Torch Coral(view from the top):

5874526543_bf977bd5c6_z.jpg

My zoas and open brain(also a top view):

5874526881_3387f2b99b_z.jpg

FTS as of 5-28-11:

5768192717_6172457654_z.jpg

FTS as of 4-24-11

5650140346_1aa3c388b8_z.jpg

Here is my 1st attempt at a reef tank. Been lots of fun so far.

Week one: added 20lb live sand, premixed water from LFS, water heated to to 78, and stock pump/filter running

Week two: added 14.5lb of cured live rock from LFS

week three: added tank raised clown and biocube protein skimmer. All water tests performed at LFS and said to be perfect.

week four: 25% water change during the week. Added royal gramma since next water test was all good. Also added 2 frag polyps and 4 snails to the tank.

week five: 25% water change, added 2 red legs crabs, added 2 red/green mushroom frags, and star ployp rock. Water tests still show all is good. Having issues with heat since it's starting to get warm. Water temp was at 86. Thinking about geting a chiller or removing PC lights for LED's.

week six(current week): Tossed out PC lights for LED Retro fit due to heat issues on warm days.

LED's include 1x panorama 50/50, 1x panorama 453nm blue, and a DIY LED's I made with 5x 6k & 5x blue superflux LED's from oznium.com . I know the superflux isn't the best thing for reef but I had some extra ones laying around that I used for some other projects. It added a nice touch in the end so I will be keeping them in the setup. Got API Water test kit. Water looking good still. Added a yellow clown gobby and a pagoda cup coral. Will do another water change in a couple of days. Zero deaths so far. Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

The list of hardware goodies:

1. 20lb sand

2. About 25lb of cured live rock

3. stock return pump for now

4. biocube protein skimmer

5. 100wt heater

6. filter floss on top drip plate w/stock bio balls bellow

7. Removed PC lights for LED's. 50/50, 8k, and 453nm blue panorama's installed in stock hood.

8. About 5lb of live rock rubble

9. MP10

10. JBJ Chiller (bought used)

Live stock list:

1. 1x True Perk Clown

2. 1x Black tank raised clown

3. 1x Royal Gramma

3. 2x red leg hermit crabs

4. 1x cleaner shrimp

5. 1x pepermint shrimp

6. 4x Astraea snails

Coral's:

1. 1x pagoda cup (cream/white color)

2. 1x green & 1x red Mushroom

3. 1x star polyp rock

4. 2x other frag polyps

5. Red Galaxy frags

6. Purple hornet frag

7. True Red PE frag

8. Ultra neon green candy kane

9. Torch

10. Peaches and Cream zoa frag

11. BiColor Hammer Frag(2 heads)

12. ORA Neon Green Birds nest

I am 90% sure I am done adding fish unless I trade something in at the LFS for something else I like better. Of course all comments are welcomed and suggestion for more corals and clean up crew are welcomed too.

I dont have any pics at the moment. Will add some in a bit. I do have a a video I made on youtube.

Here is a update as of today.

Water test are all good still. 25% water change was done on Wednesday.

Went to the LFS and picked up some more cured live rock. Added 5lb and about 2.5lb of live rock rubble. Also picked up 10 blue legged hermit crabs and 15 larger empty shells. Will post some pics once everything clears up from adding/moving rocks around.

thats a lot of hermit crabs haha, anyway the setup looks nice so far

i like the pagod coral

Thanks and I know its a lot of hermits but they are so small. There shell's are around 3 to 4mm.

I am curious, which oznium leds did you use and how are they driven and mounted in the hood?

here you go.

http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux

I wouldn't use them to light my whole tank but it added just a tad bit more light to my 2 panorama I bought. They are mounted to a thin piece of plexiglass glass with 10mm led holders. They are just sitting in the hood with the stock biocube light cover holding them in. They are being powered by a $20 12v power adapter from radio shack.

I LOVE your scape definitely one of the best scapes in a 14 gal biocube i have seen yet.. in the top 3 for real

DansTundra
I LOVE your scape definitely one of the best scapes in a 14 gal biocube i have seen yet.. in the top 3 for real

Thanks! :D

DansTundra

Here are some updated Pics taken with Canon 7D with 180mm macro. Enjoy

Looks like my red mushroom frag has started multiply already. Very excited about that!! Only had it for a couple weeks now.

5685336209_525df88235_z.jpg

5685857598_789e0d25a4.jpg

5685857462_86d9841bfc_z.jpg

5685857390_86eeccaa28_z.jpg

5685288533_d98218fa36_z.jpg

5685857132_17330fe33f_z.jpg

5685856768_ee9db24fd9_z.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
DansTundra

Here is a new update and FTS pic:

5768192717_6172457654_z.jpg

I have removed my DIY superflux LED's and added a 3rd panorama LED. So now I have a full blue, 50/50, and a 8k running on the tank. I am very happy with this setup and it looks perfect and it now doesnt have a huge blue hue to the tank now. All 3 panorama's fit fine under the clear light cover of the biocube.

I have also added 8 different z's & p's frags to the tank that were bought from fellow members here. So far my fav out of them is the red galaxy and orange bam bams. I also added a LPS that a forgot the name of it(Think was called carpet something) and a neon green candy cane frag. I have also added about 5 pounds if not more of live rock rubble placed all over the tank. Also moved around some of my coral and rearange my live rock to hide my heater since it wont fit in the back with the biocube skimmer.

I look forward to any comments(good or bad) everyone has.

Really nice setup it looks bigger then a 14 from the way u did your scape and took the Pics lol i hope my 14 is as nice as your 1 day

Thanks everyone. :)

Tank looks awesome and that photo is amazing. How did you shot it? I'm having a heck of a time getting a good shot under LEDs.

How long have you had those three fish?

I had a YCG but he eventually got bossed around to much from the clown and stopped eating.

How's the Gramma in that tank? any complaints?

DansTundra
Tank looks awesome and that photo is amazing. How did you shot it? I'm having a heck of a time getting a good shot under LEDs.

How long have you had those three fish?

I had a YCG but he eventually got bossed around to much from the clown and stopped eating.

How's the Gramma in that tank? any complaints?

I am using a canon 7D with 17-40mm L and sigma 180mm macro lens. All photos done under manual mode with iso around 400-800 and 20-80 exp. The FTS is done with the 17-40mm lens and the photos a couple posts above were with the macro lens.

The gramma is deff the boss of the tank but likes to hang around the clown. The ycg is doing great and is fun to watch. Sometimes the clown will come up to him but he just swims away and perches in a coral or under my padgo cup. I did get a firefish 3 weeks ago and the gramma gives him a look or starts to swim next to him and the firefish will go hide.

Wow! Awesome tank, bud! I have a BC14 as well, and I just swapped my PCs out for 2 Panorama Modules as well (454nm and 50/50), but am thinking it's a bit TOO blue for my liking (right at 20k). Anyway, definitely thought about adding a full 8k strip in the future, but didn't know how to efficiently add it to the setup. My question is...how did you install YOUR panoramas? You drill holes through the hood to be able to bolt them in? Just resting on the splash guard? Can I get some detailed pics please? Here are some of mine...I have no idea where to place a 3rd. I have mine bolted in with a little under an inch of breathing room for the heatsinks. I also installed a Current USA Truelumen moonlight as well. Also have active, very nice fans installed in stock fan position to keep things cool.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

I am using a canon 7D with 17-40mm L and sigma 180mm macro lens. All photos done under manual mode with iso around 400-800 and 20-80 exp. The FTS is done with the 17-40mm lens and the photos a couple posts above were with the macro lens.

Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

I can't get over that FTS. Such an awesome shot. Great color.

DansTundra
Wow! Awesome tank, bud! I have a BC14 as well, and I just swapped my PCs out for 2 Panorama Modules as well (454nm and 50/50), but am thinking it's a bit TOO blue for my liking (right at 20k). Anyway, definitely thought about adding a full 8k strip in the future, but didn't know how to efficiently add it to the setup. My question is...how did you install YOUR panoramas? You drill holes through the hood to be able to bolt them in? Just resting on the splash guard? Can I get some detailed pics please? Here are some of mine...I have no idea where to place a 3rd. I have mine bolted in with a little under an inch of breathing room for the heatsinks. I also installed a Current USA Truelumen moonlight as well. Also have active, very nice fans installed in stock fan position to keep things cool.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

I left my chrome reflectors on and they are sitting on the plastic cover. I still have the stock fans

Sweet. Thanks for the tip.

I can't get over that FTS. Such an awesome shot. Great color.

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey are you running any timers with lights or how do you just plug and unplug them lol

I just unplug them.

Archived