Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

AA 17.5 Cube tank shallow

thewire

I bought this tank last year August from a member here pretty cheap. I have finally get around to set it up.

Tank: Advance Acrylic 20x20x10 Cube (shallow tank) with 10g sump

Skimmer: Tunze 9010 (rip Vertex In-80 - too big for my sump)

Return pump: Mag 3 with a tee on return (thinking about replacing with something use less energy)

Flow pump: Vortech MP10ES

I will post more pictures when I have a chance to take it. I just started to cycle the tank about a week ago. Rockwork still in works..what you think about this first layout?

I am still working on the light :(

FTS 7/29/2011

DSC02190.jpg

Under the sump

DSC02191.jpg

Awesome! looks great, I would keep the rocks like they are for the most part. Is everything flowing well? What are you using for lighting?

Awesome! looks great, I would keep the rocks like they are for the most part. Is everything flowing well? What are you using for lighting?

Thanks! I think it has plenty of flow with the Vortech MP10 in it too. I have a led built already but i need to get time to build the housing

Thanks! I think it has plenty of flow with the Vortech MP10 in it too. I have a led built already but i need to get time to build the housing

Needs more rock... :P

Kylebeano

Hows everything coming along? Light, cycle, algae? I like the minimalist rockwork, you wont need much rock, and you have a good skimmer in there.

Psychosis

I can't put my finer on what I like about your tank exactly. ..hmmm.

I like it a lot so far, i'll tag along.

Hows everything coming along? Light, cycle, algae? I like the minimalist rockwork, you wont need much rock, and you have a good skimmer in there.

Thanks man. I started cycle about 2-3 weeks ago...I have some some media to jump start the cycle. So far I think it's almost ready. I have finally finish soldering all the lighting, pot, etc. One more thing i need to get it done is to cut the acrylic sheet to make the light housing.

I can't put my finer on what I like about your tank exactly. ..hmmm.

I like it a lot so far, i'll tag along.

Thanks man..maybe simple setup? lol

I will update with picture very soon when I have the light setup.

I am still debating what kind of fish I should have in it? Maybe a pair of Onyx clownfish or chromis? what you think?

Corals will be mostly SPS with some zoas..

Psychosis

It could be that I should have opted for an external overflow. Your tank is similar to mine, only with the equipment I want haha. I do like the minimalist look, went a different route with my scape. More rock = more coral mounting. What could possibly go wrong? :P

I'd say clowns would look great. I went with a pair of pajama cardinals in mine. I'm happy with them, but looking back I might have stuck to clownfish of some sort.

Lovin' the minimalist clean look!

Thanks..in order to keep that background black, i think i have to constantly scrap the coraline al

It could be that I should have opted for an external overflow. Your tank is similar to mine, only with the equipment I want haha. I do like the minimalist look, went a different route with my scape. More rock = more coral mounting. What could possibly go wrong? :P

I'd say clowns would look great. I went with a pair of pajama cardinals in mine. I'm happy with them, but looking back I might have stuck to clownfish of some sort.

that very true but I will keep coral list simple too lol...

Not much update since..

Here is the LED light I just finished (temporary), as it's sitting on 2 2x4 blocks, blocking all the side lights...running on real low since I still need to hook up the pc fans up. I will need to build an acrylic box as housing.

DSC01960.jpg

Underneath the stand:

I have Vertex In-80 skimmer, heater, and return pump. I used the polyethylene board that you use for siding.

P1040077.jpg

Looks good thats an awesome skimmer

Thanks man!..I am still trying to figure out if it skimming lol...it does get some browish light color water..but there is no bioload now (almost)

Your tank is my inspiration!..love it

• 1 month later...
digitalfreq
Thanks man!..I am still trying to figure out if it skimming lol...it does get some browish light color water..but there is no bioload now (almost)

Your tank is my inspiration!..love it

More tank pics please! following!

More tank pics please! following!

sorry, been real slacking on it. I have the light up and running but I took the skimmer out since it's too damn big (dimension). It's a great skimmer but I having trouble with water level. I am suppose to trade for a Tunze skimmer soon.

Other than that, I have added a GFO reactor. Here is a picture from my cam (love this Foscam IP camera)

Camera2_06-19-2011_095014PM.jpg

added some Captain America paly though

captianamerican1.jpg

and some chalices..(one of them recovered from some alkalinity issue on another tank. It was receding but I think i saved it. It's growing now

DSC02106.jpg

Looking awesome Wire! I had the same tank but it was just too shallow for me, so I must say, great job executing this tank! It's going to look great!

Looking awesome Wire! I had the same tank but it was just too shallow for me, so I must say, great job executing this tank! It's going to look great!

Thanks. I know. I read your AA tank thread. It was an awesome build you have but you sold it :(

shallow = less light required lol

• 3 weeks later...

Some update...my rockwork still sucks! FTS on 1st post

I have added two clownfish in the tank

One of them came from my nano nc12 tank - b/w clownfish and I just purchased a serious misbar clownfish (both side is identical pattern)

DSC02151.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

AWESOME. You take some great pictures dude. Did build the LED from scratch? Wiring and everything?

Thanks Bro. Yes, i built everything from scratch including the housing. I still need to drill some holes on the casing so I can dress the cables cleaner..

Looks great!

Thanks man

Cooooool! Finally some life in there! Great job so far, the reactor will probably help out just as much as a skimmer too. You did a really good job on the sump by the looks of it.

I like the lagoon scape, open and more room for coral placement and growth. That war coral makes a nice centerpiece. Good job dude

Cooooool! Finally some life in there! Great job so far, the reactor will probably help out just as much as a skimmer too. You did a really good job on the sump by the looks of it.

I like the lagoon scape, open and more room for coral placement and growth. That war coral makes a nice centerpiece. Good job dude

Thanks man!

I can definitely see the advantage of having a phosban and skimmer (i replaced the Vertex with a smaller footprint skimmer to Tunze 9010). One of my green highlighter was brown out in my nanocube as I can't really control the po4 in it, is turning bright green again. The blue tort is starting to encrust.

I have added red planet and a tort? i think lol.

So far so good. I need to take pictures!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived