Top Shelf Aquatics

75g FOWLR - Orange spot filefish castle

d9hp

So I've been trashing my other nano thread for a while and I figured it was high time for me to start a new thread here, although this won't be a reef. I wanted to share this tank with the N-R community as I really enjoy the people here. This tank will be a FOWLR and I got a 75g because it will eventually become a full blown display fuge that will house a flame hawk pair ONLY in a 500g+ system.

I currently have:

75g RR Oceanic Tank and stand

750gph external return pump

29g sump

Coralife 220g Super Skimmer

18W UV Sterilizer

2 x 65W 50/50 PC bulb lighting

photo3.JPG

d.JPG

I have ordered RTV103 silicone for the sump baffles.

tank.PNG

Things I am waiting to purchase:

MP40esW (for an upgrade later on) ($450...yikes)

60lbs of marco base rock (50 regular, 10 shelf rock, aquascaping morter stuff)

10-20lbs of LR to seed tank (bought from local reefers @ $2/lb

160lbs of marco sand

Reactor, heater, plumbing, etc. ($200)

Current stock list desires:

Small yellowTang

Baby blue hippo tang

Two black ocellaris clownfish

Pair of flame hawkfish

Pair of small small antennata lionfish (take a while to find these, most likely)

5 lyretail anthais (all females at first...I'll let one turn male in the tank)

Maybe a starry blenny or another fish similar...maybe.

Depending on money this may get pushed back a little bit into the summer but hopefully it's up and running before June!

I'll update my progress here, I plan on getting the sump baffles cut and some plumbing sorted out this weekend.

-Dustin

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
disaster999

with such a narrow space for the return im worried that it will be too turbulent and sensitive to water level change. going to suck in air and turn your tank all milky from microbubbles.

also, thats is a lot of fish for a 75gal. your skimmer might not handle the load, better rethink your stocking plans, or upgrade your skimmer

with such a narrow space for the return im worried that it will be too turbulent and sensitive to water level change. going to suck in air and turn your tank all milky from microbubbles.

also, thats is a lot of fish for a 75gal. your skimmer might not handle the load, better rethink your stocking plans, or upgrade your skimmer

Won't it just stabilize regardless? It's going to be pretty deep as well..I imagine it will hold a few gallons.

I know it's a lot of fish but they will all be extremely small at first and I'll upgrade in less than a year. I feed HEAVY to mitigate aggression issues and do more than one water change a week.

I don't think I'll have any problems as I don't rely on the skimmer much anyway.

My biggest concern is the lions growing quickly. Them and the hawkfish will be the only residents of this tank eventually...when I turn it into a display fuge.

Just found a guy with 40lbs of good looking LR covered in coraline for $60...picking that up on Friday so I'll only need another 50lbs or so total...then another 100lbs of sand.

Woooooooo yeah.

Got some work done today.

Mocked up all the plumbing for the sump and returns.

Finalized plans for under the sump. Fuge will be 14" of the 29g 30" tank.

I decided against bio-pellets and will run a dual reactor from BRS.

The 13" ebo jager heaters are out of stock and I need two of them.

I spray painted the back of the tank black..(serious case of spray paint head)

American DJ switcher comes in tomorrow.

Next week I'm expecting:

• float switches
  • relay for the ATO pump
  • 10lbs marco shelf rock
  • 40lbs of sand (need another 80lbs or so)

There's a pair of flame hawks on DD right now and it's killing me I want them so bad.

No coral? :eek:

Nope.

My reef is wonderful but it's a lot of work and I don't really want another one. I'm keeping the nano going for sure as I love it...but I get most of my enjoyment out of the fish and inverts so I'm doing that route this time.

Plus, two lionfish? It's going to be awesome!

I got a lot more done today...I'm currently waiting for some silicone to cure on my DIY ato reservoir...it's 8x6x20 and it will sit in the back corner of the tank...I hope 3/32" glass is thick enough for 4g of water...I don't think it should be a big issue but we'll see.

Also, got the rest of the parts for the plumbing so now the UV sterilizer sits directly above the fuge and then goes to a spray bar that will run the width of the fuge on the opposite end of the weir. Should provide enough random flow for the macros to do really well...also, I'm going to have mangroves :)

Ordering the dual reactor tonight.

-D

Egg crate...just always wanted to use the stuff to see if scaping was easier...plus the bottom is tempered on this thing:

photo-5.JPG

Need to drill the tank but here's the plumbing...the teed off pipe to the upper right feeds the UV sterilizer then to the fuge...baffles need to be ordered since 3/32" looks paper thin and I want to 1/4" glass.

photo-7.JPG

Also, decided I would just build a tank for the ATO reservior today when I realized that glass would only be about $15 and anything else I found that would fit wouldn't fill the space as well as a custom little tank. It's 8x6x20 and should hold 3g of water...enough for at least two days I figure.

photo-9.JPG

Also, the PVC is the feed from the UV sterilizer and I just made a simple spray bar in order to provide a fluid and slow flow through the fuge.

Don't do the all female anthias thing, get a male. The ones that turn in captivity are never as pretty as the wild males. My female lyretail that transformed was just a pale grayish orange with dark spots on his/her pec fins. (S)he never did turn pink.

Sounds like a pretty cool tank, can't wait to see it wet. It does sound like a lot of bioload, but should be okay if you stay on your maintenance. Just stock it slowly and you'll know if you've reached the limit.

Don't do the all female anthias thing, get a male. The ones that turn in captivity are never as pretty as the wild males. My female lyretail that transformed was just a pale grayish orange with dark spots on his/her pec fins. (S)he never did turn pink.

Hmmm thanks for the heads up I'll definitely get a male then...I really think they're beautiful fish and my current one is really something. I feed her 4x a day with a really varied diet and she has held her colors well. One day I'd love to have a few blotched anthias but they're just way too expensive right now

Sounds like a pretty cool tank, can't wait to see it wet. It does sound like a lot of bioload, but should be okay if you stay on your maintenance. Just stock it slowly and you'll know if you've reached the limit.

Thanks skillz. I think I can manage it without too much of a challenge I am mainly worried about getting the antennatas to eat but I think a good QT period will help me get them on frozen and prepared foods. I can cut slivers of fish and wiggle them in front of them if I have to...nothing like fishing at home.

Here's my little ATO reservoir - holding water!

photo(8).JPG

Got a new level yesterday and checked out the display...no leaks! Oceanic tanks are built really well so I wasn't expecting any problems despite two moves.

photo(7).JPG

I ordered some shelf rock from MarcoRocks.com and the one large piece I got had cracked in shipping:

photo(6).JPG

I emailed them about potentially repairing the rock with household items and they got me squared away with some replacement rock no question.

I've used them for sand before (am for this tank again) and went ahead and ordered 50lbs of their base rock yesterday and an aquascaping mortar kit. I was really impressed with the way Marc handled the broken rock as I know it's just a small purchase from them. I immediately ordered the rest of my stuff after dealing with him though...there really isn't enough to be said about great customer service.

I highly recommend them.

And of course I'll add in the picture of Kona man trying to help with some of the work the other day...he was just too tired after watching so much western conference hockey.

photo(9).JPG

tundrashaul

Coming along nicely. I think the key to your success with the Anthia's color it the varied, high quality you are providing. It certanly sounds a little more structured than average(including my own, I do mysis every other day with cyclop-eez in between).

Just a thought, my only regret with my system is having a sand bed. If I could do a Reef system all over, and wasn't planning on sand dwelling inverts, I wouldn't add any. I know your planning a FOWLR tank but you and I both know your going to want some Nems., Clams or LPS in there eventually!!

Coming along nicely. I think the key to your success with the Anthia's color it the varied, high quality you are providing. It certanly sounds a little more structured than average(including my own, I do mysis every other day with cyclop-eez in between).

Just a thought, my only regret with my system is having a sand bed. If I could do a Reef system all over, and wasn't planning on sand dwelling inverts, I wouldn't add any. I know your planning a FOWLR tank but you and I both know your going to want some Nems., Clams or LPS in there eventually!!

The diet certainly changes things up...I can tell a difference in the fish after multiple feedings in a day.

You regret having a sand bed?! I absolutely loathe bare bottom tanks personally...I feel like it looks like a glass box with a bunch of #### stuffed in it. For some reason I feel like saltwater tanks don't even look right without them.

I know there are a ton of positives to running a BB system but aesthetics alone is the reason I will keep a sand bed in all my tanks.

As for adding other creatures...well I have a pretty expensive taste in fish so far and I don't even have the money for the MP40 yet so we'll have to see! I think I'm going to start cycling the tank without it and use two old powerheads I have lying around and pick the MP40 after I get a few paychecks this summer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updates! I ordered two 150W jager heaters from eBay...should be here next week.

Got two 7W LED cool white spot lights for the fuge area... I want to REALLY promote algae growth in there and make it all sorts of nasty nasty.

I got all my rock in from marco rocks...sand should be here later today and I got the aquascape kit.

The significant other is going to help me do the mortar stuff but I went ahead and put together a mock scape today:

photo-4.JPG

I tried to use the shelf rock to create a few caves, overhangs, and perches for the hawks and lions to enjoy.

I think it will look good once it's all stuck together and there's a nice shallow sandbed in there. I'm getting coarse sand in hopes the MP40 doesn't blow it around as much.

Also drilled the 29g sump tank and it went well! No issues.

photo-5.JPG

I got the baffles cut at a local shop and siliconed the first bubble trap section in...my dog knocked over the big fuge baffle and it shattered so I'm heading BACK today...(soon in fact)...what a shame.

I also used acrylic to make a little float switch holder.

photo-3.JPG

last, I got the DJ powerstrip mounted and labeled so things are really starting to come together.

photo-6.JPG

phi delt reefer

go with a larger grain sand than sugar sand if you are worried about it blowing around. That or raw diamonds... though dont go with raw diamonds if you havent bought the wifey a nice ring yet - she might get pissed.

BB can look good when its done right but everyone has their own tastes. My biggest "eyesore" for a tank is seeing the water line.

Scape looks good, lots of areas to get out of view of other tankmates!

Yeah the water line is hard to get away from on rimless tanks though!

Lots of little caves behind there too...I think something like that will work well.

go with a larger grain sand than sugar sand if you are worried about it blowing around. That or raw diamonds... though dont go with raw diamonds if you havent bought the wifey a nice ring yet - she might get pissed.

I got the coarse grain sand from marco rocks...hopefully it's heavy enough to stay settled.

I considered the raw diamonds but the other half got pretty upset since she's a girlfriend...not a fiance...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the fuge LED bulbs in so I went ahead and wired them up and got that sorted out. I think it's going to be plenty of light for the fuge at only 14W total. Also, you can see the other fuge baffle to get an idea of how big it will actually be.

photo(10).JPG

And it's basically done:

photo(11).JPG

• 2 weeks later...
The build looks like it is coming along nicely. Like the aquascape. Kind of looks familiar.

Thanks...it has a lot of shelves and caves that can't really be seen but it's already been dismantled during the move to the final location. The final may look a bit different.

Everything is inside the office and it's a complete wreck. I have a lot of assembly to finish and cementing all the plumbing. I am hoping to finish wiring, finalize the plumbing, and mortar the rock all on Friday night. Saturday I want to start filling it up so Monday morning I can add sand and start the cycle...which may take a few weeks. I am going to go with MB7 from the jump and hopefully that will keep me from having a cycle that is too terribly long.

Saturday morning I have to finish painting and assembling my new desk, which has a workspace area that is 6'x3' and a nice 2'x2' chalkboard area on it...I'm pretty excited about seeing how it will come out.

Pictures soon!

Just be glad you moved that thing before you had water in it. I'm going to be moving my 180 in the next month or so!

Where did you get your DJ strips?

Just be glad you moved that thing before you had water in it. I'm going to be moving my 180 in the next month or so!

Where did you get your DJ strips?

Man that's going to be hectic...lots of planning I'm sure. It shouldn't be too bad if you're well prepared.

I got the DJ thing off Amazon.com for $30 and I'd say it's worth it just for the peace of mind for the situations where I have to explain to someone to shut different components down. I slapped some labels on it so I don't have to go searching for wires I can just turn things on and off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the tank basically up and kicking today. Water is pouring in right now. It actually went pretty well. I just cemented all the PVC together and finally got around to aquascaping the thing. The shelf rock from Marcorocks was really spectacular and I also got their mortar stuff. It was tough to use at first because I had made it a little too thin. Once I got the consistency right I was able to just start slapping stuff together. Now both big structures are 100% connected internally and are very strong. That's a good feeling for a big tank so I don't have to worry about snails wrecking something. I did it all inside the tank, which I may end up regretting one day. Hopefully the excess on the bottom pane of glass can just remain there as long as necessary.

After setting up the tank and getting everything sorted out I put a level on the tank...and it was dead level. Everyway I tried. The sump too. That's literally never happened with anything I've ever done and probably won't again. That was a nice surprise. I had a super crazy busy week and need to get the office completed over the weekend. I'll post some pictures of the new desk and everything with relation to the tank.

I love the scape...the left side that wraps around the overflow box worked out perfect. It's hard to tell right now but once the water settles I'll slap the light on the tank and get a picture.

Sump finished....BIG FUGE

DSC_0151%204.jpg

Tank after moving it over...don't mind my roommate's hookah or my dated DVD collection...

DSC_0153%204.jpg

Kona guarding my boxes of aquarium stuff:

DSC_0158%204.jpg

This one got edited way funky for some reason...but this is filling it up. I'm glad I got the 50ft of john guest tubing...it was less than $10 and a real lifesaver.

DSC_0159%204.jpg

Business side:

DSC_0182%204.jpg

This one shows how big the fuge is..I'm thinking about putting a small fish down in there actually...

The LEDs are so bright...and a perfect 6k color.

DSC_0184%204.jpg

Man that's going to be hectic...lots of planning I'm sure. It shouldn't be too bad if you're well prepared.

I got the DJ thing off Amazon.com for $30 and I'd say it's worth it just for the peace of mind for the situations where I have to explain to someone to shut different components down. I slapped some labels on it so I don't have to go searching for wires I can just turn things on and off.

I moved my old 125 twice, so I definitely know what I'm doing, it's just a huge undertaking. And the 180 is way heavier than the 125 was. At least its an excuse to swap out the sand!

I totally agree on the switches, thats why I want to get a few strips myself.

Looks good, can't wait to see it cleared up!

I moved my old 125 twice, so I definitely know what I'm doing, it's just a huge undertaking. And the 180 is way heavier than the 125 was. At least its an excuse to swap out the sand!

I totally agree on the switches, thats why I want to get a few strips myself.

Looks good, can't wait to see it cleared up!

I can't imagine...I bet it takes a minimum of four guys to move that thing around. I know this oceanic 75g is a little heavier than most (oceanic makes some beefy tanks) but it was still manageable. Me and a roommate easily got it to the second floor. So far it hasn't fallen through...

The tank has been running since last night. I got salt in and added some MB7. The temp is up and everything is looking pretty good right now.

The coralife pump is LOUD AS ####. It sounds like ####ing seaworld in my office now. It's just terrible.

I got my big industrial desk painted and assembled. I made the chalkboard area quite a bit larger. It used to be this color, which I thought was totally 1970s nursing home:

industrial-work-bench-Dallas-Houston-Austin-San-Antonio-Oklahoma-City-Little-Rock.jpg

Now it's red and black:

DSC_0188%204.jpg

The tank is just to the left:

DSC_0186%204.jpg

Last few minutes of filling:

DSC_0185%204.jpg

Ten minutes ago:

DSC_0190%204.jpg

The sump...

DSC_0191%204.jpg

I may have to buy a new pump if this one doesn't quiet down some...it sure is loud in here. The overflow isn't even audible over the pump's whine. Once I get my new i7 computer running in here it's going to sound like Cape freakin' Canaveral!

There are still lots of bubbles so I need to see if those die down but otherwise I am happy with things currently. The spray bar in the fuge is actually working out pretty well, though at higher flow rates it splashes some.

Can't wait to get some hawks in this thing!

My office reeks of urine.

I threw a cube of mysis in the tank when I was filling it up and dumped a ton of phytofeast in there...since the bottle has expired.

Should be cycled within 4 weeks now.

Awesome.

Why so bitter? :lol:

Haha well it has died down some. I doubt the tank has cycled but the ammonia is back to 0ppm. I'll continue the "new tank" doses of MB7 for another 1.5 weeks as initially directed.

My office no longer smells of anything except excitement, which if you asked a dauchsund they would inform you the scent simply hasn't changed at all.

I have to order parts for a new computer soon because my 5 year old laptop just cannot handle 20,000 row excel files and graphing 3 columns simultaneously. Who has the i7 and thinks it's worth it?

I cannot wait to have some cool fish in this aquarium....though admittedly I already think it's awesome.

Okay so I need some input on this one for those that are familiar with MB7, whether proponent or not.

I have dosed the "new tank" recommendation since the tank's inception roughly 10 days ago.

I have put in a copious amount of food since I have minimal live rock (only about 5lbs of rubble spread everywhere) and I want to make sure I see an ammonia spike.

You're like...what's copious? How about a cube of this old frozen food none of my fish like...each day. That sort of copious. I did that for 5 days so that seems like a #### ton of food to me. My ammonia was definitely 0.25ppm for at least a day but I haven't detected anything else.

The tank is cloudy and there are all these cloudy/milky white stringy strands everywhere. I believe some of this is due to a severe lack of flow. I am leaving for NYC for 6 days tomorrow so I haven't really cared about the tank's state since I've been trying to get my reef ready to handle my time away.

I will stop the MB7 dosing while I am gone in NYC (my house sitter is not a technical person...measuring #### included) so it will be easiest to just let the tank run for a few days. I hope the ammonia is readable either tomorrow before I leave or when I return next week, though I honestly expect neither.

Is the MB7 introducing bacteria that are capable of handling these nutrients faster than I am adding them?

I am working out a water change method on this tank...because I honestly haven't even considered how I'm going to do that yet. I believe I'll be using a 33g trash can to handle the fresh salt and doing large changes that way once a week. I plan on stocking this tank very heavily and feeding an outrageous amount. My little reef has done extremely well with the combination of overfeeding and changing water often.

-Dustin

Ordered my clean up crew and algaes for the refugium. I am really looking forward to seeing this thing being fully stocked.

Live aquaria has a special (super special, in fact) on Lyretail females for $14...so I may order a few Friday AM (so they get delivered Tuesday morning) if they have something else I want in stock so I can take advantage of such a good deal.

Archived