Top Shelf Aquatics

Temperate / Coldwater Livestock Group Buy

sango

I'm starting a temperate livestock group buy. See the list of available livestock and prices below. I am ready to start taking orders and payment (PayPal) now. I will have it all shipped to myself in San Diego, then ship individual orders to buyers.

Pink Seastar - $10 each

Bat Star - $5.50 each

Purple Urchin - $4 each

Also available are assorted snails, limpets, crabs, and macroalgae. Shipping method is up to you, shipping costs will be determined on an individual basis. I'm not making money out of this, just hoping to help out fellow hobbyists. Please send me a PM if you're interested.

WARNING: LIVE ARRIVAL NOT GUARANTEED!

I would be interested in a small bat star, ideally a small one, not a fully grown one. I also live in San Diego, so I can pick it up.

I would also like to get something that I can use to show that it was collected legally, like a copy of the collector's license, and/or a copy of the sales invoice showing the vendors business name and address. If I'm ever asked by law enforcement I'd like to be able to document that I bought it from a legal source, and didn't illegally collect it from a tide pool. Where/who are you buying this stuff from?

BTW, not sure if it's clear from the original post, but the prices above do not include the price of having the livestock shipped to me. To make it fair for everyone, the cost of shipping will be divided in proportion to the dollar amount of your order relative to the dollar amount of the entire order. I can't predict the exact shipping cost (it will depend on the package weight, which I cannot control) but the company charges $12.00 for packaging and the shipping method is FedEx Priority Overnight.

AquaticEngineer
I am planning to place the order on Monday evening. So far I have confirmed orders from C-Rad and AquaticEngineer.

Cool, shoot me an invoice same as C-Rad for the legal reasons and let me know how much :)

I better get moving on the second tank this weekend then :D

.....Also available are assorted snails, limpets, crabs, and macroalgae.....

Any idea what kind of critters they are specifically? You should see if your supplier can ship you a "sample" bag and let him know you have a potential market for him B)

I would prefer not to publish the company name here. There are *very* few commercial sources for temperate livestock, and as far as I can tell the few that do exist are set up to cater exclusively to the scientific community, and not to hobbyists. They expect bulk orders from professionals who know exactly what they want and how to care for it. If the company starts getting flooded with requests for a bunch of individual small orders, then I suspect they will put in a blanket "no-hobbyist" policy.

bahamas reef lover: This group buy is only for people who have a temperate biotope aquarium. Send me a PM if you're still interested.

AquaticEngineer

Do you know where they are being collected from? Just want to make sure I have similar temps, and also for species identification.

They are being collected from Southern California. The coastal water temperature ranges from 55 to 70 degrees depending on the time of year. This time of year the temps are about 65, which is what I have my aquarium set to. The species names are S. purpuratus and Patiria miniata.

AquaticEngineer

All three of my Bat Stars are eating silversides already :) They look awesome, all three are different colors, one orange, one red, and one grey mottled.

They are gonna look awesome with my other 2 starfish I got this weekend :D

Archived