20H Reef Tank: now with %100 more Peacock Mantis

paradox_of_reef

paradox_of_reef

5517156787_53276127b7_z.jpg

So here is my new tank

Aqueon 20 gallon high tank

Reef Octopus BH-1000 Skimmer

2 Koralia pumps

24"JBJ Trinity 4 Bulb T5 Fixture (Currently stock bulbs)

Aquaclear 30 filter with carbon and Cheato

Around 30 Ibs of live rock

20 Ibs live sand (fine)

Live stock:

1 Firefish

1 Purple Firefish

2 Turbo Snails

1 Red tuxedo Urchin

1 Male G. Ternatensis Mantis Shrimp named Abaddon

5573707159_e16bb81ac8_z.jpg

CUC:

Astrea snails

Tricolor hermit Crabs

Cerith snails

Dwarf Cerith snails

Nassarius Snails

Coral:

Mushroom

Hammer

Frogspawn

Leather (one unknown, one finger, and one toadstool)

Acan

Duncan

Two unknown Acropora type corals

Two pocilapora colonies

Candy Cane

Green Star Polyps

4 Species of Zoa's

And unfortunately blue clove polyps

Here are some Pictures

Candy cane

5517759698_12165e5df0_z.jpg

GSP, This colony has doubled in size since this pic was taken

5517755924_045037e296_z.jpg

Frogspawn, one of the heads broke in half during the move but its been getting better

5517161963_fdaf02336d_z.jpg

Hammer

5517754108_1415547144_z.jpg

Various corals! the hair algae has since been eaten

5516944087_e2da60331c_z.jpg

Leather

5516942617_bbdd9cc706_z.jpg

Everything here came from my other established tank with the exception of the sand which i switched from crushed aragonite which i now dislike. I have had a few algae and cyano problems since then but i know it is likely the result of the slightly rushed move i had. Between regular water changes, increased CUC, proper water params, and a protein skimmer i have mostly eliminated the pest algae. All these photos are about a month old and i will post new ones as i take them. I hope every one enjoys my tank. i know its not the best but i love it any advice/criticism/praise is appreciated

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
paradox_of_reef
Nice tank. Don't your purple and orange firefish fight?

Suprisingly They don't but I used to have three. The first one i got thought he was the king of everything and started a bunch of fights but he lost them all...

I was also worried about keeping them in an uncovered tank as they are notorious for jumping in but three months of ownership no fish have left the tank

paradox_of_reef

This coral isnt new but it wasnt featured in my last set of pics so here you go

5576878164_90ec27f0f1_z.jpg

5576876518_39bbaefe4d_z.jpg

More up to date pic of my aquarium enjoy

5576296281_a817284b50_z.jpg

paradox_of_reef

I finally vaccumed out the cyano in my sand bed (along with some very surprised snails). over all the tank looks a lot nicer but you'll hev to take my word for it because i left town for a few days and i forgot to take pictures before i left. Anyway i plan to do a lot of house keeping in my tank. i want to Frag a few of my corals and cement down a few loose frags that i have been waiting to put down for various reasons. Also Aquarium outfitters in athens has spiny star astrea snails and i want some ill be there later this week. :D

paradox_of_reef
Is your mantis a smasher or spearer?

Smasher.

G. Ternatensis

His name is Abaddon. This morning he Broke a two inch limpet off my turbo snail i'll have pictures when i get home later this week

paradox_of_reef

Here are Some pictures of Abaddon's Lunch the other day. This Limpet was about two inches long and stuck to my turbo snail

5593191695_9ee6a1129e_z.jpg

5593841048_1ccbc8ca1b_z.jpg

Also i Have some sort of white mushroom bud growing. Anyone seen anything anything like this before?

5593843404_01f8688972_z.jpg

paradox_of_reef

So i fragged my pocillopora off my large acro rock to trade the results for different coral. I've taken a few small pieces and glued them on a few old epoxy mistakes with hopes that they will encrust over the area i've attached them to.

5595534169_48bfe51dd7_z.jpg

I also made frags for a few friends in the area and i expect to trade them sometime with in the next week.

I'm also going to start farming pocillopora frags because they grow so fast.

irondragon013 made a very nice frag rack which i much appreciate Thanks Buddy!

5596117198_7bd3708ae6_z.jpg

I'm going to a fish store in athens GA tomorrow and i'm taking a few things to trade so i hope to come back with some more new coral!

More pics later

I like the tank that you have though I have to say I'm surprised at your combination of fish and a mantis. I would think that your mantis would try and attack your firefish and spook them into jumping out of the tank...or of course simply eating them, but if it's worked for three months then maybe they've got enough room.

Do you feed that mantis regularly or just sort of let him thin down your CUC till you buy more to replace it?

paradox_of_reef
I like the tank that you have though I have to say I'm surprised at your combination of fish and a mantis. I would think that your mantis would try and attack your firefish and spook them into jumping out of the tank...or of course simply eating them, but if it's worked for three months then maybe they've got enough room.

Do you feed that mantis regularly or just sort of let him thin down your CUC till you buy more to replace it?

He's not as aggressive as some other mantids that you hear horror stories about. i feed him raw shrimp every so often and he also takes out snails as he sees fit. I replenish the CUC every once in a while but i don't have a huge bio-load (2 fish in 20 gallons) so i dont have a huge amount of algae growth (aside from cyano problems). I have reason to believe that he's tried to grab the firefish (marks and scars and such) but so far he hasn't had fish for dinner.

Really this is like the tank of tempting fate. I have firefish without a cover, a mantis with fish in the same tank, and coral with a mantis known for breaking coral.

All i have to say about the subject is don't try this at home even with adult supervision.....

paradox_of_reef

5601909500_06fdbeab7e_z.jpg

Yesterday i went to aquarium outfitters in Athens GA and traded in a few corals and this is what i got. A green Bird's Nest Coral. I've wanted one of these for some time now. anyway new pics to come when i find a good place to put it down permanently.

paradox_of_reef
Dude clean your glass. Who else noticed the firefish acting tough in the background?

i did clean the glass :(

irondragon013
i did clean the glass :(

lol just messing with you. I'm to lazy to get that stuff the mag float won't most of the time

paradox_of_reef

Well i finally retrieved my glass scraper this afternoon so since then the gunk has been scraped away

paradox_of_reef

Update.

i'm almost out of snails. Abaddon seems to have eaten most of my dwarf ceriths. i've started feeding my coral again which i had not been doing because the tank itself was still relatively young. Since i have such a low bioload however i've decided to continue to feed my LPS on a weekly basis like i had been doing.

After getting so much value for some of my trade ins at Aquarium Outfitters my friend (irondragon013) and i have elected to start a joint frag tank with his spare tank and my (till now unused) Metal Halide fixture. So i'm going to make a bunch of pocillopora frags and green bird's nest frags and a few others that will be available for purchase or trade within a few months for those who are interested. I'll be starting a separate thread in the aquaculture section to document my progress. If anyone has any suggestions in regard to frag tanks and the operation there of feel free to chime in and let me know.

I'm meeting Daleo today to trade some coral and hopefully tomorrow i can have up new pictures since i haven't had a FTS since the beginning of the thread and a lot has changed.

paradox_of_reef

I got some new corals yesterday from Daleo and i'm looking forward to them growing in my tank i also cleaned up my sand bed a good bit. To those who have large fine sand beds that are spotless how do you do it? i really want a nice clean white sand. Anyway yesterday i finally got a few zoa colonies off of plugs and onto rock. i'll be posting pics of my new stock hopefully tomorrow.

Biology term of the day: Topoisomerase

paradox_of_reef

my cyano problem is finally subsiding which is great because it has been frustrating me for a while now. I moved my skimmer cup down about a half inch and its pulling a lot more gunk than before but its just as dark. aside from that my green birdsnest toppled onto my yellow no-name acro and about a quarter inch section dies so i opted to brake that small branch off just so it would look a little better

Biology term of the day: Spliceosome

paradox_of_reef

5622016772_5c56157078_z.jpg

Here is a new FTS I've added a few new corals lately that i have talked about previously on the thread. Anyway, i want to get a hold of a better camera but that's a story for another day.

Biology term of the day: Beta-Galactosidase

Archived