taken down replaced with

SHALLOW HAPPY LAND

1624410b.jpg

Specifications

display: marineland 45 cube (in fact 39 gallons) 24x24x18

sump: aga 20 high, four chambers

lighting: boostled mu fixture 119 1w leds, 2 moonlight pods for rkl

controller: reef keeper lite

filtration: reefoctopus nwb-110, Super Reef Octopus BR110 Biopellet Reactor, ehiem 2211 for GFO/carbon

Circulation: Ecotech Marine VorTech MP10es, glass-holes overflow, two 1/2in linelock returns, mag 3

Temperature Control: 250W Titanium Heating Tube controlled by rkl

auto top off: ato.com level switch, aqualifter pump

Parameters

Temperature: 79.2

Specific Gravity: 1.025

PH: 8.2

Calcium: 420

Alkalinity: 9

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

Phosphate: 0

maintenance

daily 10ml brightwell A

10ml brightwell B

10drops brightwell AA

10drops brightwell coral color

feed every other day; PE mysis, cyclop-eeze, two drops of each phyto and roti feast.

weekly 5 gallon WC, rinse filter sock, rinse mp10 screen, empty and rinse skimmer cup.

livestock

fish:

three blue eye cardinals

pair of gold band clowns (tiny)

lost in storm of 2011

breading pair of bangi cardinals (i have seen the babys in his mouth but he keeps eating them)

x-mass wrasse

sand sifting goby (not sure what kind)

pair of mocha clowns

skooter blenny

hi-fin goby

mystery wrasse

inverts:

coral banded shrimp (aka: not lobster)

three pompom crabs (so cool)

skunk cleaner shrimp

long spine urchin (we'll see how long this lasts)

porcelain crab

tiger pistol shrimp

hermits ......

snails ...... snails......snails................

lps:

pagoda cup (a little happier)

duncan (started as one head) a new one just one head few babies

acans new ones small but nice colors

x-mass fava

trumpet

sps:

red cap

pink birds nest

random green acro

lost in storm of 2011

red planet

green slimer

ora joe

ora ausi delicate

orange cap

purple cap

rainbow monti

sunset monti

green milli

rainbow milli

purple digi

purple rimed green cap

tank history

old FTS

jan/11

_MG_7699.jpg

feb/11

_MG_7926.jpg

march/11

fts311.jpg

april/11

eed59586.jpg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yay! another 45 cube! The cup coral in your old tank is beautiful!

thanks its not as happy as it once was i had a pair of clowns that seemed to think it was a better home than the big bubble tip.

so after quite some time i have decided that i have had enough of these &^$&$%( pallys. it started as just a few on a pretty cool zoe rock. and now 3 tanks and about 4 years later they have taken over every surface that gets light. i have tried to get leverage by puling large clumps of them off at a time but its just not going to work.

so its time for a new tank, new build and no pallys!!!!!

the current tank is a 34 corner bow under a diy 35cree lamp, running a crp aroforce hob skimmer ( all in all a nice skimmer it was quick to break in and ran well for some time. but as it matures needs constant cleaning not a big fan anymore)

befor it got out of hand

IMG_0820.jpg

as it sits now (i have started to pull frags for transplant)

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

new tank will be a marine land 45 cube 24x24x18 (i really like cube foot prints)

20gal diy sump

reef octopus skimmer

gl#######s overflow and returns

mp10

boostled mu led lamp

the stand

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1080.jpg

removable side for sump access

IMG_1082.jpg

the sump its ugly but will work

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1101.png

pluming bits

IMG_1079.jpg

im off to pick up the tank today i will post more latter

IMG_1108.jpg

so picked up the tank today, and whats the first thing i do

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

this was my first time drilling glass, it was a bit scary.

also picked up a fuge light

IMG_1109.jpg

i will probably paint the back glass black, as i wish to not see the pluming

IMG_1118.jpg

sorry about the iphone pics. ill use my camera next time

not much left to do but wait the skimmer should be here mid next week as well as the last of the pluming supplies. the lamp maybe the end of the month.

Painted the back glass black. Looks nice can hardly see the overflow.

Also I did a little math. As it turns out the marineland 45 gallon cube is in fact a 39 gallon tank.

No real updates as of yet. Still waiting on the skimmer and some plumbing.

I have however been doing quite a bit of readin about vodka doesing/ pellets and other ways to keep np down. As I am often not home for days at a time the vodka method doesnt seem right for me. So I ordered a reactor and some pellets from BRS should be here Tuesday. The desition to run biopellets has caused me to rethink my sump design. It looks like wile running pellets there is no reason to also have a fuge. So I have eliminated that chamber in the sump. I simply made the middle chamber larger to house the skimmer and reactor. I then made the first chamber about 4 in and made the baffle the hight of the tank this will house fresh ro for topoff. Float switch from ato.com with an aqualifter pump.

Feel free to share comments or suggestions.

More to come this weekend as things arrive

update!!!

plumbing is done i modified the gl#######s over flow a bit.

reefkeeper lite is set up got a new 250w titanium heater element to be controlled by the rkl

ato float switch installed

reefOcto installed and boy is it quiet

pics

_MG_7647.jpg

_MG_7648.jpg

_MG_7645.jpg

_MG_7649.jpg

_MG_7640.jpg

sweet set up so far!

thanks

it was a busy day yesterday and the day befor

monday went to lfs and picked up a 15 to put everyone in for the

time that the new tank cycles if it does. took some pally ridden rock

and my bubble tip to another lfs

and got a few large chunks of LR

_MG_7655.jpg

_MG_7671.jpg

yesterday broke down the 34 made a whole bunch of ro. i took about 10 or so gallons from the old tank as most went in to the 15. it took all day to make enough ro to fill the tank.

_MG_7660.jpg

ups man came with the reactor and the aqua lifter for my ato

_MG_7666.jpg

_MG_7668.jpg

spent an hour or so aquascaping with acrilic rod and some puddy.

i really like how it turned out

_MG_7658.jpg

_MG_7670.jpg

this morning went out to Hdepot got stuff to make a screen top

_MG_7680.jpg

and FTS

front

_MG_7679.jpg

side

_MG_7678.jpg

boostled lamp should be here tomorrow

So the octo is starting to skim like it should finally.

Having a bit of a brown algae bloom but that is to be expected.

Picked up some test kits and I'm at all 0s.

Tossed in some more snails and hermits.

Will start moving in livestock over the next week or so.

I can't wait to get everyone into there new home.

Hanna checker should be here soon so I can see what the pellets are doing.

I'll post some more picks once I get things in the tank.

Also going to be picking up a sigma 105 macro lens once my tax returns come in.

Very nice. Like the aquascape. Are you running a mix in the fluidized reactor? Looks like carbon plus bio pellets on top.

Thanks

No I just have pallets in the reactor. They just floated for a bit untill the skimmer stoped spitting microbubbles.

I moved everone in today. Pics to come

pics from yesterday. also i modified post #1 to have info and recent FTS i will keep that up to date as well as.

usps why are you so fast? it takes fedex and ups a week to do what you can do in two days.

really why don't people ship usps more they are faster and cheaper than both fed ex and ups, and they work on Saturday. just my 2¢

_MG_7735.jpg

the urchin i picked up. i had done some reading on breeding cardinals and how the male will release the fry into a long spine..... we shall see, if it doesn't work out i can always find him a new home.

_MG_7732.jpg

and full frontal and a side shot

_MG_7736.jpg

_MG_7739.jpg

took some pics tonight.. still working on getting the white balance where i want it.... i know i should be shooting raw and i do normally but I've gotten lazy..

_MG_7755.jpg

_MG_7754.jpg

_MG_7753.jpg

_MG_7752.jpg

_MG_7759.jpg

_MG_7760.jpg

_MG_7765.jpg

_MG_7766.jpg

as far as i know long spines are reef safe, its said that the eat coralline algae but im ok with that also they are a bit clumsy and can get to big for a smaller tank. at that point just swap it for a smaller one.

update on things

so i have had the biopelllets on line for about a week and ive been dosing mb7. all seems to be going well nitrates are testing 0 and phos tests 0.00 on the hanna checker, so they seem to be working. the little bit of hair algae i was unable to get the rocks/corals during the move is not growing. which says something, it was still growing out of hand when i had everything in the 15 hospital tank.

the octo is fully broken in and pulling nice dark skimate.

i still have screen over the top even though the corals where only under t5s for a week i don't want to shock them with the leds so im just being safe. i am very pleased with the boost led lamp. it doesn't seem to be as bright as the diy lamp i made last year but the guys at boostled say that its equal to a 250 MH witch leads me to believe that i may have had my old lamp turned up a tad to high. my corals did seem a bit pale.

everyone in the tank seems to be happy.

• Like 1

_MG_7789.jpg

_MG_7804.jpg

its been almost 2 weeks in the new system and all seems well, still testing 0s. so the coral bug has struck again. so im off to jays aquatic in salem nh tomorrow hope to find some nice things. i went there a few weeks ago and it is a real nice shop. if you live in the new england area i would definitely suggest you check it out.

This is a sweet setup, looks great so far. Love the golf as well, got a bigger picture? I used to have a MKI and a MKII.

thanks, yes my golf is my baby she stared as a bare shell that i got from a guy in ct. three years latter i have to the point it is now. my golf gl build thread on vwvwortex i also have a mk1 jetta as my winter car.

P8160189.jpg

my girls

PC070043.jpg

now back to things reef, went off to jays yesterday and did well. got a few nice $10 frags and a nice $20 frag.

my girl got me a super cute pair of mocha clowns. i was going to get some snowflakes or picassos but the mochas are so cute.

_MG_7826.jpg

_MG_7825.jpg

so it looks like i will not be getting a macro lens as soon as i would like, had a little bit of a disaster this weekend and spent my tax returns to fix it.

Archived