Cultivated Reef

rimless starphire 90g [36x36x16]

exigency

hey folks, i've had this unbearable itch to return to the hobby after 5 years and here i am, back and as broke as ever -_- . i used to have a 4.98g pico on this forum, but it has probably been long forgotten. so now i'm back and trying to outdo what i thought was awesome back in 2007.

i just had a tank custom built with 3 starphire sides, with the dimensions of 36x36x16 inches to make a shallow square prism. there're some pictures included (excuse the size of the photos, my phone won't save the full image, but only thumbnails :angry: ). i'll also post imageshack links in the future for any photos posted after this post for readers' sake.

as for equipment, there's some displayed in another photo that includes: an swc xtreme 160 cone skimmer, a buckeye field supply 4 stage 100 gpd premium ro/di system, a huge bucket of seachem reefsalt, an rhs-10atc refractometer + calibration fluid.

since then, i've acquired two mp40wES, an eheim 1262 return pump, a used mag12 for mixing salt, two mj1200s, a BRS GFO/carbon dual reactor, a used neptunes ac3 with dc8/dc4hd and numerous probes and thingamabobbers, jbj ATO, 3/4" loc-lines, etc..

what's left on the list is: 2x24 diy CREE led setup [will go in-depth later on], sump, stand, and a ton of miscellaneous things.

thanks for reading!

post-20009-1303271945.jpg

post-20009-1303271950.jpg

post-20009-1303271953.jpg

post-20009-1303271955.jpg

post-20009-1303271958.jpg

post-20009-1303272628_thumb.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! 36x36 will mean plenty of swimming room and lots of rock work for corals! Are you planning on SPS?

yes, i am planning on having an sps dominant tank and stocking with nice, vibrant fish. i am currently getting the stand/sump/led fixture ready, but i've been so busy with work that i hardly have any time to update :(

SUBSCRIBED!!
Looks great subscribed as well.
+1

thanks for the subscriptions :lol:

Looks awesome. I wish I'd have gone with clear silicone after seeing this. Oh well.

thanks! after the glass was cut, i flipped a coin on whether to use black or clear silicone and it seems as though i was lucky :happy:

it's official, my diy lighting is underway.

here're the details:

rapidled 48 ultra premium dimmable led kit [24x xp-e royal blue + 24x xp-g cool white]

rapidled diy dimmer knobs

2x [24"x5.8886"] heatsinkusa heatsinks

[3 xp-g neutral white + 3 xp-e blue] (contemplating this part)

no optics

4x mean well 60-48D

i promise pictures will soon flood this thread!

Chris George

Awesome, can't wait to see it. My DIY time was filled completely with my stand, so I'll be buying my lights ready-made. Good luck!

Awesome, can't wait to see it. My DIY time was filled completely with my stand, so I'll be buying my lights ready-made. Good luck!

thanks :lol: i wish i could throw down for an ai sol or vertex fixture, but they are simply out of my price range :tears:

awesome! I wish I had the space in my apartment. I was really considering a 36 x 36 x 18. Guess I'll just enjoy yours :) seems like its going to be a super build!

did you just used tape to hold the glass panels in place? I see some 90 degree corner clamps but nothing more? no 36" clamps to squeeze a little more?

awesome! I wish I had the space in my apartment. I was really considering a 36 x 36 x 18. Guess I'll just enjoy yours :) seems like its going to be a super build!

did you just used tape to hold the glass panels in place? I see some 90 degree corner clamps but nothing more? no 36" clamps to squeeze a little more?

i had a fellow member of my local reef club build the tank for me, i'll ask him about the details on the equipment he used and i'll follow you up accordingly.

by the way, for those that are interested in more of the specs of the tank! it's a 12x9 ABS overflow, the bottom piece of glass is 1/2" thick, the 4 sides [3 starphire + 1 regular] are 3/8" thick. we went with a thicker bottom to increase the safety factor by 30% or so. there're also two holes drilled, 1.5" for the drain and 1" return.

• 4 weeks later...

well, i ordered my lighting equipment with a few other folks from rapidled, through a bud of mine that owns an LFS. it was a huge order with 4-5 people's orders, including mine, and it was lost by USPS :angry: . i was under the presumption that the package was insured, since it was rather expensive, but boy was i wrong! no insurance and no one to front the losses, so it looks like i'll have to order another kit once i get my finances in order.

WTF??

That's crazy! Hopefully USPS finds the package.

right?! that phrase has been running through my mind forever now.. :angry: anyway, we've gotten the run around from USPS and a rapidled representative has only offered mediocre resolutions. i've thrown in the towel on trying to retrieve the lost package and will order a new kit by next week once i get paid -_-

Who made the tank?

a fellow member of my local reef club in dallas, i can pm you the details if you wish (i'm not sure if it'd be considered advertising or something if i were to name the club/member).

• 2 weeks later...

new kit ordered! this time, it better be here or i'll ragequit :angry: anyway, the stand/sump are also in the midst of being built and i hope to be able to get some pics up soon, but my work-life is ridiculously overwhelming for me to get much done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

i apologize about the very late update. unfortunately, i've been swamped for the past year with my career and life, to the point where i really didn't have time to continue investing in this hobby. however, everything is finally in order and i'm ready to get this show back on the road! lately, i've really been grinding away at getting equipment and materials necessary to get this tank up; the final stretch is in sight.

here're some teaser pics to show y'all that i'm really working towards my goal!

lSXPF.jpg?1

82lbs of liverock from marcorocks

vm24H.jpg?1

36x36x40 steel stand w/ adjustable light rack

qecbe.jpg?1

29x29x16 sump (designed after the melev model m)

O7e4x.jpg?1

36x36x16 starphire tank!

today's a big day; i'm finally starting to get things really set up in the house. here're some pictures!

GEhVE.jpg?1

moved the tank's location

kpEib.jpg?1

sump, again, from a different view

i'm calling it a night! here're some MOAR PICS!

ZSktl.jpg

getting ready for sand and LR!

rigop.jpg

display with sand and LR

RssSa.jpg

sump with sand and leftover LR

LhHil.jpg

left side of display

AD5E9.jpg

right side of display right

JXkYS.jpg

full view