Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wilioli's 20L Sanctum

Wilioli

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDIT: This post is now going to be the previous FTS's and tank info

--------------------------------------------------------------

Like a lot of people here, the petco sale caught my attention and 'made' me get a tank -- a 20 long. Also, the 10 gallon I originally started with might be having some leaking problems. It's a 10 year old tank that was handed down to me, that deserves an upgrade. So here we are. Researching all I need to know first, before i start anything here.

Equipment:

- Sfiligoi 150w modular Metal Halide fixture w/ Radium 20000k bulb

- AC 50 AC 110 mod w/ attached 26w 5700k daylight bulb/fixture

- Eheim 100watt heater

- 2 hydor nano powerheads x 425gph

Substrate:

- 5lbs base rock

- 12lbs haitian rock

- 18lbs fiji rock

- 20lbs sand

Livestock:

- 2 oscellaris clownfish

- 1 orange spotted goby (A. gutatta) RIP 12/29/2010

- six line wrasse RIP 1/21/2011

- 4 hermit crabs

- 4 trochus snail

Corals:

- purple xenia, pulsing xenia, toadstool, devils hand, green star polyp, blue and purple mushrooms, green ricordeas

- purple eye acan, watermelon chalice, blue eye maze, purple favia, frogspawn

- various zoa frags (radioactive green, watermelon, gorilla nipple, deep water, yellow submarine, pink people eater,

- orange cats paw, green branching monti, red polyp encrusting monti

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous FTS 3/16/2011

day126.jpg

Previous FTS 2/28/2011

day96.jpg

(Previous FTS 2/5/2011)

day80.jpg

(Previous FTS: 1/5/2011)

day42.jpg

(Previous FTS: 12/28/2010)

day34.jpg

(Previous FTS: 12/3/2010)

Day9.jpg

(Previous FTS: 11/27/2010)

day3.jpg

I am going sumpless -- when are you starting yours?

Not too sure on the transfer -- gonna order the powerheads and then buy like 2lbs of fiji rock to seed the 35lbs of base rock I have... as well as 12 pounds of haitian rock that will be transfered !! so im thinkin 2 weeks min?

I have the 40B right here.. and im just staring at it.. lol.. just so expensive to get that one started... plus might be moving, bla bla bla -- 20L it is!

well after you move, 40b with a 20L sump :D

I wanted to use the 20L I have as a sump on the 46 i'm setting up for the folks, but it didn't fit in the stand :(

well after you move, 40b with a 20L sump :D

I wanted to use the 20L I have as a sump on the 46 i'm setting up for the folks, but it didn't fit in the stand :(

yup that's the plan!

Alrite.. well im bored.. Waiting ...argh... anyways, here's the tank next to the 10g.. once i swap everything the 10g is bye bye.

Tank.jpg

and then the 35lbs of base rock that i didnt pull out cuase it needs to be washed....

Baserock.jpg

annnnd, thats that.. FOR NOW!

I want to start mine up but I don't know if I'm moving and where to.

Right now its just my 20H running its course.

yea i might be moving in 6-8 months.. but i dont think this 10g is gonna last for that long.. and the 20l was only 20 bucks! lol

Woo!

lol

Looking good! But I'd add a little more water! :lol:

lol, its full of water, the angle makes it invisible. lol

phi delt reefer

hey Wilioli - if you are looking for some rock to silicone to the back glass eco-reefer in kitchner has flat cut "eco rock" that is about 2-3" thick. pm me if you want his contact details. I believe its the same as the marco rocks flat cut rock - looks like this

hey Wilioli - if you are looking for some rock to silicone to the back glass eco-reefer in kitchner has flat cut "eco rock" that is about 2-3" thick. pm me if you want his contact details. I believe its the same as the marco rocks flat cut rock - looks like this

thanks phi -- im good -- ive bought too much base rock not thinking about the gluing to the back.. im either going to use the ones i already have that are flight.. or strategically place the filter in any sort of deadspace on the back.. but thanks a lot, appreciate it!

FELLOW CANADIANS! I've found a company in quebec that sells fishneedit fixtures! This way we can avoid the duty/taxes that can be imposed at the border. Its a new company: http://www.arcticbubbles.com Not sure if the website is up and running, but if anyone's interested, PM me and ill give u more contact details. I'm gettin my halides from there!

awesome. what wattage halide are you getting? and what bulb color temp?

150w -- looking to get the 20000k bulb cause im not exactly sure on how top dawg quality the bulbs are

Fellow Canadian. I will be checking out your links :3 I'm Burlington Located.

nice nice -- yea i didnt' think that a canadian would respond so quickly -- the site isn't up yet.. but if you want his email let me know, he responds back real fast -- PM me

I'd recommend the 10,000. i hear you get better growth there. higher color temps seem to be just for looks. it all depends whether you want your light looking purple or crisp white-blue or something in between.

nice nice -- yea i didnt' think that a canadian would respond so quickly -- the site isn't up yet.. but if you want his email let me know, he responds back real fast -- PM me

I am making preps to set up a 23 - 33 gallon tank. not exactly sure it's size. Not until I get to see it.

I am making preps to set up a 23 - 33 gallon tank. not exactly sure it's size. Not until I get to see it.

good stuff, when u get started make a thread here so we can follow.. burlington eh? Im up north in barrie

I'd recommend the 10,000. i hear you get better growth there. higher color temps seem to be just for looks. it all depends whether you want your light looking purple or crisp white-blue or something in between.

I want the something in between... I heard the same with 10000k. I don't really want the purple look.. but I didnt' watn just a white light. So i figured 14000k would be great. Now I'm also hearing people say that 20000k bulbs that aren't brand name won't give u a full 20000k effect -- rather a 14000k or maybe less.. I guess this is my experiment...

good stuff, when u get started make a thread here so we can follow.. burlington eh? Im up north in barrie.

I have a thread for my 10 gallon which is a year and 8 months old. I I only recently joined this forum though. Kind of wish I had long ago. its like I had the tank but i learned nothing. Now I am learning what I can.

10,000K is not just white light. its kinda like white combo'd with a bit of blue. nice crisp look IMO. choose your stock light bulb to be 10,000K to test it out.l

just to confirm with u all -- i can run this tank with rock and water and NO filter right? just powerheads? i only have one filter thats on the 10, and id like to keep it there... and transfer it when the actual tank transfer happens... so for the week or so that im observing this tank -- no filter is necessary?

Archived