Innovative Marine Aquariums

SteveG's ADA 45F 4.6g Bookshelf

partyinyourhonor

partyinyourhonor

FTS day 3, re-arranged LR... swapped rubble pile with larger piece. I think it looks better, with more potential.

6a60cfa2.jpg

Up and running... FTS... day 2.

4ba4d82e.jpg

Here is the original first post:

This is a proposal of sorts. I am starting a new aquarium for my office and want to make sure

I start it off right. So your advice/suggestions/opinions are welcome.

I have ordered an ADA 45-F 4.6g, bookshelf style aquarium, a VorTech MP 10es, and a Current Nova Extreme T5 (50/50) which fits the 18" tank perfect.

I am going for a wabi-sabi style arrangement. My aim is to keep it clean, simple and aesthetically pleasing. I spend most of my day locked in my office writing a PhD dissertation and I am hoping the aquarium will be relaxing and stress relieving.

According to wikipedia:

"Wabi-sabi represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent and incomplete". It is a concept derived from the Buddhist assertion of the Three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō). Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity, simplicity, modesty, intimacy and the suggestion of natural processes."

Here is an example:

010233.jpg

To achieve this kind of simplicity, when I aquascape I plan on employing the golden ratio (i.e. two smaller piece of live rock with equal a third larger piece). I am thinking like this:

design003.jpg

Coral ideas:

-Different types of coral on each of the three islands

SPS, LPS, Soft coral

-3 zoa/paly colonies maybe by color

-Soft coral forrest

Fish ideas:

-Small fish that school

-Cardinals?

-3 chromis?

I also plan on running an Aquaclear 50 with the

heater submerged in it.

Any suggestions for substrate?

Well, what do you think?

I should have the tank cycling by the end of the week.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think three chromis would be a lot and don't they get pretty big? Not a schooling fish per say, but what about a rusty goby or two... Interesting ideal and I LOT of flow with the mp10. Look forward tO seeing this built.

partyinyourhonor

Thanks, rehype...

Latteslave, I agree with you on the chromis... the rusty looks cool...

how about a Hector's Goby?

partyinyourhonor

Just realized that fish need to be able to get by on primarily dry food, with only occasional feedings of frozen food (maybe once per week) . I don't have a freezer in my office.

I think I am going to keep it two one, maybe two fish max... Hector's goby is the front runner... maybe a orange lined cardinalfish... still looking for suggestions....

partyinyourhonor

My secretary called me this morning and said that 3 packages had arrived... I assumed it was the ADA aquarium, an MP10, and the light. So I stopped on my way in and purchased live rock, r/o water, cheato, sand, etc. Got to the office to discover that the aquarium had not been delivered, and that the light was packed in two boxes (the bulbs packed separate from the fixture. So I am waiting on delivery from Aqua Forest Aquarium... actually, from UPS... It was supposed to be here yesterday... Now UPS tracking says Monday...

7316d0eb.jpg

nova extreme and the proposed site of the aquarium

ce924659.jpg

Light. I plan on adding led's as well.

1b1b7782.jpg

MP10 es

b6dcbbcc.jpg

Here is the sand I am planning on using. Caribsea... I have never used it, but have heard good things... well see.

49daa21c.jpg

three pieces of man made LR with some rubble for the AC50 refugium.

partyinyourhonor

Just set up the aquarium. The pictures speak for themselves. I am trying to keep it simple. I will be tweeking a few things over the next week, but here is the initial set up. Please, any recommendations would be helpful.

85dd5e97.jpg

FTS 1

cc16171f.jpg

Aquascape. I am thinking of changing out the small rock on right with something a bit bigger. Also, flip the current aquascape (i.e. right would go on left, left to right)

930cb2cc.jpg

FTS. Not exactly sure on the vortech placement. I am also thinking if I should stick with a clear back or maybe go with black

87b176de.jpg

View from my desk

bd4ac140.jpg

Make-shift Aquaclear 50 refugium. There is some cheato beneath the sponge which I will be removing tomorrow once some of the solid matter is out of the water

I think it looks great! It might help to flip the aquascape so you have the bigger rocks away from the MP10 that way when you put corals on it they're not getting blasted. And I prefer to not paint the background but that's really your choice ;) keep up the good work.

partyinyourhonor

any suggestions on fish? ones that don't jump? I was thinking hector's goby, but I just read that they will blow the joint when given a chance.

partyinyourhonor

Everything is up and running... no major issues. Evaporation is looking like it is going to be a problem. 1/4" of water evaporated in less than 24 hours… Which is too much considering that the aquarium is in my office and will be not be tended to over weekends, long weekends, etc. So I am thinking of having a glass/acrylic top made… which a should have made a template for before adding water... but no biggie.

Adding some crushed live rock to the AC50. Hopefully, early next week I will be adding CUC.

I think it looks great! It might help to flip the aquascape so you have the bigger rocks away from the MP10 that way when you put corals on it they're not getting blasted. And I prefer to not paint the background but that's really your choice ;) keep up the good work.

Thanks, Schreiba. I am going to flip the aquascape... I am also going to switch out the rubble pile for a low profile rock... and I am taking your advice and sticking with the clear back.

small gobies....such as tiger,green banded,convict,trimma,yellow or green clown gobies.

I am liking the trimma goby... but if I get a top made I think a Hector's might be more active? Any idea?

Also, are Hector's known as jumpers?... only one site said yes.

4ba4d82e.jpg

FTS with the water a bit more clear

30096df7.jpg

Right side of tank

I am liking the trimma goby... but if I get a top made I think a Hector's might be more active? Any idea?

Also, are Hector's known as jumpers?... only one site said yes.

Yea the hectors are more active swimmers. The hectors arent particularly known to be jumpers but since the tank is so shallow any fish could be a potential jumper.

partyinyourhonor

Aquaclear refugium is set up. LR rubble at the bottom and surrounding heater, cheato, small sponge to catch debris (and will use space for carbon or other media as needed). For now I am using an Ikea 20w halogen for lighting. I would like to go LED some time soon, as well as swap heat for something smaller.

e2aa7ced.jpg

923b0e8b.jpg

b78fed70.jpg

partyinyourhonor

I flipped rock work per schreiba's advice... removed rubble and added a flat piece of LR on the lefthand side... I think it give the aquascape a more balanced feel... Also added extremely tiny Blue Legged hermit crabs...

It might help to flip the aquascape so you have the bigger rocks away from the MP10 that way when you put corals on it they're not getting blasted.

6a60cfa2.jpg

FTS

5d7cc32a.jpg

First addition

b706e2dd.jpg

Refugium viewed through tank

partyinyourhonor
Nice tank

My hector goby was a little punk and wouldnt eat anything I gave him. So be careful about that but they are a really cool fish.

Thanks Jojoe... things are coming together.

Good to know about the Hector Goby... I have been leaning away from them... I am also not planning on offering that wide of a variety of food to whatever fish I decide on... I have access to a freezer, but my office is in a university building that is huge and the walk is far and on a different floor. Plus, I want to keep it simple...

So, I am still in search of a fish... LFS's have made some odd recommendations of course... one said a mandarin would be a good idea once the tank matures for a month or two... another suggested a fire fish saying that it most likely wouldn't jump...

Also, my regular LFS is low on smaller fish. They are out of Hector's (which I don't want), they have a few Catalina gobies... but I am not sure about their special temp requirements etc...

They do have a pair of red psudos which are very small and nice and I don't think they get too big... however, they are suggested for tanks 30g+.... and a bi-color goby that I hadn't seen before... and can't find info on...

In other news, added three small snails today.

LFS people are retarded.....

How about a pistol and goby mix?

Maybe you could do a neon goby those guys are sweet looking and they move around alot.

I love the tailspot but I havent had luck in my tank. Had two and lost them in a few months.

I think that might be too small for him. Now that's just my two cents though.

Looks great!! I contemplated getting a tail spot blenny too but I've never seen one in any of my LFS so. Just curious...how high do you have your MP10 turned up and do you get some sandstorms?

YEAH you should have a gobies nation too! like me i have all of them in my solana. They are all happy and work well with each other. no aggression at all.

The tank is coming along really nice!

Archived