ReefCleaners.org

My Sexy LED Birthday Pico!

brandolando4

Hey guys, guess what i got for my birthday, a fluval spec!!The thing is tiny, i was going to make it a planted tank but decided that was lame. So now im hoping it will be a little reef. Hoping is the key word... lol

I was also thinking about doing a dwarf sea horse tank, but after research found out that those little dudes are a PITA, so ive decided to just do some sexy shrimp and some small fish.

I dont know any mods to make on this tank. the filter chamber is pretty ghetto. Does anyone know where you can get a custom media basket made. Stevie make one for my tank PLEASE.

anyway here are some pictures. Everything is stock, and the heater is a cheap walmart one.

1 1/2 fiji LR

2 lbs black arag alive sand.

i want to but upgrade light to par 30 or par 38. Which is better, and should i go with the evil ones on nano customs??

i dont understand electrical things in the slightest so any help with this would be appreciated!!

NEW FTS!!! 3/27/2011

photo3-4.jpg

NEW FTS!!! 3/20/2011

photo-1.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i havent looked at mini maxi at all.. are they nice?? easy?? Does anyone know any mode i could do with this tank?? please??

will the mini maxi?normal maxi eat/sting any coral? Are maxi nems easier then bubble tip nems

Any other good suggestions?

i havent looked at mini maxi at all.. are they nice?? easy?? Does anyone know any mode i could do with this tank?? please??

You have looked at one we have it at the store on the PVC . For better flow I think you can mod out the pump with a 404. As for the medea basket I will be setting this tank up my self in about month and plan to build one for my own use.

mini maxi's are cool but they multiply alot. I'd say get one nice colored regular maxi anemone and sexy shrimp.

Maxis don't multiply. You have to cut them. Mini minis do multiply on their own though.

will the mini maxi?normal maxi eat/sting any coral? Are maxi nems easier then bubble tip nems

Any other good suggestions?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235118

thanks patrick, yah i plan on doing it. i want to come back and buy one more little piece of lr tomorrow to put on top of the main platform.

the rock work is like that because my puddy i have is absolutly terrible, i need stuff that actually works, does the stuff you guys sell work??

i havent looked at mini maxi at all.. are they nice?? easy??

Very nice! Amazing colors, easy to take care of, don't need a ton of light :) They are also easy to propagate, the only thing is that they sometimes eat small fish/inverts

mini maxi's are cool but they multiply alot. I'd say get one nice colored regular maxi anemone and sexy shrimp.

I think you're thinking of mini minis, they stay smaller and multiply, while mini maxis don't split

Maxis don't multiply. You have to cut them. Mini minis do multiply on their own though.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235118

Lol nvm, Lalani beat me to it :)

i want, lots of softies, and some lps, i already know the crappy leds on top wont support much more then some zoas and mushrooms.

Basically i dont want to be held back from anything based on lighting. also can you suggest spectrum as well 12k or 20k???

thanks

spectrum is up to what you like to see as the color of your tank. i read somewhere that the closer you are to 10,000 the better for good coral growth, but of course coral will grow fine in other, higher spectrums up to a point. idk how much the 10,000 bit is true, IMO i prefer 12,000K light to the more purple one, but at least 1 MH brand bulb is 20,000K but looks as crisp as 10,000K, without the purple.

Well a PAR 38 would be nice, although you would have to hang it pretty far from the tank, depending on the optics

I've always thought the 12k looked nice but some people prefer more blue, it depends on want you want. If you get a 20k PAR 38 it's going to look like super actinic all the time (with the corals glowing, but idk if you want that much blue)

ok so, so the higher spectrums are jus personal preference good to knew. i could care less about price, i would rather have quality, who makes a better bulb, nanotuners or rapid led?

It's pretty your preference on the color.

I think nanotuners' PAR 38 only comes in 40 degree optics now, which I think would be too tight for you tank, it would bleach eveything.

I'm looking at Rapid's site right now...it seems they have a 5 LED PAR 38 bulb and a 7 LED PAR 38 bulb. The 7LED one isn't available in 80* optics until early to mid March, hmm do you mind waiting?

These both seem to be run at a bit lower power than evil's from nanotuners, but in your set up I don't think it should be a problem. Do you have a tight budget?

im looking to spend no more then 90 dollars... its my birthday soon so money isn't that big of a deal. and yes i can wait till mid march thats when i get paid next so thats when i was going to get it. So that works perfectly.

So what should i get? Thanks yoshi i really appreciate this.

im looking to spend no more then 90 dollars... its my birthday soon so money isn't that big of a deal. and yes i can wait till mid march thats when i get paid next so thats when i was going to get it. So that works perfectly.

So what should i get? Thanks yoshi i really appreciate this.

I really don't think you need the 7LED bulb, especially if you're just going to keep softies and LPS. I would go for the 5 LED bulb, 80 degree optics. It's cheaper and a nice looking bulb :)

Np :happy:

The rapid led one, right??

ok, just curious tho what, can you direct me to or explain to me in laymans terms what par and optics are??

ive been looking and i dont get it.

thanks

not sure about par, it has something to do with the amount of spotlighting and light intensity/penetration(just google it), but the optics is simple. the higher the angle the more wide the light beam is. so 80degree is fairly wide and good. an angle thats less is more narrow, can penetrate more in a deeper tank and causes the light to get more intense in the area, especially if your tank is shallow. thus for a shallow tank you dont want a narrow optic degree rating. for a very shallow tank like most picos, no optics at all is often best, but 80 degree seems to be the least that those par lamps give you.

I got 80 degree optics with the purchase of my Cree LEDs for my light build, but i dont use the optics lenses because i feel no optics is just fine for a shallow tank like my JBJ.

@ clams: if you know what you are doing, you could theoretically keep younger specimens in a pico, but of course they all grow out of a 2.5 gal. the clams of choice should be maxima or crocea, both get bigger than necessary, and other species can be attempted but not for long of course. depending on your care they should last around a year but maybe less, then moved.

Archived