inTank Media Baskets

Tyron's 10g DIY LED Build

Tyron

After countless hours of looking through other builds and asking a whooole bunch of questions. i finally stepped into a big mass of LED funk. The whole point of me building this was to light a 10g frag tank and to get some experience with Leds. I would like to thank My Mom(lol), Evil, Andru24,waterproof, everybody who has their build listed on LED list, and everyone who answered any questions for me.

equipment list

6-CW xre

6-RB xpe

2-Buckpucks with Pots (700ma)

2-Protrans PS's

2-Plugs from my old BC8 hood

Misc.-BQ pads,solder(63/37),40w soldering iron from RShack, wirestrippers, 22awg wire,knobs,heatshrink etc

Well lets just get into it

here are some of the supplies

IMAG0001.jpg

these are the CWs, disaster99 helped me get these a whiiiilllee back from china. he had an awesome hookup

IMAG0002.jpg

these are the RBs XPEs

IMAG0005.jpg

The 700ma Bucks

IMAG0006.jpg

Got the BQ pads stuck on. Man everything looked straight and right up close, you back away from it and well...not too aweful lol

IMAG0007.jpg

Leds Stuck on the BQ pads

IMAG0010.jpg

Soldering 1 Chain

IMAG0011.jpg

Both Chains getting soldered

IMAG0014.jpg

Closer shot

IMAG0015.jpg

Another

IMAG0016.jpg

Both Protrans in a project box(7x5x3)

IMAG0019.jpg

Another Shot

IMAG0023.jpg

whites down low, need to adjust my knobs, but i might get rid of these idk yet

IMAG0024.jpg

another shot

IMAG0022.jpg

Blues down low

IMAG0021.jpg

Both Chains

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0020.jpg

Another shot of both chains

IMAG0025.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

i also tried to use dc power connectors to connect the lights to the box but i dont know what i was doing wrong but i couldnt get it to work. i tried switching wires and hookups but i just scrapped the idea. that why you see the hole where the wires go into the box. Now all i have to do is figure out some kind of fixture for this and hang it.

to wire this up i just followed waterproof's schematic on the second page of his build thread. but it was still easy to figure out.

I would like to say that i am by no stretch of the imagination good with electronics and projects like this. BUT with patience you can do this. Of course mine is not the prettiest girl at the prom, but she still can dance.LOL. So if you're on the fence about doing one, just jump into it with both feet, the water isnt that bad.

thanks yall

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would suggest adding some ventilation holes to that box to let the power supplies breath a bit. Also, why lenses on the whites and not the blues?

Yea that's the plan for today. Drilling holes in the box and making a wood fixture for the heatsink. And I still need to order the other lenses. I overlooked it when I ordered before.

Congrats Tyron,

Looks cool. Post some pics with the tank once you get everything setup. Like Evil said add a small fan to push air put from the box with power supplies as these Potrans power supplies get quite hot and you have two of them. I have them outside under my couch open and still warm to touch.

Very good job though.

how hard is it to drill and tap holes in heatsinks? how long does it take, i only need to do four

It's pretty quick, but take it slow with this being your first time. Rushing will only lead to broken taps and drill bits.

Pretty much. I would advise getting the tap kits from places like Home Depot that have the drill and the tap in one package. Drill size is important to getting good thread formation. Too large, and the threads are almost non-existant, and will strip easily. Too small and it will be a b!tch to tap, and you run greater risk of snapping the tap. Use a cutting lube while drilling and tapping. Aluminum is soft, and will grab the bit if allowed to. WD40 works. Cooking oil too in a pinch.

Wheew the holes are drilled. No broken bits. Do I Tap from the bottom or top or it doesn't matter

Wheew the holes are drilled. No broken bits. Do I Tap from the bottom or top or it doesn't matter

Well they are all threaded. Man that was a task. The eye bolts I have are 1/4 but I had to tap 5/16 threads. Could I just hang it with the 1/4 eye bolts even though its a Tad smaller. Or should I just buy the 5/16ths ones. It'll be like the heatsink is resting on the bolts and not supported with the threads

Do you mean that the heatsink will be resting on the nuts that are threaded onto the bolts that pass through the heatsink? If so, you'll be fine.

Yea that's what I was going to do. But I had the CWs just sitting here so I just DIYed this bish

Well here's a little update. I painted the back and bottom black.

Got the fixture hanging on a PVC fixture I made

IMAG0027.jpg

You can see how I completely botched this corner piece. Cuz I can't cut straight for shizz. I'm going to do it over though. It will sit midway at 6in.

IMAG0028.jpg

And here's the other corner piece. This one will sit higher at 9in.

IMAG0029.jpg

I guess I'm ready for water. . .

i just bought some more dc power connectors. i think the last ones had to have been duds because they looked like they were used or something. anything special i should know about wiring them up?

Well I got the new jacks wired up. I knew the others were bad

IMAG0039.jpg

Got water in the tank and threw some pellet food in there to start the cycle

IMAG0040.jpg

I got my Pico evolution in there now until I get my tunze 6015. Huuuh lets go cycle... I guess I could redo that frag shelf while I wait

Updated the frag shelves. One of my legs got a little off but oh well. Its a frag tank.

IMAG0041.jpg

Archived