Pod Your Reef

Red Sea Max 130 - Add Moonlights

uxdesigner

Having recently upgraded from a Biocube 14 to an RSM 130 the one thing I missed were the brighter moonlights that the RSM is lacking. I went ahead and opened up the hood to replace the bulbs and noticed it would be an easy upgrade to add a couple blue LED's. Decided to go with 3 extra lights for a total of 5 including the 2 stock lights. There is no need to add an extra power source since I just tapped into the original power converter and the leds I used have resistors built it. Overall I am very happy with the upgrade with a nice bright blue color at night. Follow along and let me know if you are interested in some of the LED's I have about 30 if anyone is interested.

Stock led light

IMG_0313.jpg

New led light

IMG_0314.jpg

3 leds installed

IMG_0315.jpg

Connection hub

IMG_0316.jpg

New leds on

IMG_0317.jpg

Shot of new leds from under hood

IMG_0318.jpg

Close up of new led

IMG_0319.jpg

Brighter than the originals

IMG_0320.jpg

• 1 year later...
Red Sea Reefer

I just got my RSM 130 up today. YES the moonlights are horrible. Do you still have any LED lights or know where I can get some to do your mod. Do you have any pics with the moon lighting on. Thanks for your time.

Having recently upgraded from a Biocube 14 to an RSM 130 the one thing I missed were the brighter moonlights that the RSM is lacking. I went ahead and opened up the hood to replace the bulbs and noticed it would be an easy upgrade to add a couple blue LED's. Decided to go with 3 extra lights for a total of 5 including the 2 stock lights. There is no need to add an extra power source since I just tapped into the original power converter and the leds I used have resistors built it. Overall I am very happy with the upgrade with a nice bright blue color at night. Follow along and let me know if you are interested in some of the LED's I have about 30 if anyone is interested.

Stock led light

IMG_0313.jpg

New led light

IMG_0314.jpg

3 leds installed

IMG_0315.jpg

Connection hub

IMG_0316.jpg

New leds on

IMG_0317.jpg

Shot of new leds from under hood

IMG_0318.jpg