Top Shelf Aquatics

TDS question

jkaese

Ok so if you save some ro water in a bucket what would be a accepetble TDS reading befor you toss it, if you did not end up using it. I have a portable TDS meter and just used it on some ro water thats been in my plastic bucket for a week and it read .008 ppm so I tossed it, let me know. Oh yeah the ro unit is a week and a half old

Ok so if you save some ro water in a bucket what would be a accepetble TDS reading befor you toss it, if you did not end up using it. I have a portable TDS meter and just used it on some ro water thats been in my plastic bucket for a week and it read .008 ppm so I tossed it, let me know. Oh yeah the ro unit is a week and a half old

Anyone????

Rabidgerbil38

.015 us where I draw the line, but it's all up to you. Just to be sure since you didn't say, you do have a DI cartridge right?

.015 us where I draw the line, but it's all up to you. Just to be sure since you didn't say, you do have a DI cartridge right?

Yes I do have a DI

You should be getting 0 TDS after the DI... where did you get the unit? It could be defective or something since it's not working properly.

You should be getting 0 TDS after the DI... where did you get the unit? It could be defective or something since it's not working properly.

i,am getting 0 reading but after the water sits in the bucket for a week or so I was getting .008 ppm which is still nothing

i,am getting 0 reading but after the water sits in the bucket for a week or so I was getting .008 ppm which is still nothing

I got it at bulkreefsupply 4 stage unit, must be from sitting around it starts to creep up

...must be from sitting around it starts to creep up
Either from being uncovered or from the container itself. Do you know if your container is rated for potable water?
Either from being uncovered or from the container itself. Do you know if your container is rated for potable water?

no it's just a 5 gallon bucket from home depot with a lid, .008 ppm Iam not gona stress too much over that but I figured that would happen if it was sitting in there for over a week.

no it's just a 5 gallon bucket from home depot with a lid, .008 ppm Iam not gona stress too much over that...
It's still very low; I'm just giving possible explanations for the increase.

However, do you know what plasic recycling number is stamped on your container? I'm probably more paranoid about it than necessary, but it could be leaching potentially harmful chemicals into the water. Occasional use of non-potable rated plastics shouldn't cause a real problem, but constant top offs with contaminated water will cause that particular contaminate to build up over time. TDS doesn't tell you what the dissolved solid is, just that something exists.

It's still very low; I'm just giving possible explanations for the increase.

However, do you know what plasic recycling number is stamped on your container? I'm probably more paranoid about it than necessary, but it could be leaching potentially harmful chemicals into the water. Occasional use of non-potable rated plastics shouldn't cause a real problem, but constant top offs with contaminated water will cause that particular contaminate to build up over time. TDS doesn't tell you what the dissolved solid is, just that something exists.

Very true iam at work now so I cant checkk the stamp, what would you suggest as a alternitive. Also where would I pick this alternitive up at, thanks

I just looked at one of my Homer Buckets and it is #2 HDPE, which is relatively safe. When buying water storage containers, I usually look for something designed for potable water.

Archived