all the time, isn't ugly, and doesn't eat corals/inverts will be fine with me.

I know some people have done it, but I dont know what starfish thrive in nanos besides asterinas and micro brittles

Ah thanks. I think I've read from ElFab and others that an AC30 can fit. Too bad on the AC50 though. Maybe I can sell it on the classifieds forum.

Im not 100% sure one this. I never had an AC50 so I didnt get to clip off the little things that stick out. I just looked up the dimensions online. If it would fit that would be awesome (for all Edge owners)! I would definitely check before I sold it.

++ Pure sex is definitely right! Currently their orders are being held up as they wait for their shipment of LEDs to come in. I went for CW | RB | CW .

*whistles Jeopardy theme music*

Good call that's what I went for :) The 5050/RB/5050 that a lot of people seem to go for is wayyy too much blue IMO

Good call that's what I went for :) The 5050/RB/5050 that a lot of people seem to go for is wayyy too much blue IMO

I like blue but I'd like to be able to dial it back in case the color isn't exactly what I'm going for.

DSCN0621.JPG

Day #3:

Ammonia: 1 ppm

Nitrite: 0.25 ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

Notable dedication in daily testing :P but honestly, you could test at 3 day intervals or even give this thing a week or two to stabilize then test to check if any ammo or nitrite is present.

Notable dedication in daily testing :P but honestly, you could test at 3 day intervals or even give this thing a week or two to stabilize then test to check if any ammo or nitrite is present.

You're probably right but I'm performing a bit of an experiment. According to Dr. Tim, the One and Only Bacteria culture he sells can cycle a tank in as soon as 5 days. I'm testing his claims by keeping a daily record of the bacterial progress in my tank.

o you used that stuff too? that must be why i see base rock in the tank. which one did you use, the bottle for SW or the bottle for Reef?(assuming he has two different ones)

Cool rockwork! I really like the sleek look of the Fluval Edge! You should definitely look at getting some sexy anemone shrimp - I saw some at my LFS and fell in love with them... :wub: If you choose to get the possum wrasse, just know that they're really reclusive and shy if kept with anything fast moving/semi-aggressive. I read about someone who had one in a 10 gallon tank that starved to death because it became so intimidated and was harassed by its tank mates. I saw that kind of blenny on the Diver's Den the other day - looked awesome! Great purchase and good luck with your tank! :happy:

haha, sorry it was easy to miss that one :P

No problem. :)

Cool rockwork! I really like the sleek look of the Fluval Edge! You should definitely look at getting some sexy anemone shrimp - I saw some at my LFS and fell in love with them... :wub: If you choose to get the possum wrasse, just know that they're really reclusive and shy if kept with anything fast moving/semi-aggressive. I read about someone who had one in a 10 gallon tank that starved to death because it became so intimidated and was harassed by its tank mates. I saw that kind of blenny on the Diver's Den the other day - looked awesome! Great purchase and good luck with your tank! :happy:

I do plan on adding some sexy shrimp. Not sure where I'll get some yet. I might have to order online because my LFS doesn't carry them. They've also stopped carrying anything that is wild caught. I did not know that about the possum wrasse's shyness. I'm still on the fence about that fish though since I already have 2 of the fish on my list. I probably won't be adding any other fish. The blenny you saw on Diver's Den was probably the one I bought! He was too damn cute to pass up. The new fish are hanging out in my 22g Cadlights while the Edge cycles. Thanks for all the compliments!

DSCN0622.JPG

Day #4:

Ammonia: 0.5ppm

Nitrite: 0.5ppm

Nitrate: 5 ppm

DSCN0625.JPG

Day #6:

pH: 7.8

Ammonia: 1.0 ppm

Nitrite: 5.0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Looks like the nitrifying bacteria are getting to work. omgomgomg

I'm going on vacation for a week starting Tuesday so I won't be updating til after then. In other news, Twitch (blenny) and Simone (firefish) are doing great in their temporary home while the Edge cycles. I also did a little rescaping while topping the water off so I'll upload a pic of that when I get a chance. Right now the water is a bit cloudy.

Does the :happydance:

- Bri

• 2 weeks later...

Well things have been coming along nicely. Parameters are stabilizing. I'll be taking another reading Monday to see how things are going. I found a great deal on a barely used MP10ES so I'm going to replace the Koralia Nano I have in the tank with that. I also got a few frags of lots of different macro algae so I'll be putting pictures up to show you guys in a few days.

• Red Titan
    Blue Ochtodes
    Red Grape Caulerpa
    Fauchea
    Flame Algae
    Chaeto

Awesome...

I just got some blue ochtodes, it's pretty cool. Those are some pretty sweet macros you scored, flame algae is awesome--I wish I had some! And I googled fauchea, that one is great looking too

post some new pics!

Day #22:

Temp: 79F

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 20 ppm

Looks like my cycle is nearing stabilization.

Archived