Cultivated Reef

Topless 20k Halide BC14 Now With Reefbrite Actinics!

Formula462

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply
needs a rim(less) job.. :) is that the BC29?

Lol no, it's the 14. I am hanging it up pretty soon and I will get some pics. I wouldn't want to put too many things under it right now. I thought it might be way too much light at that low height.

gulfsurfer101

I know a lfs employee who runs a 10g aga, with an ac70, ato, and 150w sunpod over it with lots of nice sps frags with plenty of growth everytime I see them. The thing you'll want to do is have a fan kick on with your lights and try to get an ato set up and you should be good.

nah thats not too bright a 150 isn't too much light... now over a 12" cube yeah that might be too much. try and adjust your brightness settings. lol

looks good though.

i just put a 150w viper over my 14" cube last night watch your temps mine went from 80.2 to 83.8 in 6 hours i added a pc fan running at 5.9v last night after lights out. it should kick on when the lights kick on. will see how it does when i get home today. my viper is at its highest point which is about 12" over the tank. i might lower it a few inches but it is bright.

i just put a 150w viper over my 14" cube last night watch your temps mine went from 80.2 to 83.8 in 6 hours i added a pc fan running at 5.9v last night after lights out. it should kick on when the lights kick on. will see how it does when i get home today. my viper is at its highest point which is about 12" over the tank. i might lower it a few inches but it is bright.

it seems to be running slightly cooler with the halide so far. the reason it is so saturated is because I took it with my Droid X. The only knock I have on this phone is it's camera could be better configured to let me adjust white balance. I will take some pics with my DSLR when I get a chance. I need to go get some more LR today too.

ok so this is interesting.. so much so that i'm gonna have to take some more accurate measurements. If I read this right, my 2 x 40w pc fixture is pumpin out more par than my 70w halide.. apogee meter. need to confirm but i'll be damned.

the mounting is temporary. i'm having my father make me a rack to mount it from that will have it lay totally flat and about a little over a foot off the water. right now i imagine it would make a handy-dandy coral melter.

tankhalide.jpg

What type of light is it? I want to upgrade the lighting on my 12gallon JBJ but am unsure what light to go with. I know I am going 150w with 14k but looking for suggestions. Thanks for any input.

so yeah it popped my high temp alarm at 83 degrees today and it's literally freezing outside. i kinda figured it would with the way it is mounted. the supplied mounting legs do not work so well with the bc14, or maybe i am an idiot and just haven't figured it out yet. it's a fishneedit 150w halide with the stock 14k bulb. i have plans for the phoenix 14k because frankly, why wouldn't i? lol. it is sort of leaning over the tank at an angle with the front highest point elevated about 3 inches higher than the lowest point (back) over the water. which is about 7.5 inches. so basically right now it is not level and the front of the light lips up and casts more light towards the front of the tank. i also fear it may be blinding my cocker spaniel. but overall for the price its a great little, albeit, strong ass light. also note it has no cooling fans internally or externally. but it has many vents! (say that last part with a hindi accent)

Going to get more LR today. Also might have time to hang it as well. I am going to use the original hood and a sheet to keep drywall from falling into it while making the holes. It gets hot where it's at too.

Hang the light from the ceiling and get a fan to blow over your tank water. If you have a controller you can just have the fan automatically go on when the temp goes above your desired setting.

Weelll I couldn't find my camera charger....so that sucks, but no worries I guess. I tried a little harder with my Droid to get a better pic and it seems to have worked some. At least you can kinda see thru the tank now lol. Also the sand settling helped with that alot too ;)

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank3.jpg

the bottom of the light fixture is exactly ten inches from the surface of the water.

lol i also just realized that the striker on that closet door misses the front right corner of the tank by about1/4 inch....scary lol

• Like 1

doesnt that fixture come with adjustable things to stop the excess light spill? not nit picking just saying i think it would direct a bit more of that light down at the water.

doesnt that fixture come with adjustable things to stop the excess light spill? not nit picking just saying i think it would direct a bit more of that light down at the water.

hmmm not that i noticed no. i'll look into it tho. it splashes the back wall with some light yes.

Looks nice! Can't wait to see how it does. I'm upgraded to a 150w for my 14g biocube later this week (getting the viper deluxe w/ fan and LEDs). It's nice to see other people that I can compare my set-up to :)

Looks nice! Can't wait to see how it does. I'm upgraded to a 150w for my 14g biocube later this week (getting the viper deluxe w/ fan and LEDs). It's nice to see other people that I can compare my set-up to :)

thanks, i was going to get the viper but i couldn't justify the price difference seeing as how this one is so much cheaper yet better reviewed. i like the viper, but was worried about temp because it can only get so high off the water.

Yeah that makes sense. Mine wasn't too bad though- 200 w shipping from hellolights. I just rent and didn't want to have to ceiling mount anything. I heard the fans on it are like jet engines, so I'm just gonna pray its cool enough.

so i bought a neon green favia for 40.00 bucks today. i tried to make him a shady spot with some tongan branch and it seems like i may have done a good job.

favia.jpg

photo2.jpg

bump*

anyone have green favias under similar lighting/depth? i figure that being a deeper water coral, it will benefit alot and also look cooler under the phoenix14k i have coming soon.

Ya I got a bc14 with a sunpod. It just sits right on the tank with the mounting legs, so what like 5 or 6 inches off the water. It's being pushed by a 250w lumatek digital ballast, dialed down to 150w, xm 20k bulb, and an ecoxotic panorama module for actinic dawn dusk. It's pretty sick. I got torch, hammers, lobos, favad, palys- those are like 2 inches from the water line, sprouted like 6 new ployps in 4 days. So ya, i got a lil bit of everything. I don't think it's too much light at all. But I have 2 fans in my sunpod, two of the azoo cooling fans on the tank, and an Ato with a

5g resivore. I fill it up about 1 time every 8-9 days. I live in Vegas, so I'm anxious what the summer brings.

tankdroid.jpg

Ya I got a bc14 with a sunpod. It just sits right on the tank with the mounting legs, so what like 5 or 6 inches off the water. It's being pushed by a 250w lumatek digital ballast, dialed down to 150w, xm 20k bulb, and an ecoxotic panorama module for actinic dawn dusk. It's pretty sick. I got torch, hammers, lobos, favad, palys- those are like 2 inches from the water line, sprouted like 6 new ployps in 4 days. So ya, i got a lil bit of everything. I don't think it's too much light at all. But I have 2 fans in my sunpod, two of the azoo cooling fans on the tank, and an Ato with a

5g resivore. I fill it up about 1 time every 8-9 days. I live in Vegas, so I'm anxious what the summer brings.

I live in Texas so I feel you on that one. I need to get an ATO and I plan on doing so. I am also going to mount a small black fan on the wall behind the tank to blow across the water or at the actual fixture.

Archived