squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

In the beginning, there was glass

DSC04175.jpg

Tank Specs

• CAD Lights 40g Artisan.
  • 10mm starfire 'quality' glass.
  • 36" x 16" x 16"
  • Rimless, braceless, frameless, whatever you wanna call it!
  • 3/4'' dual Loc-Line returns
  • 1" Hoffer gurgle buster drain
  • Red BioTek Marine Sch 40 PVC and white fittings
  • Check valve on return, gate valve on drain, and white sch 40 unions throughout
  • Custom Stand 48" x 21" x 36" with isolated electronics cabinet on the side
  • Eshopps 3rd Gen ADV-200 sump in white

768C1BDC-0CA1-40CB-BEDE-361E2D629316.jpg

Purification

• Spectrapure 5 stage MaxCap 90 gpd RO/DI

Controller, Automation, and Monitoring

• 5FB82122-00C5-48C4-9D9A-79DB06368414.jpg
  • Neptune Systems Apex Aqua Controller
  • Lab Grade pH Probe
  • Lab Grade Temp Probe
  • Lab Grade ORP Probe
  • Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 ATO
  • DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System by Neptune

Lighting

• E8A1CB19-4071-463F-97FF-1CBA0BF6EF9D.jpg
  • Aqua Illumination Prime in white x 2 with Tank Mount
  • Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue with Gooseneck Mount, controlled by Apex

Flow

• EcoTech Marine VorTech MP10wQD x2
  • Reef Octopus RODC 3500 Controllable Return Pump 956gph max

Filtration

• DD58DE0B-4BA3-474D-A3F9-2E8C2282B578.jpg
  • Vertex Omega 130 Skimmer
  • BRS Media Reactors x 3 (carbon, gfo, bio pellets)

Heating and Cooling

• 2DC831C1-A7C4-4A6E-99C2-A24AE3184D6A_1.j
  • Finnex 350w Titanium heater
  • 2x80mm case fans with red cold cathode lights controlled by apex
  • 2x60mm case fans in the command center

Aquascpape

• BRS Pukani dry rock 15lb
    • CaribSea Oolitic Select 30lb sand
    • CaribSea Fiji Pink 15lb sifted

Soon to Come

• 2 more DOS systems
  • DOS Dosing and Fluid Metering System by Neptune x2
  • Apex salinity module
  • Vertex 1.5l Zeo reactor

All of the soon to come is subject to change as my ideas change on how to go about this whole thing. So input on my choices is welcome!

Story

This will be the rebirth of what I have always considered to be my dream nano tank, this time taking care to do things right the first time. I will be slowly progressing the build making sure that things are done with care to both function and form. I want the tank and sump to look just as nice as the display. I also need this reef to work better with my much more busy schedule and will need to automate more than I ever have had a need to. In the past I have been rushed in my builds eager to get wet, and my tanks have suffered severe design flaws as a result. I believe I have learned my lesson this time and intend to pace my self. Since the 16 Bow TOTM I have not been able to replicate its success or beauty I keep striving to reattain that, hopefully this time I will get it right. After loosing basically all my livestock due to several catastrophes, sump crack, several moves, temp, and salinity swings and general neglect after loosing a several year long battle to byropsis, red bugs, and nudibranchs to name a few some where along the line I lost my love of reefing. After almost 5 years of reefing funk trying to regain interest into a broken system, revisiting old methods that clearly don't work with my new schedule, I just couldn't love it any more. I almost despised my IM 38, my wonderful wife limped it along hoping I would get my mojo back. My good friend and fellow reefer poked and prodded me for a few years trying to get me back into the hobby, eventually doing a trade for a spare RO/DI to build my stand. I came home on the day of my anniversary and he had left it in our living room as a happy anniversary and belated wedding gift. It sparked something in me to dig the CAD out of the garage and try again, all part of his ploy I'm sure. With the blessing of my wife, despite what our bank account would look like after I was done, she let me buy up all the equipment to get started. Spouses to reefers must be patient people, don't know if I could do it with out her being so supportive. A huge thank you is owed to all my friends, family, and the community here at N-R, I couldn't have ever done it with out any of you. Here is to years of success and happy reefing trails to come.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg

It's beautiful! Congrats!!!!!

So are you transferring the bow or starting from scratch?

P.S. so this is why you haven't been around lately :)

squirrelieygrrrl

yay! thank you gena!

i will be transferring the bow eventually. ever since my mini crash things have just not been the same. maintaining it has been a struggle at best. seems like no matter what i do i cant seem to dial down what ever the problem is. though it will probably take me at least two months before the transfer happens. i need to do some serious equip collection first.

after the inital cost of the tank, im tapped. so ill have to do some saving.

mhmmm ive been hiding with my head in the cad. :P

space prep and initial pictures

i will be constructing a tray set up for the stand and tank to rest on. made from 3/4" ply, framed out with 1x4 pine. lined with a 5mil vinyl shower liner. this is going to be my fail safe if i have a failure with either my overflow or return pump. i will have a series of float switches hooked up to the apex l, so it will notify me via text if there is a failure. the tray is hard to explain in terms of dimensions, so once i begin the build phase i will document what is going to be done.

in part the reason im building this tray is due to the construction of my house. i am on a pier and post foundation, primarily supported by i beams and steel cantilevers. the perimeter 24'' of my house is free floating on those cantilevers. they are on an 8' span. where the tank will sit, half of it will lay right in between two cantilevers. with nothing underneath connecting to the ground. i will also be supporting the floor joists with a 4x4 set on a pier block to assist in supporting some of the load. the tank should weigh approx 650lbs once it is full. so structural integrity is definitely a concern. thankfully my dad is an engineer by trade and he has helped me come up with a decent plan to help support the tank and not compromise the construction of the house.

thats about all ive come up with for plans thus far. no ideas on stocking other than sps dominant. possibly a wrasse of some sort. vague i know. im more consumed by the build phase than stocking atm.

any input is welcome and needed! ive never set up a tank of this caliber before. so id rather get it right the first time around.

DSC04149.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04164.jpg

DSC04161.jpg

ill take some better shots later. i was having a hard time shooting the tank with the morning sun shining through the opposite window from where the tank is in my house. dunno if you all can read the instructions to the skimmer, but i found them a little amusing. the wording is odd at best.

thats all for now!

squirrelieygrrrl

thanks CB

the nac3+ is what came stock with the tank. do you think it wont be enough? i guess at some point ill probably upgrade it any way.

I really, REALLY wanted one of these... but after hearing the problems CAD has had with their shipping and customer service lately, I just couldn't do it. Went for a RSM 130D instead... but congratulations to you, looking forward to watching this build progress!!!

squirrelieygrrrl
I really, REALLY wanted one of these... but after hearing the problems CAD has had with their shipping and customer service lately, I just couldn't do it. Went for a RSM 130D instead... but congratulations to you, looking forward to watching this build progress!!!

ya know,

i thought it was really odd that there were people complaining about CAD and communication probs. Eddie and i were always in contact, i always managed to reach him by phone and if not he returned my calls reasonably soon. really i think those who were having probs just werent aggressive enough in their efforts to communicate. an email is one thing, but there is nothing like a phone call. Eddie even went to the point of offering to walk me through the set up over the phone.

in regards to the shipping he sent mine freight, so it arrived fine. i only had a few hiccups with shipping, it took a couple of days before i got my tracking. though it was over the weekend, so i can kind of understand. the freight company screwed up and their driver was 3 1/2 hours late for their 'scheduled' delivery appointment. which made me late for work, and then the driver wanted to leave it in the street rather than bring it in the house. that really pissed me off, but not eddies fault.

he did forget to put the return pump in the tank, but thats no biggie either cuz im not ready to set it up just yet any way. Eddie did say he would ship one out asap.

thanks for the compliment. good luck on your rsm! sorry i went into a ramble. i just didnt get why there was so many negative comments on CAD. lol.

Congratulations!!! I love it!!!!

Now fill it up!!!! :P

thanks kim!

i know!!! its killin me having this tank sit here empty in my living room. KILLIN ME! :lol:

Ah ha! this is why you've been M.I.A! I'm subscribing...

lol!

sorry blue. new tanks are distracting! i did get your pm, and havnt responded yet cuz i suck. i think what you have is a chiton.

I know it's killing you. Taking your time is the key to a Happy tank. I have that 20L sitting empty still. I bought it in May also so it's almost a year of emptyness LOL

Have Fun with your build

squirrelieygrrrl
I know it's killing you. Taking your time is the key to a Happy tank. I have that 20L sitting empty still. I bought it in May also so it's almost a year of emptyness LOL

Have Fun with your build

lulz

oh i will kim. mostly cuz of money, i only have so much to dump into the tank. the build is definitely much more fun than i would have thought.

though i definitely hope it dosnt take me a year!

wow! you're going all out with this one! I'm excited! I'll definitely be following the progression.

lol. thanks chy! i definitely went from one end of the spectrum to the other. kiss to complicated. im ready to play with the big boys now.

oooooooo very nice...cant wait to see it filled up.

thanks hype! you and me both buddy!

in other news,

got my sand, salt and heater ordered. at some point next week im going to go down to my lfs and see if they can get me more Totoka lr, so far this kind is my favorite. lots of spots to put frags and its pretty light for its size. this time im not gonna go so rock crazy either. more minimalistic.

i also finally have the space mostly prepped. just waiting on the corner to dry out from my leaky skimmer. got the dehumidifier on full blast 24/7 till its all dry. we got the 3/4 ply cut and i painted the edges so as soon as the floor dries ill be able to lay it, frame it, and line it. i also removed the carpet where the ply is going to lay, mostly so when i am ready for new carpeting i wont have to move the tank to do it.

im tempted to try and paint the vinyl sheeting with black matte fusion so it isnt so unsightly. im hoping that it will take the paint and not chemically react poorly. gonna have to do a test strip and see how that goes. honestly though i dunno if its necessary. its hardly visible from the room unless your over by the tank.

DSC04199.jpg

shot of the plywood base and da woofie. cuz shes so cute!

This is going to be stellar! Totm before water ever even touches it.

lulz! easy there killer, one thing at a time! ;)

For the record, not sure why CAD calls it a 40 long, it's more of a "breeder" dimensions tank. Me and Maria have the only 40 longs I've seen on here, 48x12x16

squirrelieygrrrl

im aware,

i think its to differentiate it from the 39g cubeish. i had considered leaving the long part out of the title... dunno, maybe i should take it out. it could be misleading to some one who isnt familiar with tank dimensions.

does "squirrels 40g artisan cad" sound better?

gawd i struggle with names and titles. thats why my dog is named woof, and the cat is named kitty. cuz im so original like that. :P

squirrelieygrrrl
lol don't worry about it, I'm just anal that way haha

lulz

k. im such a dork.

Very clean setup, and I love the husky. Great stuff!

thanks altweb!

isnt she cute!? shes 3/4 wolf (1/2 timber and 1/4 red) and 1/4 alaskan malamute. she was the runt. which is probably why most people think shes a husky.

squirrelieygrrrl

im having a dilemma with lighting.

i cant decide what i want to use. how does 1 250w coralife pendant, and two AI SOL blues on either side sound? also i might add some evil led spots for highlighting certain corals. overkill? i do want the lights to be high enough over the tank. approx 1ft so it dosnt inhibit the viewing of the tank.

any input? other ideas? t5's? 2 150w coralife pendants and one AI SOL?

holy poop-smack, SICK tank! All that equipment is top notch!

As far as lighting, the 36" will give you options. I've had T5, MH, and LED in my life and the long nature of the tank would pretty much exclude a single 250. I would go with 2-250's or a nice 6-8 Bulb T5. With my 60g, the ATI T5 lights every single square inch of the tank, and I dont have any heat issues as with a 250w or 400w...just my .02

squirrelieygrrrl

lulz! thanks hun,

but youre not supposed to add options! youre suppose to help me eliminate ones! the AI SOL is a 2b:1w array. (if i remember correctly. so technically the mh would be the supplement to the leds.

i had considered t5's. but that kind of kabashes my whole japanese inspired spot lit lighting idea. hence my thoughts on playing around with different fixtures. i seem to have a solid plan for every thing else for the tank except for lighting.

ive been doing rounds with options and still cant seem to narrow it down. my other thought was to custom make a 250w halide with a much larger reflector to spread the light more.

squirrelieygrrrl

err.

guess cuz im an old fart and i dont entirely trust leds. lulz. i dont really care so much about the power. my electric bill right now is only like 40 bucks a month. so no biggie there, and if i have to replace a breaker thats an easy enough fix. i think the outlets are 15a atm.

Archived