• Current T5 2x24 watt
  • Koralia 2
  • 200 watt heater
  • Everything controlled by a Reef Keeper Lite
  • Small amount of healthy live rock, new sand seeded with old
  • Assorted corals
  • 2x Sexy shrimp
  • 1x Cowrie

I recently transferred everything out of a stock Biocube 8 into a temporary 20 long while I build up my 40br again.

About 3 weeks out the cube:
DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

The huge wall hammer colony was something a friend held for me when I took my tank down about 6 months ago. That was the only thing that wasn't in the Biocube. I dumped everything in, topped off with salt water, and haven't touched it since besides topping up the RO. No cycle, not going to be one. Pretty sweet.

I actually kind of like the minimalist look of an 8 gallon tank's worth of live rock, although I have buckets of old rock in the shed. I sort of just want to leave it alone for now and see what happens.

Just corals, no fish (thanks to the maxi-mini nem), one cowrie, two sexy shrimp, and no snails or hermits.

This isn't my first tank, I've had many. I have all the equipment to build up my 40br again, I just need the time. This will do for now.

I'm thinking I want a possum wrasse in here as my first fish. I wonder what time of year they become available?

i have a cpr hob overflow and a return pump, i think once i add a fish or two ill set up a 10 gallon sump and start running my skimmer (reef octopus).

• 1 month later...
youincolor

Well it took two tries and about 4 hours total, but I have successfully modified my IKEA computer desk turned tank stand to accommodate a sump, and installed said sump!

I had to baby proof it, but that doesn't mean I had to paint it...

DSC_0169.jpg

New guts.

DSC_0170.jpg

Best thing on any tank I set up, ATO.

DSC_0171-1.jpg

ATO pump and jug.

DSC_0172-1.jpg

True gate valve to dial down the flow of water out of the tank to combat the dreaded slurp of an external overflow.

DSC_0173-1.jpg

Back of the tank. Another aqua lifter to keep siphon in the overflow and to restart in case of a power outage (which happens frequently enough around here...)

DSC_0174-1.jpg

Everything is still getting used to the extra flow.

DSC_0175.jpg

Anyway thats about it right now. I have nothing in the sump at the moment, I might grow macro, or put more rock in there to cure it for the next tank I have to set up. I don't want to run the skimmer in there unless I have to. I am dripping Brightwell Kalk+2 in the ATO to help keep levels in check. I am hoping that I can rely on kalk solely for this for a while...

youincolor

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! This is my build up back to reefing, I took about 6 months off after tearing down a 58 gallon, but once a Biocube snuck in the house it was all over. Now I have my old 40 drilled and ready to go once I have the time.

Beautiful hammer...one of my favorite corals.

Yeah me too. I've had that guy for years now, even when I took 6 months off a friend kept it for me. I'm really glad to still have it.

Looking great! I really like your sump setup.

Thanks, I was hoping to keep it clutter free and leave open options for what to do with it.

I love the minimalist look. Makes it look a lot bigger

That's the idea! I'm thinking about rescaping though, I have buckets full of prettier rocks I could use now that I can keep the cycled stuff in a sump.

• 7 months later...
nor_cal_nano

BUUUUMP! YOU OUT THERE? What happened to you dude?

Come back and revive that 40b. That was one of the best looking tanks on here.

Took me a minute to find one of your threads. I coulda swore your sn was Jtimberwolf. Lmao

• 1 year later...
youincolor

Resurrecting this thread from the dead (I hope)

Thanks nor_cal_nano, who apparently quit as abruptly as I did back in 2011. I had some major family problems that June and obviously took quite a hiatus from the website. Thing is though, the tank kept going, and I had just enough time and effort to keep it limping along.

I have put much more effort into it in the past year, and I think even with spending a minimal amount of money on livestock, and a minimal amount of time on it, it looks pretty good. Let me know what you think:

FTS

photo.jpg

Left

photo1.jpg

Right

photo2.jpg

Photos were quick shots with my iPhone 5, which looks about as good as my Nikon anyway. Bulbs are new ATI's, 1 Blue Plus and 1 Coral Plus. Everything is doing well, and I'm stoked I still have my massive anchor hammer coral. Going on about five or six years with that guy!

• 2 years later...

FYI just in the vein of closure, I sold this tank off and basically all my reefing stuff in May of 2014. I had moved with it, TWICE, and it never looked as good as it did in the photos above where it just sat growing coral for like two years, and I barely touched it.

I am back at it though with an antiquated Biocube 8 (in my signature), so maybe in a year or two I will have been dumb enough to start another 20L or something. :happydance:

Archived