Pod Your Reef

jgoldwood's 40 breeder

jgoldwood

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant comment on the closed loop, dont know enough about how it all works but I have the GH kit and when I first set it up it was really loud. After some advice from here I realized that I had my pump cranked up too much. I backed it off some and it made a huge difference. It is no where near silent but its tolerable.

Good luck with the build and sorry I couldnt help you with your stand now.

Just read your pm.

My plumbing is very basic. Center overflow with 2 - 3/4" returns. The black "T" on my return is a SWCD. It switches the current from one return to the other about every 8 seconds. I love it.

Thank you for the reply, gutter. No worries on the stand. I found a guy to build me one for pretty cheap. Anxious to see how it looks when I pick it up tomorrow.

I was thinking of getting a SCWD unit myself. Where did you purchase yours from? What exactly is the black tubing on the back of your tank? Also, where it goes back to PVC, what is the thick, bulky part? Thanks again!

I picked up my SCWD from a lfs here. As far as the tubing it is just black tubing from home depot. The bulky thing in the middle is a check valve to help prevent water siphoning during power outage. If your reffering to the pvc by the SCWD they are adaptors to go from pvc to tubing

longboarder324

Hi, my friend wanted to do the exact same closed-loop, return system on his 46 bow (similar tank to yours). He took the tank to a reputable tank builer for drilling and the guy looked at my friend as if he was crazy when he told him to drill that many holes in his tank. The builder strongly advised against so many holes on that sized tank mainly because of the thickness of the glass. Bottom line, the tank ended up with 1 overflow hole, 1 return hole and 1 closed-loop hole feeding the pump. The closed-loop return lines hang over the edge and into the tank. He's also using a squid (w/mag 9.5) and it works well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice guys. It has been awhile, but I successfully drilled the tank today. I eliminated the closed loop outlet and returns, and will probably just use a MP10 with the tank. Working on cleaning up the stand and painting it this week, and an next weekend will be working on the plumbing. Any advice on this will be appreciated, as I am still pretty clueless about this. For the time being, I'll be using a 6-bulb 36" Tek fixture with the tank, and would appreciate some feedback on bulb combos. Also, I have a brand new Mag-12, but was worried about that being too much for this setup - 40 display and 29 sump. Thanks!

Would a Mag 12 be too much flow for a 40 breeder with two 3/4" returns?

How high are you pumping up. Most likey you will need to put a ball valve on to dial the flow down. I know when I was looking at the mags for my tank I was looking at the 9.5

The pump I have now is rated at 1050gph (i dont remember what it is a 3ft) but I have it dialed back to about 60 - 70%

photo1.jpg

Was going to work on plumbing the tank today, until we realized the guy that built the tank did it incorrectly and my 29G does not fit into the stand. I have since ordered a sump from Advanced Acrylics, and will have to wait a week or two to do anything else on the setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some done today...

Rock from reefcleaners

photo2-1.jpg

Tank with water testing for leaks and light hung

photo5.jpg

Plumbing

photo4.jpg

Sump (in a rough state)

photo3.jpg

What pump did you get? It was hard for me to decide with the 3/4 return. Didnt want too much flow and have to reduce it. Always makes it noisy. I ended up with an Eco633. A buddy had a new one was selling dirt cheap so couldn't pass it up.

For now I am using the Mag 12 that I already had. It works for seeding the rock and testing for leaks, but I think I'm going to go for a Mag 7.

Hi, Mini. I am not sure about the scape yet, as that it is just how it ended up when I threw the rocks in their to be seeded. What I have left from other tanks are 3 clowns, yellow watchman, target mandarin, and a cleaner and peppermint shrimp. Those will all go in, and I'm thinking about trying to pair the goby with a tiger pistol shrimp and adding a few damsels. You could see most of the corals I had in my 28G, but am always looking for more zoas.

Awesome! But the knot thing I wouldn't do is add the damsels. You could do a flasher wrasse or another kind of wrasse. Also keep in mind that Clowns are Damsels aN d sometimes they are prone to fighting.

cb0b350a.jpg

d1cfaf2a.jpg

Updated photos now that the setup is basically complete. Got my new Current Outer Orbit hung (although I need new MH bulbs) and all the plumbing is in order. Waiting for everything to run its course and then get this thing stocked.

Archived