inTank Media Baskets

Custom Build in Opti-White with PAR38

BigBad82

Updated FTS 2/16/11

tank1new.bmp

Tank Size - 24" x 16" x 12"

Tank Volume - 15g

Lighting - 2 x PAR38 4 Color RapidLeds and 1 x PAR20 Blue Led for Moonlighting.

Flow - Hydor Koralia Nano 1600 & 900 and a MaxiJet400

Heating - TC10 Controller

DIY Media Basket - Floss, Carbon, Phosguard and Purigen

Next up was sorting out a fixture to hold my PAR38. Made a trip to Ikea and £9.99 later I came back with a perfect solution. It's not fixed in place yet as I need to cut a bit off bottom to lower it but it'll give you some idea of what it'll look like.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Been doing a lot of thinking for this next build and decided I would go down the custom route rather than buying an all in one. Tank is on order and it's 14" x 14" x 14" with 3 rear chambers to house a custom media basket, tunze 9002 & chaeto and obviously the return chamber which will be a Maxi Jet 400 and I'll be running a Koralia Nano 900 in the display area. So first up I've got my stand already which is a solid oak cube which is 14" x 14" x 23".

Next up was sorting out a fixture to hold my PAR38. Made a trip to Ikea and £9.99 later I came back with a perfect solution. It's not fixed in place yet as I need to cut a bit off bottom to lower it but it'll give you some idea of what it'll look like.

You might want to wait till you have the tank up and runing before cuting the light fixture ?

Thanks, I'm only cutting off 3 inches so that it clears the skirting board so I can then push the stand right up against it. Then when I secure it properly I'll be making sure the height is adjustable to suit what I need.

Where did you order the tank from?

I've ordered the tank off a company in Scotland who made a tank for someone I know, like the quality and his flexibility to meet all my needs and it was for a fair price.

Couldn't organise a group buy here in the UK quick enough for a Par38 from Nanocustoms or a Par30 from BoostLed sorry guys hopefully we can do business in the future. Anyway I had to settle for a bulb that I could buy in the UK , picked it up for £50 so worth a try I thought. However the jury is still out on this bulb as previously stated the heatsink doesn't look adequate and we know very little about the company supplying them. Anyway £50 not a great deal of cash to lose if it doesn't work out, here's a few pics of the 20k.

While I await my tank I'm trying to sort out stocking plans for the 10.5 gallon softies/lps reef tank.

I already have a yellow clown goby and a green banded goby and was thinking of adding 2 of the following:

red headed goby

hector's goby

wheeler's shrimp goby

Also choices for inverts:

pom pom crab or porcelain anemone crab

2-3 sexy shrimp or a cleaner shrimp

Anybody have any thoughts on above or other suggestions?

animalmaster6
While I await my tank I'm trying to sort out stocking plans for the 10.5 gallon softies/lps reef tank.

I already have a yellow clown goby and a green banded goby and was thinking of adding 2 of the following:

red headed goby

hector's goby

wheeler's shrimp goby

Also choices for inverts:

pom pom crab or porcelain anemone crab

2-3 sexy shrimp or a cleaner shrimp

Anybody have any thoughts on above or other suggestions?

Hello :)

I like the idea of adding the Red Headed Goby and the Wheeler's Watchman Goby. Both are really interesting fish. Wheeler's Watchmans are a really cool shrimp goby.

Hector's Gobies need lots of microfauna and filamentous algae. If they don't have a large amount they won't do well. This applies with Rainsford's Gobies too. They are one of the more challenging gobies to keep. They are very interesting, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Some other ideas include most gobies of the genus Trimma and Eviota. ORA Tiger Gobies and Neon Gobies are a nice addition as well.

As with the inverts, You could do all of them IMO. All are peaceful. Keep the CLeaner well fed. There have been a few accounts of them being oppurtunistic feeders.

Your build is looking good, I like the stand. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Hey, thanks for that tank should be complete next week so hopefully have some more interesting images for you all to browse at. Animalmaster6 appreciate your input, finding a hector's goby for sale in my area was going to be extremly difficult anyway so i'm glad you've said what you have, love the wheeler's and red head so looking forward to getting this tank going now, it's going to be paradise for gobies!

May check out a neon aswell tho as may be able to drop the cleaner shrimp if i get one. ;)

animalmaster6
Hey, thanks for that tank should be complete next week so hopefully have some more interesting images for you all to browse at. Animalmaster6 appreciate your input, finding a hector's goby for sale in my area was going to be extremly difficult anyway so i'm glad you've said what you have, love the wheeler's and red head so looking forward to getting this tank going now, it's going to be paradise for gobies!

May check out a neon aswell tho as may be able to drop the cleaner shrimp if i get one. ;)

Always happy to put in some goby input! :)

Are you thinking of getting the Neon because it's a cleaner goby? Both the Cleaner Shrimp and Neon Goby don't always clean, in fact, they may not clean at all.

Always happy to put in some goby input! :)

Are you thinking of getting the Neon because it's a cleaner goby? Both the Cleaner Shrimp and Neon Goby don't always clean, in fact, they may not clean at all.

Really.....I didn't realise this, might knock both of them ideas on the head I think. Thanks for that, good job you asked.

animalmaster6

They both do clean but there is not a big chance of cleaning on small gobies. The CLeaner might. The Neon might too but there is only a small chance.

They both do clean but there is not a big chance of cleaning on small gobies. The CLeaner might. The Neon might too but there is only a small chance.

Animal are there any small gobys of the same species that would school together in the water column ?

animalmaster6
Animal are there any small gobys of the same species that would school together in the water column ?

The mini dartfish would. Trimma tevegae also would. Bryaninops natans also would but they need SPS.

What's the prognosis with the bulb? I'm about to order one (I think it's the same company). Does the heatsink get very hot?

I've only ran it for around 4 hours at one time so far, and it was fine to touch it was just warm, hope that helps. You need any other info regarding the bulb just let me know or pm me.

Just added another from my shortlist today to go with the 2 I already have in my old tank waiting to be transferred. Got a Wheeler's Shrimp Goby to go with my Yellow Clown and Green Banded, here's some pics:

gulfsurfer101

Awesome fish. I had one of the yellow goby's in a 5g hex I biult once but he never would come out. Yours looks like a free swimmer though. My tanks are both bare bottom but I would like to do a shrimp goby pair in one if I ever do decide to add sand.

Thanks, yeah i'm lucky my yellow is always on display only goes into hiding when i turn the lights out. I still haven't decided if i'm gonna pair my wheeler up with a tiger pistol yet will wait until the new tank arrives first then give it some more thought.

Your gobies look awesome!

I'm really glad you ended up going with the Wheeler's Shrimp Goby.

Thank you, I'm really pleased with the purchase and my stocking so far I feel it's a good balance. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for a red headed goby in the future.

Archived