Pod Your Reef

rbeng's Minibow 1

rbengal

I have been avoiding making this a topic because I didn't know the species of the mantis (still don't), but close enough! This tank has been up for a couple of months and contains nothing other than a mantis shrimp of the genus Chorosquilla, a couple of brittle star hitchhikers, and his foods. Roy over at Reefcentral ID'ed him and couldn't tell the exact species.

The great thing about this little guy is that he was freeeeee! Score! He was rescued out of a mesh frag box at the normal place I go for corals.

Right now he is in a Minibow 1 tank with an AC20.

FTS:

DSC01709.jpg

I warn you, he's adorable!

DSC01705.jpg

mantis2.jpg

wow - is it ever cute :) what are you feeding it?

He is being fed small live mussels (Mytilus edulis). I have no idea exactly what he eats based on Roy's list, but he seems to enjoy the mussels. I put a couple of small crabs in there, but I think they're too big for him. When I can find very small crabs again (preferably when it gets warmer...) I will probably do those as well. He doesn't seem to go for frozen mysis.

Mr. Microscope

Fun! Are you planning to add any lighting? Any other stocking ideas? How about a xenia/anthelia garden? Maybe that small blue anthelia!

that little guy is awesome. any idea how big he will get? my lfs has a sweet lookin mantis but they make me super nervous or else id like to set up a mantis only tank. You should definitely do a xenia/anthelia garden as mr. m said, it would look sweet

Fun! Are you planning to add any lighting? Any other stocking ideas? How about a xenia/anthelia garden? Maybe that small blue anthelia!

I was actually toying with the thought of making it a garden of something - zoas or something, but I don't have any xenia in my other tank because I was afraid it would take over, so it would be pretty awesome to make it into something other than what I am now calling MOWLR (Mantis Only with Live Rock) :lol:

I have a ZooMed UltraSun Compact Fluorescent Mini bulb and clamp lamp, do you think that would be good enough for xenia?

that little guy is awesome. any idea how big he will get? my lfs has a sweet lookin mantis but they make me super nervous or else id like to set up a mantis only tank. You should definitely do a xenia/anthelia garden as mr. m said, it would look sweet

Thanks! Based on how big the two species of Chorisquilla on Roy's list get, I'm assuming about 1.2inches. I haven't measured mine, but that's probably about how big he is. He stays in his little cave for the most part, but I've seen him out a little bit too. If he gets any bigger I will upgrade his tank size in the future, but so far I haven't seen him molt yet.

You shouldn't worry about the mantis breaking through glass. Those are isolated incidents. Just put down egg crate under your LS and don't get a Chiragra species, since those have the hardest punches. So make sure you ask what the species is, or take a pic of it and determine what it is using Roy's list. They are such cool animals. There's a video on RC of someone playing with their mantis with a laser pointer.

Archived