Pod Your Reef

rb1685's Rimless BC14 - 3.5 Years and counting

rb1685

rb1685's BioCube 14
My first venture into the world of aquaria.

The tank was born January 1st, 2011.

Equipment:
De-Rimmed BioCube14 - with usual false door mods
Hydor Pico Evo 1200 return pump
Eheim Jäger 75W Heater
EcoTech Marine MP10ES
StevieT's Mediabasket with Cheato, ChemiPure & Purigen
Filter floss
Nanotuners' 3.6 CREE LED Retrofit Kit.
JBJ Nano-Glo Fuge Light
Current USA 1/15hp Chiller
Tunze Osmolator ATO

Livestock:
CUC
Astrea snails
Cerith snails
Super Tongan Nassarius snails
Scarlet Hermit crab
Stomatella

Fish
Pair of Black & White Ocellaris Clowns

Soft Corals
Misc zoas & palythoas
Blue Clove/Blue Anthelia polyps (weeds)
Ricordea
Ricordea Yuma
GSP
Turquoise Mushroom'
Pulsing Xenia

LPS Corals
Red Aussie Blastomussa
Green Duncan
War Coral
Green Torch
Random Survivor Acan

SPS Corals
ORA Scripp's Green Tip Stag Acropora
Red Montipora Cap.
Purple Montipora Cap.
Blue Hawkins Echinata
ORA German Blue Polyp Digitata
Purple Tip Valida
Bali Green Slimer
Green Polyp Stylo
Green Birdsnest

12-5-2012 FTS

PC050001.jpg

5/28/2013 FTS

IMG_1896_zps4ef42a3c.jpg

8/22/2013 FTS

P8220020_zps7eb93e18.jpg

1/5/2014 FTS

IMG_2266_zpsd0316897.jpg

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exciting! I'm checking in here since I have a new BC14 that I'm still buying equipment for. You have the pump and powerhead that I'm most likely going to put into my tank.

I actually like the placement of that shelf that juts out on the left side of your rockscape. The only thing I would do (and this is purely personal opinion) is take the rock in front of it (provided that it isn't supporting anything) and scoot it up a little towards the front and left a wee bit as foreground. In my mind, that would make the scape look a bit more balanced visually since it looks like you have the bulk of your mass on the right side. Besides, I have this cool image of a fish swimming underneath that little shelf. :happy:

Looking good though! Is this going to be your main tank thread or will you be maintaining the other one?

*Edited for spelling.

Nice set up.... I placed my thread in the members aquarium and havent gotten much response either. It was placed in AIO first and received only one comment,lol.

As far as the ammonia spike you should experience it by week one or week two. On the aquascape just wanted to ask how much space you have on the right side? can you clean the glass b/c it looks like the rock is on the glass.

Looking good though! Is this going to be your main tank thread or will you be maintaining the other one?

Thanks! I'll probably keep this as my main tank thread. I mimicked my equipment upgrades to that of JoeJoe's and MadDevil's. I am very pleased with the choice so far. I plan on adding LPS in a few months, so a lighting upgrade is on the horizon. B)

Nice set up.... I placed my thread in the members aquarium and havent gotten much response either. It was placed in AIO first and received only one comment,lol.

As far as the ammonia spike you should experience it by week one or week two. On the aquascape just wanted to ask how much space you have on the right side? can you clean the glass b/c it looks like the rock is on the glass.

The tank's been running for about 2 weeks. I did a water test last night with still no changes. I'm starting to get some algae/diatom growth on the rocks, so I'm getting a bit antsy about a CUC.

Yeah there's not much space at the very bottom right. It's not quite touching the glass, but I can't get my scraper back there (not to mention the mag float). I actually want to move the entire scape to the left about 1/2". Hahaha.

Here's a blurry pic of the bristle worm.

post-55375-1294942610_thumb.jpg

I posted it in the ID forum this morning. I was hoping it wasn't a fire worm, but the general consensus was bristle worm. I think the little bastard stung me last week. :angry: My finger turned red and went numb for a few hours. I don't know if it was related or not, but I broke out in some kind of allergic reaction all over my arms within the hour. My doctor told me to find a new hobby. My response was, "fat chance." -_-

Wow....... I didnt think that anyone would want to mimic my setup! Thanks :happy:

You might want to move it over a bit so you can clean that side unless no one will see it.

Why dont you throw in a piece of shrimp to jump start the cycle if you havent seen an ammonia spike yet.

Here's a blurry pic of the bristle worm.

post-55375-1294942610_thumb.jpg

I posted it in the ID forum this morning. I was hoping it wasn't a fire worm, but the general consensus was bristle worm. I think the little bastard stung me last week. :angry: My finger turned red and went numb for a few hours. I don't know if it was related or not, but I broke out in some kind of allergic reaction all over my arms within the hour. My doctor told me to find a new hobby. My response was, "fat chance." -_-

Well some do get an allergic reaction to things in the tank and they wear gloves b/c of it. The pix is blurry so I can not really tell but it looks like a normal bristle. Have you tried googling the image?

Why dont you throw in a piece of shrimp to jump start the cycle if you havent seen an ammonia spike yet.

A couple of times I've crushed some pellet food (got a few bottles with the used tank) with the back of a spoon and scooped into the tank. After doing this I noticed some rather rapid diatom growth. If I don't see any ammonia changes by the next water test, I'll do the shrimp thing.

What kind of tests do you use? Maybe a different kind of test would be the answer as it seems odd that you have not seen any rise in ammonia yet. Even with the very established rock I believe there would be some form of cycle, but I do not claim to be an expert either B) .

Good luck with the progress on this tank and I will definitely be tagging along as I am getting very anxious to set up my own BC14.

What kind of tests do you use? Maybe a different kind of test would be the answer as it seems odd that you have not seen any rise in ammonia yet.

I use the RedSea Multi Test kit. http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplie...MARINE-LAB.html

It came with the tank when I bought, but it didn't even look used. The guy had been into reefing for 15 years, so I have no idea how old this kit is. I'm really tempted to buy a new kit just to play it safe.

Yes, in the beginning API tests would be a good choice. Once you start testing for dKH, Cal, Mg - you might want to switch to ELOS or Salifert.

* Also put a link to this thread in your signature. You might get more comments by doing that * ;)

So I got the API test, and I like it. It's way faster and way simpler than the RedSea test (not to mention not 5 years expired).

The verdict is that after two weeks of running my Ammonia, NO2, NO3 are all 0. I guess I missed the cycle, or didn't have one altogether. Everything that is alive in it (diatoms, hitchikers, coralline) is thriving quite well, so I suppose it's time for the CUC.

I'm thinking about the 10 gal quick crew from ReefCleaners. My tank only really has just over 10 gallons anyway, after the substrate and rock and such. Opinions? I'm thinking about one hermit just for entertainment value. :lol:

After doing a water change Sunday and water test Monday, I decided that it would be safe for a CUC. I wanted to go see what my LFS had and ended up walking out with 1 red-legged hermit, 2 Astreas, and 3 other little snails whose name escapes me. I know the hermit is unnecessary and can potentially be a pest, but he's fun to watch for now. He was feasting within seconds of being in the tank.

The little snails I got started with an M, and they're def not margarita snails. I'll try to find out more about them and post some pics tonight.

After doing a water change Sunday and water test Monday, I decided that it would be safe for a CUC. I wanted to go see what my LFS had and ended up walking out with 1 red-legged hermit, 2 Astreas, and 3 other little snails whose name escapes me. I know the hermit is unnecessary and can potentially be a pest, but he's fun to watch for now. He was feasting within seconds of being in the tank.

The little snails I got started with an M, and they're def not margarita snails. I'll try to find out more about them and post some pics tonight.

Let me know if you want to try out a GSP.

Let me know if you want to try out a GSP.

Yes. That'd be awesome! I don't have anything to trade, but I'll pay you. Just PM with a price.

I snagged a pic of the snails before the daylights went out. The guy on the right is an Astrea, but I have no clue what the one on the left is. I bought three of them and they are reaping the algae without discretion.

post-55375-1295401007_thumb.jpg

I'll post in the ID forum too.

Yes. That'd be awesome! I don't have anything to trade, but I'll pay you. Just PM with a price.

Price = Free :happydance:

I will be at All About Fish this weekend (Saturday) if you want to meet up. If you want as well, I have a pretty decent size piece of Birdsnest as well. Just let me know. I need to get them out of my tank! ;)

Price = Free :happydance:

I will be at All About Fish this weekend (Saturday) if you want to meet up. If you want as well, I have a pretty decent size piece of Birdsnest as well. Just let me know. I need to get them out of my tank! ;)

I'd love to take the Birdsnest too, but will it be okay under stock lighting? I do intend to get an updgrade when I have the $$$ (thinking tax return), but for now everything will have to make do with stock lighting.

I'd love to take the Birdsnest too, but will it be okay under stock lighting? I do intend to get an updgrade when I have the $$$ (thinking tax return), but for now everything will have to make do with stock lighting.

Yea.....just put it as high as you can. It might not be as colorful, but it will grow. And when you get the light upgrade, it will grow like a week and color up really nice!

What time would you like to meet at AAF? Late afternoon, say somewhere between 1pm-3pm?

What time would you like to meet at AAF? Late afternoon, say somewhere between 1pm-3pm?

Yeah say 1 o'clock, it'll probably take me about 45 minutes to get there, but if I get there before you, I'll hang around the store. I'm going to the opera that night at 6, so I need to rush back and get the corals situated before heading downtown. I'm excited omgomgomg

Those are nerite snails..... I have two and want to get a couple more

Yeah I'm impressed with them so far. They are doing more work on the algae than the 2 Astreas and red-legged hermit combined. Definitely worth the buy. I might get a couple more.

In less than two days, my tank has been overrun by a massive algae bloom. I had a little bit of algae last weekend so I added 5 snails and a hermit. Today I woke up and pretty much every inch of my live rock is covered with it. I've been doing 3 gallon water change every 5 days or so, and my params still look good, so I have no clue what's going on. I am running with Chemipure and Purigen now with the filter floss.

Today I added 2 nassarius snails and 3 more astreas. Nobody is eating though :(

I'm trying hard not to panic, but my tank went from looking great to looking awful in 2 days.

Archived