Coral Vue Hydros

Marineland Pro Stealth Heater Volunatry Recall

jcieutat

I just got this email from Petsmart.

February 11, 2011

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity

2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes

3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danthenewreefman

I bought my 250 from their. I've had it replaced 3 times in 2010 by marineland after it kept failing a different way each time. Wonder if I should be concerned too? great.

They removed them from their website, I looked em up yesterday and they were there.

All the posts I read recently said they were pretty good.

danthenewreefman
They removed them from their website, I looked em up yesterday and they were there.

All the posts I read recently said they were pretty good.

no way they're not good. Just not really any better options out there. all heaters suck. i hear jager are the best most reliable recently.

On christmas day my sister had a 250w stealth pro literally blow up in her setup. Apparently the top seals of certain batches leak, which lets water down into the bottom around the heating element which then degrades all the metal stuff until the steam pressure eventually causes the plastic case to fail, spewing nasty black water all over the place. She lost quite a bit of livestock, and if she hadn't been there to take immediate actions I think it would likely have been much worse.

Just received this email from Petsmart.

February 11, 2011 

Dear Valued PetSmart Pet Parent,

Marineland has issued a voluntary withdrawal of the Stealth PRO Submersible Heater (100, 200 and 250 watt). The product is being withdrawn due to a quality issue.

If you have this product, please stop using it immediately and take the following steps:

1. Unplug the heater from the wall to stop the flow of electricity

2. Let the heater cool for 15 minutes

3. Remove the heater from the tank

Please bring the product to your closest PetSmart for a full refund or exchange. Replace the product with a comparable heater as soon as possible to maintain the temperature of your aquarium. A PetSmart store associate can help you select the right heater for your aquatic environment.

If you have questions about this withdrawal, please call Marineland Customer Service at 800-526-0650 or 800-432-6986.

At PetSmart, we are concerned pet parents, too. We will continue to do everything we can to help you and your pet during this time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Gonzalez

Vice President, Brand and Customer Marketing

Please do not reply to this email as we are not able to respond to messages sent to this address. You can find answers to your questions or contact us through our Customer Service pages.

PetSmart, Inc., Attn: Customer Service, 1435 International Drive, Eau Claire, WI 54701.

© 2011 PetSmart Store Support Group, Inc./PetSmart, Inc. All rights reserved. PETSMART & Bouncing Ball Designs, PETSMART.COM, PETSMART CHARITIES, PETPERKS, PAWSPECTIVES & Designs are registered trademarks of PetSmart. PetSmart disclaims any proprietary interest in intellectual property

no way they're not good. Just not really any better options out there. all heaters suck. i hear jager are the best most reliable recently.

I don't know I am having issues with my Jaegar which is why I went to the stealths. The temp on the jaegar jumps all over the place.

I also thought that the new stealths with the LEDs on the top have been a bit more reliable.

I had a 50 watt fail a few months ago, I have 1x 50w, 2x100w and a 250w to replace now!

Pain in the ***. What are people buying for completely submersible heaters?

What are people buying for completely submersible heaters?
I used to like the Stealth heaters before they became the Stealth Pro. It looks more robust, but I haven't been happy with their thermostats (I've never had one explode or crack). If you have a controller, you can get a Finnex Delux Titanium Heating Tube. I've been happy with mine. I think this is the way I'm going in the future.

Shyte - I never would have known if I didn't happen onto this thread - no contact from anybody at Petsmart or Marineland. I just got the 100W a couple of weeks ago. :angry:

Thanx!!

OClownsandNanos

They were having problems with the Pro over a year ago, a little after it first came out. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to do a recall. After reading about some of the blowups, I went with the Rena SmartHeater instead. A bit pricey, but I've had it over a year so far and it's been extremely stable at 79 degrees for me the whole time. I'm considering replacing it within the next six months with another Rena just in case, but so far (knock on wood) it's been everything I've wanted in a heater: submersible, sleek, black, and stable.

I brought mine back today to Petsmart. They had already removed the three in question from the shelf. They returned it with no questions asked. I needed a heater so went with an Aqueon heater. Since my RKL controls it, I am going to give it a try.

wth! what about the 50 watts? It can barely keep my temperature up!!

i called and they close on weekends -_-

Hey dan if you got the receipt, take it back to the store, otherwise call marineland. I email them and it took a couple of weeks to reply then when i called the lady told me that they were having problem with the unit, When i asked if it was a particular batch she told me it was the whole series. That means every single STEALTH PRO might fail sooner or later. I'm returning mine tomorrow.

Hey dan if you got the receipt, take it back to the store, otherwise call marineland. I email them and it took a couple of weeks to reply then when i called the lady told me that they were having problem with the unit, When i asked if it was a particular batch she told me it was the whole series. That means every single STEALTH PRO might fail sooner or later. I'm returning mine tomorrow.

it's such a hassle :angry: . i dont have the receipt.

what is marineland going to do about the situation if i call them? give me a check for the heater so i could buy a new one? i sure hope that i dont have to send it back... otherwise im heaterless because i cant spend money on a another heater right now.

did you guys need your receipt when you went to petsmart? and what's the best alternative heater they have?

The LED light on my marineland pro keeps changing from red to green constantly. :o

it's such a hassle :angry: . i dont have the receipt.

what is marineland going to do about the situation if i call them? give me a check for the heater so i could buy a new one? i sure hope that i dont have to send it back... otherwise im heaterless because i cant spend money on a another heater right now.

did you guys need your receipt when you went to petsmart? and what's the best alternative heater they have?

The LED light on my marineland pro keeps changing from red to green constantly. :o

+1 .... I have a couple and don't have receipts for them...Taking them out of use immediately...

You don't need the receipt. I work at petsmart and took my three back today with no receipt... Aparently someone in New Jersey got pretty seriously injured by one which has sparked this recall.

You don't need the receipt. I work at petsmart and took my three back today with no receipt... Aparently someone in New Jersey got pretty seriously injured by one which has sparked this recall.

Just take them back and say: "Hey I want xx.xx for these?"

I have at least 3 laying around... Sweet!!

We will give you what we were selling them for just before the recall. I cant remember how much the twos maller ones in question were worth, but my 250w heaters were 39.99 a piece.

Archived