Top Shelf Aquatics

mx5apex 12g cadlight tank

mx5apex

FTS 2012-12-28

_MG_7068_zpsdaaa312c.jpg

FTS 2011-11-15
FTS-11-15-11.jpg

Hello all, I have had cichlids for the last fifteen years and thought I'd add a SW tank to the hobby. So, got myself a 12g cadlight tank and here I am.

Cycle was quick, bought LS and LR from my local saltwater fish store. It took about a week and all my tests came back 0's. Waited another week before I added the CUC. Week after that got a damsel.... it's been a few weeks now and thinking about trading it in on two tank raised ocellaris clowns. LFS has some nice ones.

Here's some pics of the stand I built.

fishcab1.jpg

fishcab2.jpg

tank cycling
11-14-2010-fish-cabinet.jpg

11-14-2010-tank2.jpg

Wanted to keep possible jumpers in the tank so I made a top with plexiglass.

plexiglass-top3.jpg

Here's the damsel

damsel-1272010.jpg

damsel2-1272010.jpg

Anyone know what this is??? It's about 3/16" inch wide

I-D-animal.jpg

looks like a feather duster! they are good hitch hikers that filter feed. i like your setup!!

I appreciate the info and thanks!

Beautiful stand!

Thanks, I do some woodworking... mostly electric guitars, as a hobby.

2009guitar1-1.jpg

Hello all, I have had cichlids for the last fifteen years and thought I'd add a SW tank to the hobby. So, got myself a 12g cadlight tank and here I am.

Cycle was quick, bought LS and LR from my local saltwater fish store. It took about a week and all my tests came back 0's. Waited another week before I added the CUC. Week after that got a damsel.... it's been a few weeks now and thinking about trading it in on two tank raised ocellaris clowns. LFS has some nice ones.

Here's some pics of the stand I built.

fishcab1.jpg

fishcab2.jpg

tank cycling

11-14-2010-fish-cabinet.jpg

11-14-2010-tank2.jpg

what is that light?

what is that light?

It's the PC light version from cadlights. I could have gotten the T5 but thought the PC would be easier. After xmas I'll see how much money I have left and buy some zoanthids and see how they do under the lighting.

Took the damsel to the LFS and came home with two ocellaris clowns... the only other fish I want to add now is a yellow clown goby.

here's some pics

clown-12112010.jpg

clown2-12112010.jpg

they're about 1"inch in length

Very nice stand. Looks like you are off to a great start.

Thanks sapien!

Got some zoas and a kenya today :D ... pics

kenya-coral.jpg

zoakenya.jpg

clowns trying to be in the shot

zoakenya2.jpg

They had a bunch of the kenya in one of their large tanks. Once I get some money I'd like to get some leds so I can get nice zoanthids and rics. I have a feeling my 48w PC lighting wont cut it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, got a new fish..... firefish it also can with ich :o Didn't notice until it was in the tank. That's my fault. So now I get to make a QT and do the 8 week wait. Going to try and cycle the QT so I don't have to do WC every 2-3 days. Other than that the fish is hungry, healthy and swimming around checking things out.

Pics

firefish-12292010.jpg

FTS-12292010.jpg

Well, the firefish died this morning after two days in the QT. Didn't have any ich on him. Last nights ammonia was at .25ppm and the fish looked like it was breathing heavy. The clowns are still swimming around and eating, they never showed sings of ich.

current water #s

ammonia - less than .25ppm after 25% WC

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 0

temp - 78.5F

salinity - 1.022

Used api super ich cure - half dose for 5G

tank - eclipse 5G hexagon with an airstone

I know ammonia is toxic to fish but whats a safe range while in a QT?

Clowns are still in the QT and doing well. Added a small piece of LR to help with filtration. Just need to make it to March for the 8 week ick cycle.

Found a crab in my tank... free-bee

Anyone know what kind it is and if it's reef safe???? Found him moving around in the dark late at night.

crabpic1.jpg

Unbelievable wood-working skills.

As far as the ammonia go, it doesn't take much to knock a sick fish out. If you have any space in your back compartments, I suggest tossing some rubble back there that you can use in the QT in the future.

You're off to an excellent start. Do you plan to treat the ich with hyposalinity, or copper?

Also, are the clowns eating regularly?

Thanks zma21!

I'm using API which has benzaldehyde green and PVP, those are the only ingredients I found on the bottle. The clowns love to eat but I only give them 2 small pinches of food a day.

Ah, ok.

Cupramine would be a suggestion of mine.

Just make sure they keep eating. Ich rarely kills fish. However, ich infested fish commonly stop eating, and thus starve.

If the latter happens, look for some garlic product to dip the food in. It will perk their taste buds right up.

Much appreciated zma21! They look pretty hardy and always swimming around. I do 1 gallon WC every other day just for the fun of it and to lessen the ammonia. Salinity is around 1.020 in the QT. I'll have to look for the Cupramine and give it a try.

Thanks!

Now If I can only figure out why one of my small zoa colonies is rotting... snail seems to be eating what's left. Maybe that unknown crab had something to do with it???

Archived