Coral Vue Hydros

iAquanaut's 10 gallon adventure...

iAquanaut

iAquanaut's 10 Gallon Adventure

DSC04074.jpg - Week 9

The Beginning

My interest in saltwater aquaria started back in 2009 when I was casually flipping through an issue of TFH magazine. As I read through the articles I started to notice all of the amazing pictures of saltwater aquariums; especially the corals and fish. An intense fascination followed and soon I was prowling the internet in search of all the information I could find on saltwater tanks. It took a year before I had the time and money to start the project, but I was finally able to set up my first saltwater nano-reef tank on December 27th 2010.

Equipment
  • Current USA T5/HO Nova Extreme
    -460nm blue actinic bulb
    - 12000k white bulb

Koralia Nano 240gph

Aqueon 10 power filter
    - with filter floss and Chemi Pure Elite

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Mag Float

Corals

• Pulsing Xenia

Galaxia

Fire and Ice zoas

Green zoas

Orange spotted zoas

Livestock

• 5 Cerinth snails

5 Hermit Crabs

2 Turbo snails

2 Nassarius snails

1 Peppermint shrimp

Nice!

:D Thanks!

loving the coraline! what kind of rock is that? it has really weird shapes!

Thankyou! I purposely got some pieces with good coraline growth so that the tank would be a bit more colorful :happy: . I do believe that the rock is Fiji... :D

Ok, so today I was doing my daily "tank check-up" and found that I have an aptaisia outbreak <_< ugh! I didn't think that the few little aptaisia heads that were on my live rock could spread so quickly :o ! Anyway, they are starting to bother my zoas witch is not ok. So i'm going to call the LFS and see if they have any peppermint shrimp in stock so I won't have to resort to medicating the tank. Also, will a peppermint shrimp be a threat of anykind to my zoas in the future?

Some of the little intruders that are attacking my zoas:

DSC03790.jpg

DSC03792.jpg

Love your liverock shape/color. Sorry about the aptasia(sp?). Nice looking tank. Are you going to put a solid background in the back?

Love your liverock shape/color. Sorry about the aptasia(sp?). Nice looking tank. Are you going to put a solid background in the back?

Thanks! I am not sure what subspecies the aptaisia is, all I know is that its your typical "glass anemone". I do plan on getting a background, probably blue, eventually. The wall behind it works well for now since it is a blue/grey color.

Called the LFS and they have some peppermints in for around $13 :D Hopefully I'll have one in my tank by tonight!

Great tank! In my experience none of the pepermint shrimp even touched aiptasia. I hope yours does!

Thanks! I hope mine does, too! :) I don't want to have to resort to manually removing the aptaisia cause there's no way I could completely get rid of it all. At least not without drying out the live rock and starting over which I definitely do not want to do!

Hey Guys! I have some good news and bad news. Good news: My peppermint shrimp has done an amazing job cleaning up all the aptaisia in my tank and as far as I can tell my tank is aptaisia free now :D ! Bad news: I have been noticing alot of little white bumps all over my brown clown goby which can only mean one thing; he got ick. <_< I do not have a QT tank so there is no way that I could remove and medicate him for any extent of time, but I was wondering if I could give him a "freshwater bath" to get rid of it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alright, so today I took on the challange to rescape my tank and have created ( in my opinion) a really cool scape! I'll post some pics tommorow once everything settles down. :D

Looking good. :~) How's the clown goby doing? Have you tried the fw dips yet?

I just did a quick search and found this site.. Thought I'd share. ;)http://ezinearticles.com/?Marine-Ich---Fre...&id=3529256

Thanks for the article, it was very helpful! Though I have bad news...I turned the light on yesterday and found my clown goby laying motionless, on his side, at the bottom of the tank. :(

I never got to try a freshwater dip due to him being deep within the rockwork and me not wanting to pull it all out of the tank to get to him. I had read that a fish's immune system could fight off the ick, but forgot that ick keeps coming back in a tank -_- ...I also did not want to medicate the tank with a copper based medication because of all the inverts.

I probably will not get another fish for a little while as to allow for some time for the ick in the tank to die off. I do plan on getting a sea hare soon, though! I think that they are the coolest inverts ever!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I figure that I will probably not get a seahare for a while considering how much they eat. If I do get one I will set up a separate tank for it.

This weekend I will be going to the LFS and hope to get some more corals and members for my CUC. I can't wait! :haha: I am hoping to get some xenia, frogspawn, and/or some more zoanthids.

As for more members for my CUC, what would you guys suggest? My sandbed has been getting coated with brown algae, diatoms, and some kind of nasty grey slime really fast. I stir it up about every 2-3 days to keep it relatively clean. Currently, I still have the two turbo snails and two nassarius snails along with my peppermint shrimp and multiple hitchhikers.

Ok, so I figure that I will probably not get a seahare for a while considering how much they eat. If I do get one I will set up a separate tank for it.

This weekend I will be going to the LFS and hope to get some more corals and members for my CUC. I can't wait! :haha: I am hoping to get some xenia, frogspawn, and/or some more zoanthids.

As for more members for my CUC, what would you guys suggest? My sandbed has been getting coated with brown algae, diatoms, and some kind of nasty grey slime really fast. I stir it up about every 2-3 days to keep it relatively clean. Currently, I still have the two turbo snails and two nassarius snails along with my peppermint shrimp and multiple hitchhikers.

I added about 15 hermit to my BC29 and my sand is nice and bright! I wouldnt stir the sand.

I added about 15 hermit to my BC29 and my sand is nice and bright! I wouldnt stir the sand.

Thanks for the help! How many would you suggest for a 10 gallon? I was considering getting about 4-6 blue legged hermits.

i would do one of the mini blue legs per gallong, and the 5 nassarius snails, a couple nerites, and a couple astreas.

Thanks! Ok, so these are what I am considering to get:

- Nerite snails 3-4?

- Cerinth snails 2-3?

- Astrea snails 2-3?

- Blue legged hermits 7-10

- Nassarius snail(s) 1-2

The reason for the question marks is because I'm not exactly sure how many snails you can have per gallon. As I said, I already have 2 nassarius and 2 turbo snails. They do relatively well at keeping the rocks clean, but absolutely nothing for the sand bed as far a cleaning is concerned.

Yeah. Keep the hermits small please. I use a turkey baster ~1 time per week to stir the sandbed, deadspots & back chambers.

Thanks for idea! I didn't really think to do that. As I said; I have been using my hands to stir up the sand and "wave" anything off of my live rock.

Ok, so I have a question. I want to know if I need to keep my corals on a light schedule, and if so how long? I have been turning the light on around 8 or 9 every morning and have been turning it off around 10 or 11. Is it important to corals (and the rest of the tank inhabitants) that the light goes on and off at the same time everyday?

Archived