Coral Vue Hydros

Gerber's 30G Frag Tank

Gerber77

Picked this tank up last night, its still in the back of my truck. It needs a good cleaning but will be a perfect tank for what I'm looking to do.

Tank: 30g Acrylic 24" X 24" X 12"

Lighting: Current USA 4 X 24W HO T5

Bulbs: ATI Purple Plus, (2) Blue Plus, AquaBlue Special

Skimmer: CPR Backpack w/ Rio 600

Overflow/Sump: HOB Overflow unsure on sump size

Pump/Powerhead: Koralia 1 and 2 will upgrade to Vortech MP10

These pics are from the original owner:

ft2.jpg

ft3.jpg

ft1.jpg

ft4.jpg

ft5.jpg

Im thinking I am going to go with a 20 gallon High sump and I have a brand new Odyssea Water Pump that I won in a raffle. Its 540 gph, along with the koralias I should have about 1500 gph of flow. Thats 50 times turnover. What do you think?

I have heard the same as well. I just remembered it was in the closet so I figured I might just try it. What do you think about the 20H sump?

The light is fine, especially with those bulbs. Be wary of the age of the bulb though.

I would definitely silicone in 2 glass pieces to create a corner overflow and drill the aquarium to hook it up to your sump.

That chiller seems to be very large and might be overkill for your area depending on air conditioning and room temperature but I don't know if it was included in your purchase.

The one thing I would do is fix that bottom rim. It looks like it only goes halfway and that is definitely not that safe in the long run. Either remove it or redo it.

It also overhangs the stand but building a 2x4 stand for a 24"x24" footprint with some plywood cladding and trim is really quite easy, inexpensive, and will provide a nice solid base.

Those powerheads are fine for the aquarium and the return pump should be ok. Just be wary of a cheap return pump as they are often difficult to restart and if they shut off, it will isolate your heater from your aquarium.

Lastly, that CPR skimmer is not very good and will probably make you want to tear out your hair at several points during its lifetime.

Thank you for the advice Yeast! The bulbs will be brand new. I am building a new stand for the tank and I dont have the chiller. Those pictures are from the original owner. I am probably going to ditch the CPR and upgrade. I do like the Sicce Syncra pumps, I may get one of those. I am going to water test the tank and do some repairs to it if need be. Its still very early in the planning stage and I got such a great deal on the tank that I wouldnt care if I had to toss the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I picked it up from him last month. It was a great deal. Traded a few frags for it. Im not sure if I will have it exactly the way he set it up with the overflow.

I was definitely surprised it was still available. It needed some heavy cleaning but all I gave him was a single polyp of nightmares, 3 pol candy apple reds, 5 pol jokers, 3 pol sunny d's and some green zoas.

Archived