Coral Vue Hydros

Racerfreak's ADA 30C Nano Build

racerfreak

I'm switching back to my 30C while I take apart and sell my BC29 and most of my other stuff. I've decided to just keep it simple and not over plan. For some reason I just like super small tanks a lot.

Just purchased a ADA 30C from Aqua Forest Aquarium. I nixed the BC14 idea and decided to splurge on the ADA 30C :happy:

Equipment

-ADA 30C

-Aqueon Pro 50 heater

-Ecotech Marine VorTech MP10 ES

-TLF 150 Media Reactor

-Hydor PICO Evo-Mag 180

-Hagen Marina Hang On Breeding Box, Medium

-AutoTopoff.com 0.5" Sump Single Switch

-EVIL/Nano Tuners PAR 38 40* 12k

-BoostedLED.com Reef Lamp Clamp

July 2011

6011170448_7991479498.jpg

Feb 27 2011

5482531879_c9bf038586.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to drill the tank and either custom make a sump or use a tank, but that's the least of my concern. I can't decide between doing a herbie overflow or a regular overflow, I'm worried about cracking the tank with the herbie but i doubt i'll have an issue if I take my time. Secondly I need to decide on a return pump; I'm thinking about the ViaAqua 1800, Quiet One 1200, & Rio 1100 or 1400.

Tank should be here Monday :D

Supposedly the smaller tanks aren't tempered. I'm considering the Mame overflow, I called Aquatouch about it and got put on a waiting list.

I e-mailed John at advacrylic.com about building me a custom sump, so that's one more thing off the check list. I removed the baffles to the return pump in the final design with John. Here are by rough drafts of the sump:

12insumpdopdown.jpg

14x12sumpsideveiw.jpg

Hey that first sump design is awesome. Hope you don't mind, but i plan on using it for the sump on my next tank. Following your thread though. ;)

Congrats on the purchase.

Now, I have no experience on ADA tanks, besides knowing they're real purdy and such, but I've noticed a trend on here lately ... I've NEVER seen one drilled.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but every time there is a sump, a hang-over overflow is used.

My guess is that it has something to do with it not being able to be drilled, but I'm not sure.

There are actually quite a few ada tanks on here that have been drilled, mostly from the bottom though.

I love my 30C! I plan on getting a mame overflow if they become more readily available.

Hey that first sump design is awesome. Hope you don't mind, but i plan on using it for the sump on my next tank. Following your thread though. ;)

I don't mind at all, I'm actually glad you like it that much. I spent hours thinking of the perfect design, may seem like a simple design but I went through a lot of them. Also happy to see your interest.

Now, I have no experience on ADA tanks, besides knowing they're real purdy and such, but I've noticed a trend on here lately ... I've NEVER seen one drilled.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but every time there is a sump, a hang-over overflow is used.

My guess is that it has something to do with it not being able to be drilled, but I'm not sure.

Well, they can be drilled. My major concern is cracking, but I may have a local glass shop drill it.

There are actually quite a few ada tanks on here that have been drilled, mostly from the bottom though.

I love my 30C! I plan on getting a mame overflow if they become more readily available.

Your 30C is really nice :lol: I think it will be a while before the Mame overflows are readily available, but it may just be the next big thing.

did you account for acrylic thickness?

Yes I did :happy: That's why I removed the sump to return baffles and went with a toothed wall after talking it out with John. I'm going to be going with a Bubble-Magus 3.5 Cone Skimmer, so I needed to make sure it would fit.

Mine was drilled, I hid the plumbing in the rock. And no cracking at all, im actually re using this tank after having sealed the holes.

050210-FTS.jpg

Looking forward to this.

Mine was drilled, I hid the plumbing in the rock. And no cracking at all, im actually re using this tank after having sealed the holes.

Looking forward to this.

Glad to here you had no issues with cracking fingerscrossed hopefully all will go well. I'm looking forward to this too. I'm kinda sad you transformed the reef to a planted fresh water tank, it was such a beautiful tank, but the build looks great so far.

What happened to the nano cube 28? Congrats on the new setup

Thank you, I ended up selling it because I didn't like the rear sump setup. Now I have a BC29 tank sitting in a box waiting to be set up :lol: I've always wanted a BC29 and thought the NC28 would be better, but wasn't IMO. I'm transferring my current 20G to the ADA 30C and going to start fresh with the BC29.

how much would a sump like that cost?

The sump cost me $125 shipped from advacrylic.com

Sump #1 is almost identical to a custom sump I made for my tank. Only difference is I don't have a divider before the skimmer, that's on continuous chamber, and no baffles before the return, which in retrospect I should have done.

not sure if should get such large skimmer. id stick to a 9002

I would rather overskim than underskim, plus it's rated 25-80 gallons. I'm also planning to use bio-pellets with the tank so I will need the additional skimming.

Sump #1 is almost identical to a custom sump I made for my tank. Only difference is I don't have a divider before the skimmer, that's on continuous chamber, and no baffles before the return, which in retrospect I should have done.

No kidding, it is a simple design so I'm sure I wasn't the fist to think it up. Both drawings are of the same sump, one top down and the other is a side shot. I did remove the baffles but went with a toothed wall over a plain wall to prevent plant life from flowing into the return.

I've decided to go with 2x 3/4" overflows and just 1x 1/2" return. I'm still not too sure how I want to lay it out. If I drill from the bottom I will do a 3"x6" overflow and if I drill from the back I'll do a 3"x4" overflow. I'm leaning more towards the drilling of the back of the tank, just do I don't have to drill the stand.

THE TANK IS HERE!!!!!

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0932.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

You get what you pay for with this tank, even came with lid brackets and a book on how to setup and design your aquarium :happy:

Good stuff dude. Be sure to take pics of the sump when it gets there, i really want to see what it looks like. If it's worth it, i'll give John the same layout and ask him for the same price. I recently bought a tank from him too. :)

I'll be sure to post pics when the sump arrives, don't worry.

The tank is awesome and I can't wait to get it up and running. I'm facing two dilemmas at the moment; lighting and drilling. First IDK if I want to go with a 70w MH pendant or LED. If I go led I am going to go DIY, or 2x 12" Vertex LUMILUX I, or AI SOL NANO.

Drilling comes down to everything. Do I want to do a gl#######s nano overflow,or do I want to do 2x 1/2" holes, or 2x 3/4" holes, or just 1x 1" hole?

any ideas on overflow? gl#######s 1x 1" nano vs custom 2x 1/2"?

Called AI about the SOL Nano, spoke to Greg who told me the first batches won't be shipped out till around February, so it looks like I got some waiting to do on the light fixture <_<

Also emailed John at AC about the sump and it looks like it should be shipped out on Tuesday :happy:

I've decided to go with a corner overflow 3" x 3" with two 1/2 returns. I emailed John at Advanced Acrylics about the overflow. I still can't decide between MH or LED for the tank, but I have some time to decide.

Wow, looking great bro! How did your shipment went? Are you really drilling your tank? Tagging along with u too! Since we both are starting on the ADA tanks.

Cheers,

David

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I'm goint to be drilling the ADA :lol: My sunp and custom overflow are on there way, so they will hopefully be here this week. The tank build is going to be going slower than expected at this point, I have to move my 20H and setup my BC29 before I can setup the 30C tank <_<

Archived