ReefCleaners.org

Milkeeways JBJ 3 Gal Pico

Milkeeway

Welcome to my Pico Experiment!

First off I would like to thank everyone for your interest in my thread. I had the idea to put my CPR BAK PAK 2 on my Pico. Let's see what happens :)

Parts I have so far:

JBJ 3 Gallon Picotope

7 LED Par38 from RapidLED - New 4 color 17W Model.

CPR BAK PAK 2R w/ Accela Pump

3 1/2lb Fiji Cured Live Rock

1lb Marshall Island Live Rock - From Established Reef at LFS

6lb Carribean Live Sand - LFS only had 10lb bags, I poured too much.

Video of the CPR BakPak on my tank:

FTS

IMG_0566.jpg

Newest Addition - Yellow Clown Goby

IMG_0544.jpg

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

woah! probably better than my AC fuge lol. looking good, though imo, running the skimmer part isnt really necessary until after the cycle is complete.

woah! probably better than my AC fuge lol. looking good, though imo, running the skimmer part isnt really necessary until after the cycle is complete.

Thanks Newman that means a lot the past hour I have been reading the entire Pico thread by Jgpicodope009! I would totally shut down the skimmer but I'm 500 miles away from it at the moment and I left it on hah!

it shouldnt hurt the tank too much by running the skimmer during cycling. though when you get back you could shut if off for a few weeks, go get the CUC and see if you get a mini cycle. if not, everything did go according to plan.

Thanks for the input I hope to hear more from you and everyone else as well!

I'm very anxious to see if a cycle has started at all, I've been away from my tank for 5 days and have another 3 to go! When I get back I will post some pictures of the tank. The tank is being looked after and I'm assuming the only reason the water level isn't critical right now is because the BakPak has so much water in it!

I'm not usually away at all, but I'm sure there are several threads regarding ATO Systems and probably a few specifically for picos so before I go blasting you with questions I'll do some research! On the same note any information you'd like to share for me or the others that are following or will be is welcomed here!

Wow, that's crazy!

It'll be interesting to see how well that works on the Pico long term.

Thank you very much for the reply it's awesome seeing some veterans taking interest in my experiment :) I really appreciate everyone here at NanoReef! I've learned so much just reading through all your threads!

Looks very cool. I never thought about putting a skimmer a the tank lol. Can't wait to see some pics of when it is cleared. An ato is probably going to be my next addition. It's a pain to top off three times a day.

Thanks I really appreciate you stopping by and commenting! I will get pictures up Saturday-Sunday when I get home the threads a little boring until then unfortunately! I really look forward to all the advice everyone has to offer.

And I saw you asked about a cuc on another thread. I would suggest a couple snails and a couple hermit crabs. Not everyone like hermits cause they can kill snails but mine have been fine so far. I went with Nerite snails and they send more time on the glass than the rocks so I might have to pick up a couple ceriths. Email john at reefcleaners.org. he has a quick crew for jbj picos.

Well it sounds like a pair of Ceriths and a pair of Nerite snails would be a good start! I am planning on doing a Zoa Garden do the hermits mess with them ?

they shouldn't mess too much provided that you feed them well if they dont have algae to eat. hermits will also eat dried seaweed sheets. I'm partial to 1 hermit because personally i do not like to see them kill each other.

Mine haven't touched my zoas. Sexy shrimp are a different story. But a couple ceriths and nerites sounds fine. You will probably get some Hitchhiker cuc from frags and stuff. Oh and about posting pics from your phone. download the Photobucket app and upload your pics there and copy the image code and put that code in a post

Haha that's funny before I read your post I was thinking the same thing I just got the app and registered for photobucket! Let me try!

over skimming does exist. you're going to have to dose for just about everything and keep up with testing the water on a very regular basis. i wouldn't run that big of a skimmer on such a small water volume. thats just my opinion tho.

over skimming does exist. you're going to have to dose for just about everything and keep up with testing the water on a very regular basis. i wouldn't run that big of a skimmer on such a small water volume. thats just my opinion tho.

In regards to your post I did some research and found this

"Can you overskim a tank ? Well that depends on your definition. Technically you can't overskim because if there's no dissolved nutrients the skimmer will simply stop producing effluent now can it remove enough nutrients to the point were certain corals like LPS and softies and macro-algae be affected ? The answer is yes!" posted by Cheeks69 on ReefSanctuary

The solution for me is going to test it out running at the lowest setting possible to still be productive hopefully it works out or else I'm doing the ole AC70 Fuge mod

I like experiments lol. I'm interested to see how this goes. I have been playing around with the idea of possibly making or fonding a little Pico sized skimmer. I haven't necessarily needed one but I don't think a small one would hurt anything. I also think that an ato is needed for our size tanks. I made one that's really easy so if you have any questions just pm me or drop by my thread. Can't wait to see how this goes. Hopefully your tank doesnt blow up while you're gone lol.

I like experiments lol. I'm interested to see how this goes. I have been playing around with the idea of possibly making or fonding a little Pico sized skimmer. I haven't necessarily needed one but I don't think a small one would hurt anything. I also think that an ato is needed for our size tanks. I made one that's really easy so if you have any questions just pm me or drop by my thread. Can't wait to see how this goes. Hopefully your tank doesnt blow up while you're gone lol.

Thanks so much for your interest it's appreciated. I'm anxious to see it when I get back haha I hope it hasn't blown up either. I will definitely pm you about the ATO btw! The only thing concerning me right now is the over-skimming! Although at the same time I've always been one of those "heavy feeders" from what I've read people with oversized skimmers who over feed have less of a problem which was brought up by sephly in a previous post.

It's really easy to over feed in this size tank but t the same time it's very easy to over skim in this size tank. That's why I'm so interested to see how this goes. As for the ato I can send pics of the setup since I didn't really go over it on my thread.

Drift Monkey

Is the skimmer just moving water...or is it actually skimming? If it's just being used as a reservoir for extra flow and such...that's fine, but if it's going to be used to skim...it might not be such a good idea unless it's a purely SPS tank or something, softies and such like some nutrients in the water...

I wouldn't run the skimmer until your cycle as well...you'll need some sort of die off to induce a ammonia spike...

I agree with you 100%. Like I said before you and some of the other Pico owners are why I started so seeing you guys take an interest in my build is awesome! This will be a very active thread(at least on my part :) )

Hey DriftMonkey nice to see you here! My plan is to use the skimmer to move water as well as skim. I will not be using the skimmer during the cycle the video and pics were just to show it running. My plan was to do a Zoa garden what do you think?

Archived