Top Shelf Aquatics

Rob's NanoCube 28

AFRobert568

AFRobert568

Here is my tank thread for the NanoCube 28. I purchased this tank and stand for 300, and it came with a $50 gift certificate for liveaquaria. I set this tank up on 03/14/11. Some new additions for this tank include a RKL, Phosban reactor, and an RO/DI setup. I hope I can keep the hair algae away this time.

I’m coming form a 4X24 watt T5, to a 150 MH. I have two egg crates to diffuse the light, and each a week I will remove one. Let me know what you think. I know there is no depth in my side views, but hopefully I will add some rock to create a “lagoon” in the center. I have some rock I will just have to cycle it.

Livestock:

Clownfish

Yellow watchman goby

Pistol shrimp

Crocea clam (I had do cut him off a rock, so I’m a little nervous to see if he makes is. How long until I know if I killed him. He is out today. )

Future plans

6 Line

Derasa Clam

Purple dottyback

So here are some pictures of the setup.

P1080705.jpg

P1080707.jpg

P1080715.jpg

Let there be moonlight! I think it’s too much.

The legs are for the metal halide heat.

P1080718.jpg

P1080719.jpg

AFRobert568

Here are some day photos. I tested the water five days after the transition and the nitrates were at 0. I hope I will avoid a mini cycle. In two weeks there will be a local frag swap, so I hope to get some good pieces. I already have five ricordias, but I will need a lot more to make a cool ric garden.

I think it must be said that the idea for placing legs on the hood to keep my tank cool came from Coralkeeper.

P1080721.jpg

P1080724.jpg

P1080726.jpg

Its looking good!! Have you had any heat issues? I had some on mine with the MHs but i didnt raise mine with the legs. They look great!!

AFRobert568

Thanks for the nice comments.

As far as the heat goes, I don’t think it is that bad. My house is mid 60’s right now, so I don’t think I have a problem yet. I did place my hand in-between the light and the water but it was just warm. The fans in the hood do help. I believe in the summer I will be able to keep it cool with a fan, which I will run off a reef keeper. I know heat is always an issue for aquariums with hoods. My dad has a BioCube and he is always battling heat during the summer.

What are you using for your moonlight? And what king of legs are you using to hold your hood up? Im battling heat issues right now...Thank

AFRobert568

The legs are the coralife legs. Go to coral keeper and he has a picture of the packaging. His legs are black, so the last two # of the model number might be different. I got the clear legs from marine depot or Dr. F&S because the black ones were discontinued. You will have to drill it into the hood by taking off the shield and screwing them in. If you need more detail let me know.

The moonlights are the stock ones that come with the hood. They might seem brighter because it is elevated, so I have more spill out. Not only raising the hood will help with heat, but a fan will promote evaporation.

AFRobert568

Last weekend the LFS had a sale and I picked up the Derasa for $25. I couldn’t pass that up. I also got a Hawkins Blue Echinata for $15. I hope Hawkins survives. He will be the first acro I have attempted.

P1080731.jpg

• 2 months later...
AFRobert568

After taxes it was that amount. I guess they have been on sale for several weeks now. I assume people who frequent petco aren't familiar with this product. The employee didn't really know about it.

• 2 months later...

It has been awhile since I updated this, so here is what’s new. I installed a rapid led 24 DIY led build. I have also scored some new ding dangs, magicians, and some nice acropora. I also got a bleached rainbow monti that is coloring up nicely.

I have no idea how to take a pic with the LEDs because they look too blue, so I turned down the blues for some of the pics.

P1080820.jpg

P1080815.jpg

P1080823.jpg

P1080822.jpg

Archived